Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round B of the Rule 4 Draft receive a pool of $6,025,400, while clubs that receive a Competitive Balance Pick in Round A of the Rule 4 Draft receive $5,504,500. All other clubs receive $4,983,500.

So looks like the Orioles Pool was higher than 17 teams before anyone was signed but lower than the Reds, Marlins, Brewers, Twins, Athletics, Rays. I am not sure how much of those teams have spent money. 

I guess you didn't believe me, that's ok, I'll show my work begrudgingly. If you've been paying attention you'd realize I don't just make things up.

The A's, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres, Reds and White Sox are in the maximum penalty, and cannot sign an individual player for more than $300,000 this period.

So the A's, Reds are out on big names (Padres have an equal starting pool and are out as well).

Marlins
Yoelvis Sanchez, OF, Dominican Republic - $400,000
Christhian, Rodriguez, SS, Venezuela -- $300,000

Marlins have spent 700k and have less than the O's now.

Brewers
Erys Bautista, OF, Dominican Republic -- $500,000
Rafael Martinez, CF, Venezuela -- $435,000
Carlos Roa, SS, Venezuela -- $385,000
Jhonny Cabrera, C, Venezuela -- $300,000

Brewers have spent over 1.5M and now have less than the O's now.

Rays
Daury del Rosario, SS, Dominican Republic -- $600,000
Daniel Gonzalez, LHP, Venezuela -- $400,000
Bryan Dum, LHP, Venezuela -- $385,000
Estanli Castillo, OF, Dominican Republic -- $325,000
Justino Dominguez, RHP, Dominican Republic -- $325,000

Rays have spent over 1.9M and now have less than the O's now.

PLAYER (3)
POS.
COUNTRY
TEAM
AMOUNT
Misael Urbina OF Venezuela MIN

$2,750,000

Twins have spent 2.75M and now have less than the Orioles.

All the teams with equal pools have signed someone.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Jumping in the IFA market takes time. Been trying to say that to everyone asking why we haven't participated yet. These teams build relationships and have standing down there. We don't, at least not yet.

Maybe if we just throw the most $ at him he would, but who knows. We are behind the curve and it's going to take time to build it up down there.

Can you "build relationships down there" with Cuban players?   I'm not sure how much the travel restrictions have been eased.   Are there teams sending lots of scouts to Cuba now?

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Can you "build relationships down there" with Cuban players?   I'm not sure how much the travel restrictions have been eased.   Are there teams sending lots of scouts to Cuba now?

This is what is going to be hard for Baltimore. All the other teams have in roads with the trainers,with the handlers, and have baseball complexes for the kids to work out at. I don't know how much the handlers are going to trust a new team with no relationship just jumping in there. It might take a few years to start landing the big fish.

46 minutes ago, Nite said:

I understand the whole building a relationship, getting scouts, bla bla the international market takes time and you don't just "jump in". I get it, and I agree UNLESS...

Someone else did all of the work for you. Ichiro was someone you tried to outbid for. Yu Darvish the same. Sure there were some can't miss busts too, but we never blame the teams who got these guys for the players failure. The homework has been done already on VVM. Throw your international coffers at him and make him decide the money over brand name of the team. If he flops oh well, try again. He's someone you TAKE the risk on.

The others that you need to build a relationship with, really scout and put time into are the ones you do your homework on before cutting the check. However when the smart kid in class does all of the work and you can just copy it, DO IT!!!

Exactly.  The O's may not be able to convince him to sign, but they at least need to make him a big offer and make him turn it down.   They need to make a sustained commitment to the Latin American market as well, but for now, this year, this would be a great way to improve the team's talent and to send a message to the market that they want to compete for top Latin American talent going forward.  

51 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

One other thing is someone saw Victor Victor on social media with a bunch of cash. If that was the case, decent chance he committed and it hasn't been reported.

All you gotta do is Google "ig Victor Victor Mesa" and then you, too, can see for yourself! 

Just now, 99ct said:

All you gotta do is Google "ig Victor Victor Mesa" and then you, too, can see for yourself! 

EDIT: Also, it wasn't "a bunch of cash," just someone who looked like he was living a nice lifestyle...

13 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

How does Mess compare to Diaz? If the O's  signed him, would he be the Os number one prospect?

No, he'd likely fit in at #3/#4 behind Mountcastle and Diaz, POSSIBLY Hays.

He has some nice upside and could definitely move up depending how he performs though.

19 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

How does Mess compare to Diaz? If the O's  signed him, would he be the Os number one prospect?

I haven't seen him in game action, but from batting practice videos and scouting reports, he'd be after the Mountcastle/Hall/Diaz group, maybe behind Hays and Harvey as well depending on the severity of their respective injuries, similar to Grayson Rodriguez. It's like getting another 1st round pick.

Someone you put right into Frederick or Bowie from the start. PLUS because he and his unproven brother want to be in the same organization, it's basically a BOGO deal. Two for the price of one. It's well worth the risk. They flop oh well, better to waste your money on that than Travis Snyder...

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I guess you didn't believe me, that's ok, I'll show my work begrudgingly. If you've been paying attention you'd realize I don't just make things up.

The A's, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres, Reds and White Sox are in the maximum penalty, and cannot sign an individual player for more than $300,000 this period.

So the A's, Reds are out on big names (Padres have an equal starting pool and are out as well).

Marlins
Yoelvis Sanchez, OF, Dominican Republic - $400,000
Christhian, Rodriguez, SS, Venezuela -- $300,000

Marlins have spent 700k and have less than the O's now.

Brewers
Erys Bautista, OF, Dominican Republic -- $500,000
Rafael Martinez, CF, Venezuela -- $435,000
Carlos Roa, SS, Venezuela -- $385,000
Jhonny Cabrera, C, Venezuela -- $300,000

Brewers have spent over 1.5M and now have less than the O's now.

Rays
Daury del Rosario, SS, Dominican Republic -- $600,000
Daniel Gonzalez, LHP, Venezuela -- $400,000
Bryan Dum, LHP, Venezuela -- $385,000
Estanli Castillo, OF, Dominican Republic -- $325,000
Justino Dominguez, RHP, Dominican Republic -- $325,000

Rays have spent over 1.9M and now have less than the O's now.

PLAYER (3)
POS.
COUNTRY
TEAM
AMOUNT
Misael Urbina OF Venezuela MIN

$2,750,000

Twins have spent 2.75M and now have less than the Orioles.

All the teams with equal pools have signed someone.

Thanks for work

It sounds like it's a prime opportunity to add at least one organizational top 5 prospect for the cost of a high 1st round pick. Sounds like a no brainier for the O's to make the effort. 5 million is pretty much the flyer the O's took on Kim.

5 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

It sounds like it's a prime opportunity to add at least one organizational top 5 prospect for the cost of a high 1st round pick. Sounds like a no brainier for the O's to make the effort. 5 million is pretty much the flyer the O's took on Kim.

They saved more than that by trading Manny.