Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

5 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Another possible explanation is that Peter was putting all buggetary resources towards trying to win with this current core, with no wiggle room to spare. When the O's fell completely out of contention, and Manny was traded it opened up a window for Dan to become more involved in the International market. Britton and Brach trades allow the O's to increase the number or scouts, etc...

DD came out and said exactly that over the last week. In fact, it’s in this thread. If we traded for more international bonus pool allowance, then we must be ready to max out what we’re allowed to spend. 

29 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Shows they’re interested in Mesa

Not even that.  It does show that the O's advantage in pool money might not mean as much as we think.

Man, we might all be fools here. This might be setting up for us to attach int’l bonus slot money to a player like Gausman or Schoop to maximize the return. I wouldn’t be too mad  

Is there a max limit that a team can trade or it’s int’l slot money in one trade?  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Man, we might all be fools here. This might be setting up for us to attach int’l bonus slot money to a player like Gausman or Schoop to maximize the return. I wouldn’t be too mad  

Is there a max limit that a team can trade or it’s int’l slot money in one trade?  

The most I have seen is $1.5M. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This signing period teams can acquire up to an addition 75% of their initial starting pool money, and the bonus allotments must be traded in 250k increments. Starting next year teams will only be able to acquire up to 60%. So I would guess the max amount you could trade would be dependent on how much your trading partner can afford to take on.  

3 hours ago, weams said:

No, They do not. But that was a big chunk of international money to get. 

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/Yankees?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Yankees</a> expected to use international pool money acquired in trades to sign RHP Osiel Rodríguez, #9 on <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@MLBPipeline</a> Int’l Prospects list, for $600K and SS Carlos Verdecia for $325K. They could still be in play for RHP Sandy Gaston, ranked No. 14. <a href="https://t.co/YtdSWjaaFY">https://t.co/YtdSWjaaFY</a></p>&mdash; Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) <a href="https://twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/1023606055585046528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 29, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry- posted that wrong: but here is where the Yankees' bonus money is going:

Source: @Yankees expected to use international pool money acquired in trades to sign RHP Osiel Rodríguez, #9 on @MLBPipeline Int’l Prospects list, for $600K and SS Carlos Verdecia for $325K. They could still be in play for RHP Sandy Gaston, ranked No. 14.

“If they want to sign him, there is no reason they shouldn’t be able to,” Badler said. “They have a financial advanage in this situation over every other club. It is the move that makes the most sense for them right now. If they are willing to spend the money there is no reason they shouldn’t end up signing him.”

Victor Victor, who just turned 22, is an elite talent who Badler said has two tools that rate as at least a 70-grade on the 20-80 scouting scale: his speed and arm.

“I am a big fan of his,” Badler said. “He is a super athletic center fielder. Lot of quick-twitch explosion in everything he does. I’ve seen him play since he was 17. He is a terrific defensive center fielder. When he was 17 he could have played defense in the big leagues. Tremendous instincts, reads off the bat, routes to the ball, he makes highlight-reel catches. He has a tremendous, tremendous arm, too.

“Coming up through the Cuban junior leagues he always hit very well. When he was healthy he hit well in Cuba. He did have some injuries that slowed him down. That does add some risk to his profile. But it’s really, really electric athleticism and tools at a premium position.”

On 7/29/2018 at 12:27 AM, sevastras said:

Can we work on putting a check mark next to all of the OH insiders account names? There is a former Orioles spring training bat boy on the sight that may know a few people with the organization still. 

No. We do not vet "insiders" here. 

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/will-os-renewed-interest-in-international-market-lead-them-to-victor-victor-mesa.html

A very interesting read.

This is the quote that jumped out at me: “When he was 17 he could have played defense in the big leagues.”  The O’s need to do whatever it takes to get this guy.  The only down side may be that he is somewhat injury prone - probably due to his all out hustle.  Is VVM a Bryce Harper in the making?

7 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

No. We do not vet "insiders" here. 

In the distant past, IIRC Tony would talk to folks off-line and verify if they had a connection or not. I have not seen that in several years though. I don't like the idea of a blue check mark for this board. Seems inappropriate for a fan message board.

7 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

In the distant past, IIRC Tony would talk to folks off-line and verify if they had a connection or not. I have not seen that in several years though. I don't like the idea of a blue check mark for this board. Seems inappropriate for a fan message board.

Correct, that used to be the case, but it's better to not have liability. 

Forgive my Debby Downer moment, Rusney Castillo had a similar scouting report.  

That doesn't change the fact this is exciting, just some perspective.