Jump to content
Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, joelala said:

And make sure we tell him about Little Havana in Locust Point.  It'll be a lock.

Now I'm thinking about ducking out of work early for a few mojitos!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

I just wish there was more analysis behind than "Duquette said they were going to sign more guys."

This. DD talked up International from day 1. Then trumpeted Jomar Reyes and the other guy we signed as a major evolution of our Int'l program. I've haven't seen anything that connects the O's to VVM. The "dark horse" comment was random speculation by a writer based on the O's having the most Int'l bonus $$$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mcgraw238 said:

This. DD talked up International from day 1. Then trumpeted Jomar Reyes and the other guy we signed as a major evolution of our Int'l program. I've haven't seen anything that connects the O's to VVM. The "dark horse" comment was random speculation by a writer based on the O's having the most Int'l bonus $$$$.

This is a procese. Doesn't matter what DD said from day one if PA shut him down (which he did) with the IFA market.

This'll take time. We don't have much of a presence down there since we haven't been involved much at all. We aren't just going to start signing a bunch of top guys even it we are truly going to start being players in the market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orioles have dabbed into Cuba more then the other countries and where one of the favorites to sign Miguel Sano out of Cuba when he became eligble and some believed they had him until Twins jumped in and snatched him last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bpilktree67 said:

The Orioles have dabbed into Cuba more then the other countries and where one of the favorites to sign Miguel Sano out of Cuba when he became eligble and some believed they had him until Twins jumped in and snatched him last minute.

Miguel Sano is Dominican. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer a poor kid from Cuba an extra million dollars and it wont matter what connection Miami has.  Now if the Orioles do that is a different story but if there is a huge difference in our offer to Miami's he will be signing with the Orioles.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Wouldn't get your hopes up guys:

Re: Mesa to Miami

What does this have to do with the Orioles chances one way or another?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Wouldn't get your hopes up guys:

Re: Mesa to Miami

Couple of guys bantering in twitter doesn’t mean anything. One had the bright suggestion to spend $20 million this year on international players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

What does this have to do with the Orioles chances one way or another?

Because we're the team that just jumped into the derby?

3 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Couple of guys bantering in twitter doesn’t mean anything. One had the bright suggestion to spend $20 million this year on international players. 

One is a writer for a Marlins blog. He's not wrong. I've said that from the beginning.

Teams establish relationships with these players for years. The top guy for a next year already has an agreement with the A's.

If you think we're going to jump in all the sudden and be a big player for these guys you're wrong. Sorry to say but these players and scouts build trust and relationship for long periods of times. Teams don't just toss money at players and sign them. Goes much deeper than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Those are things I've also said but they are for the buscon system, not Cuban professional players. This isn't an obscure 16 yo guy that you need a relationship with a trainer to see him shag some balls and take BP. He's played in the 6 seasons in the Cuban National Series. You are conflating two separate things.

I guess we'll see then if Miami who it sounds like has a strong relationship with him and us who may just be throwing money at him get him then?

May not be 16, but knowing a team/scouts from a team and having a realtionship still probably counts for something regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Those are things I've also said but they are for the buscon system, not Cuban professional players. This isn't an obscure 16 yo guy that you need a relationship with a trainer to see him shag some balls and take BP. He's played in the 6 seasons in the Cuban National Series. You are conflating two separate things.

Completely. That is why I do see this as a possibility. Not probable. But possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ISU94 said:

I guess we'll see then if Miami who it sounds like has a strong relationship with him and us who may just be throwing money at him get him then?

May not be 16, but knowing a team/scouts from a team and having a realtionship still probably counts for something regardless.

Not even mentioning he has a younger brother who probably goes where he goes and has a relationship with Miami as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...