Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Waiting for them to announce a couple 19 year olds that have already been released from their original teams.

I think they are counting Eddie and Brooks as the international signings.

10 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

There's still some good prospects out there to be had. Of the BA top 50 the following are left.

1)Victor Victor Mesa- #1 by a long shot and probably a top 50 prospect in the game immediately

24)Sandy Gaston(RHP)- A 16 year old that has already hit 100mph. The question is, will his command or secondary pitches progress enough to become relevant.

25)Alexander Ramirez(OF)- Not eligible to sign until Aug 29th, above average contact and bat speed with average speed. Likely a corner outfielder

34)Fernando Villalobos(C)-Not able to sign until the MLB commisioner's office OKs Mexican Prospects again,  he's got good contact skills, with minimal power and sub average speed. Decent pop times for a young guy, but needs to work on receiving.

45)Jose Bonilla(SS)- Good power, some swing and miss , below average speed, a strong arm and a first step that makes 3B seem probably.

Sounds good.  Sign them all.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s a good point in general, but the Orioles don’t have the scouting or infrastructure/organization to find the diamonds in the rough right now. That’s going to take some time to ramp up.

Fair point, but did the Phillies think Sixto was going to be a legit stud prospect when they signed him for 30k or whatever it was?  Did the Braves project greatness for Acuna when they signed him for 100k?  

We might not have the scouting or infrastructure to hone in on diamonds in the rough but at least they're doing SOMETHING.  

I don't think anyone here has said that they expect immediate dividends.  This board is a smart, educated group of baseball fans.  

I think some of us are just happy that they announced a decision a couple weeks ago do to this and now they're doubling down on their decision.  Can we live? :)

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Fair point, but did the Phillies think Sixto was going to be a legit stud prospect when they signed him for 30k or whatever it was?  Did the Braves project greatness for Acuna when they signed him for 100k?  

We might not have the scouting or infrastructure to hone in on diamonds in the rough but at least they're doing SOMETHING.  

I don't think anyone here has said that they expect immediate dividends.  This board is a smart, educated group of baseball fans.  

I think some of us are just happy that they announced a decision a couple weeks ago do to this and now they're doubling down on their decision.  Can we live? :)

I would like to see fruit and activity on their part, and not just lip service.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I would like to see fruit and activity on their part, and not just lip service.

The old man is out, John and DD seems to have free reign...and I hope that Brady has been pushed to the margins.  

I think they're on the right track. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The old man is out, John and DD seems to have free reign...and I hope that Brady has been pushed to the margins.  

I hope so, it does appear to be the case.

I guess, I am just a doubting Thomas.

Imo, this organization has proven to be incompetent in almost every way possible. They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Peter is out and things will change for the positive. I certainly hope so. But until I see action, I don’t care what Duq, or Brady or any of the Angelos family say.

Here's the full quote from Duquette:

Duquette talks international signings: During the rain delay last night, Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette joined the MASN telecast. Click here to watch his 22-minute interview, in which he discussed several topics that will be of interest to fans.

That includes the team’s renewed committment to signing international players.

“The Orioles are going to be involved in international recruiting, and that’s a real passion for me. I have excellent contacts in international recruiting and I’ve been able to do well in terms of being aggresive on the international market to bring some talent.

“I’m glad that we are doing that again. It’s the right thing for the organization. We have an established staff. We have a team in the Dominican. We have scouts that go around the world and we’re in the process of signing several players for this new period that just started July 2.

“We are going to add additional scouts and resources to that. The ownership group and team is behind it. I think it will help us add to our talent base as we sign some players from around the world. We’ve had some good young position players that we’ve had our eye on for a period of time, and we’re going to sign a few in the next couple of weeks.”

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/yusniel-diaz-it-feels-good-to-be-the-key-of-this-trade.html

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Me too Moose.

The really exciting part about this "Angelos Sons taking off the reins on DD" thing is that moves are actually happening now. It must have taken months and months for the sons to pull the team out of PA's hands, but now that the people who are handling the finances and baseball operations are not hamstrung by a borderline comatose old man, we should be good to rock and roll and properly rebuild.

33 minutes ago, utvolzac said:

Imo, this organization has proven to be incompetent in almost every way possible. They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Peter is out and things will change for the positive. I certainly hope so. But until I see action, I don’t care what Duq, or Brady or any of the Angelos family say.

We've already seen action. Manny and Britton traded. Got some good prospects in return. 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

We've already seen action. Manny and Britton traded. Got some good prospects in return. 

I’m referring to Duq’s claim about investing in international scouting.

1 minute ago, utvolzac said:

I’m referring to Duq’s claim about investing in international scouting.

How are we as fans going to “see action” in that regard?    They could sign 10 scouts and we’d never really know.    I assume if Dan says we’re going to do that, he’s not just blowing smoke, but I’m not expecting to read some list of the scouts we hired.    

Just now, Frobby said:

How are we as fans going to “see action” in that regard?    They could sign 10 scouts and we’d never really know.    I assume if Dan says we’re going to do that, he’s not just blowing smoke, but I’m not expecting to read some list of the scouts we hired.    

It would be good PR if they did make it public. Have Melewski or Roch include it in one of their posts. 

Hey, we're going to do something turns into Look we did something. 

Not to beat a dead horse here but this whole situation is emblematic of how much of a failure Peter Angelos was as an owner. You have a GM who’s arguably biggest strength is identifying international talent and relegate him to parameters in which he has to be needlessly creative to find talent. This is the guy who signed Vlad, traded for Pedro, and while he was here signed Chen, Kim, Gonzalez all who had significant impacts on playoff teams. Recently he signed Alex Wells who has turned himself into somewhat of a prospect. Bottomline is that someone with such a track record of international scouting prowess should not have been relegated to searching the bargain bins of Mexican baseball leagues and Australia. It’s just negligence on ownership’s part that not only it had to be like that in general, but that it went on this long. This is all without mentioning how well Macphail has done in that arena with Philly.

Sorry , like I said, dead horse….but still, cannot be said enough. I hope the chains are finally off.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1