Thato'sfan

Fall and Winter Leagues

From Roch:

(Free Agent Jhan) Mariñez is going to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic, a group that also includes left-hander Luis Gonzalez, catcher Audry Perez, first baseman Aderlin Rodriguez, infielder Garabez Rosa, shortstops Anderson Feliz and Rubén Tejada, and outfielder Ademar Rifaela.

Sardiñas, outfielder Anthony Santander and left-hander Luis Ysla will play in Venezuela.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-wont-leave-their-tender-moments-alone.html

McKenna was 2 for 4 in his first game w/ a walk and 2 runs scored.  Flaa pitched 1 1/3 inning in relief, allowing 3 hits and 4 walks, talk about luck.  Erwin pitched 1 inning, allowing 1 run and 3 walks.  He did strike out 3.  Obviously command continues to be a problem for O's pitchers. 

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

McKenna was 2 for 4 in his first game w/ a walk and 2 runs scored.  Flaa pitched 1 1/3 inning in relief, allowing 3 hits and 4 walks, talk about luck.  Erwin pitched 1 inning, allowing 1 run and 3 walks.  He did strike out 3.  Obviously command continues to be a problem for O's pitchers. 

McKenna was 1-2 with a 3B and 2 BB yesterday.

38 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Would posters of pictures please identify the players; I don't know minor leaguers well enough to recognize them.

The last two pictures in this thread are Chris Lee and Tyler Erwin.

• Upvote 1

Surprise Saguaros @ Glendale Desert Dogs

Went to the game at the Desert Dogs' home field, Camelback Ranch.

Sat behind a long-time pro-scout (currently with the Dodgers) -- so that I could view his speed gun readings. Maybe, I should set up a GoFundMe account to subsidize the purchase of all of the scouting paraphernalia -- speed gun, millisecond timer, player handbook, scout's ID badge, etc.

Fielding was much crisper than I viewed on Tuesday, but the pace of play was tedious as many of the pitchers were uncertain of the location of home plate.

Speaking of pace of play, the AFL is a testing ground for many rule changes. I believe the current rules being employed are already enforced in the minor leagues. A timer is displayed on the scoreboard for the inning break time limit of 2:05. The batter is to be in the batters box by 1:45. The batter is not permitted to leave the batters box between pitches -- I saw a first (for me) today; a strike was called on the batter for stepping out the batters box. The pitcher can take no longer than 15 seconds from the time the ball is returned to him to begin his motion to the plate or start his stretch setup. Mound visits are limited to 6 in 9 innings and I saw another first today as Glendale exhausted their quota. I missed another first as I left after 9 innings and the AFL employs starting extra innings with a runner at 2B.

Unfortunately, Vlad Jr. did not play.

However, a few of the O's farmhands did and a couple of them looked good.

Lefty Chris Lee is again looking like a prospect. With the bases empty he threw from a decent windup and he picked a runner off 1st by quickly stepping off the rubber and sidearming an accurate throw to first base. He throws with a 3/4 slot and from the extreme 1B side of the rubber. He consistently hit 95mph with an occasional 96mph. I saw a couple of sharp sliders and an especially good one breaking down and away to a LH hitter to record 1 of his 2 K's. Though he only threw half of pitches for strikes, he tossed mostly 1st pitch strikes , was squeezed a bit and walked 3. The only semi-hard hit ball was a liner to the 2B who leaped, caught it and then dropped it over his back shoulder. He forced 3 pop fly outs, 2 punchouts and the pickoff. I was surprisingly impressed with Lee.

Ryan McKenna led off and played center. Just a few unchallenging plays in the field and he showed a good arm and excellent speed on the bases. Calm at the plate and he didn't looked overmatched, even on his 2 strikeouts -- one swinging at a high/outside strike and another looking at a closely called breaking pitch. Patient and fouling off pitches, he reached the 3-2 count in 3 at bats and his 2 hits were sharply struck. He alertly scored from second as his teammate reached safely at 1B on a close play. Liked what I saw from McKenna.

Saw Jay Flaa (pronounced flaw?) for the first time. Not charged with a run but allowed inherited runners to score. Saved from further damage by good fielding plays behind him. Faced 10 batters - 3 hits, 4 walks and all batted balls (including the outs) were struck sharply. 92mph on the fastball. Threw only 1/3 of his pitches for strikes.

Tyler Erwin made his second appearance after a one day rest. Was unbelievably wild. In working one full inning, he threw less than half of his 38 pitches for strikes to 8 batters, missing badly a lot. Though only charged with one run, he allowed inherited runners to score. No pitches were hit fair during his appearance. He walked 3, hit 2 and struck out 3. Ugly -- other than that, he showed the same as when I first saw him on Tuesday.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, AZRon said:

Saw Jay Flaa (pronounced flaw?) for the first time.

In Frederick and Bowie, the announcers pronounced it "Fla." The "aa" is the same sound as "ha."

In non-Jay news, Ryan McKenna was going to be the Orioles Bowman Hitting Challenge representative, until it got rained out.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

In Frederick and Bowie, the announcers pronounced it "Fla." The "aa" is the same sound as "ha."

That’s so disappointing.    I’ve been thinking of him as Jay Flay ever since we drafted him.   Much more poetic.  

• Haha 1

Arizona Fall League Orioles stats update 10/15:

Hitters:

Ryan McKenna 9ab 4r 3h 1 2b 1 3b 4bb 5k .333 avg

Steve Wilkerson 13ab 1r 4h 3 2b 6bb 4k .308 avg

Martin Cervenka 4ab 0h

Pitchers

John Flaa 2g 2.1inn 3h 5bb 0k 3.43whip 0.00era

Chris Lee 1g 2.0inn 1h 3bb 2k 2.00whip 0.00era

Tyler Erwin 3g 3.0inn 2h 3bb 5k 1.67whip 3.00era

Tanner Chleborad 2g 2.0inn 3h 0bb 3k 1.5whip 4.5era

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2018 at 1:51 AM, Frobby said:

That’s so disappointing.    I’ve been thinking of him as Jay Flay ever since we drafted him.   Much more poetic.