Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

I’d obviously be happy to add VVM to the organization from everything I’ve read about him. However, he adds another prospect to the one position we actually have depth in our system - OF. How does the organization plan on developing Diaz, VVM, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart, and potentially mountcastle (if he gets pushed to a corner outfield spot)?  I know we aren’t in a position to be picky but we are still weak at most other positions in the organization and now we may have redundant/wasted talent in OF. 

Either way, Im excited about the rebuild and it brought me out of my 2 or so year hibernation from this board.

Just now, Baltoravensrule said:

I’d obviously be happy to add VVM to the organization from everything I’ve read about him. However, he adds another prospect to the one position we actually have depth in our system - OF. How does the organization plan on developing Diaz, VVM, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stewart, and potentially mountcastle (if he gets pushed to a corner outfield spot)?  I know we aren’t in a position to be picky but we are still weak at most other positions in the organization and now we may have redundant/wasted talent in OF. 

Either way, Im excited about the rebuild and it brought me out of my 2 or so year hibernation from this board.

Santander isn't a prospect IMO.  Stewart is a 4th OFer.  Mountcastle will be at 3B or 1B.

4 minutes ago, Baltoravensrule said:

Mullins will be in Baltimore soon. So will Stewart.

Hays and Diaz probably push for a spot in Baltimore at some point in 2019. Both open the year at AAA.

AA OF of VVM, Santander, and Mckenna. Mountcastle also moves to AAA and probably opens the season in the infield.

Anyways, this might be the best problem we've had in a while. 

7 minutes ago, section18 said:

How much will it take to sign VVM, Gaston and Ramirez ?  $5 million? They appear to be the top three we will pursue.

When we sign them where will they report ?  AA and above?

Gaston and Ramirez would likely go to the DSL(they are 16 years old). VVM is a completely different situation and might start in AA or above depending on how soon he's inked. He might just report to instructs, play winter ball and hopefully be ready for AA/AAA in the spring. 

3 hours ago, orioles22 said:

My guess is Stewart is in left for Norfolk next year with Diaz in center and Hays in right.

I've only seen a couple games, but I don't want Diaz in CF. He's a very noticeable step below McKenna and Mullins in range. He's like Hays for me defensively, they're pretty much the same player in the OF.

10 minutes ago, section18 said:

Thanks!  How much would the top three cost?

It depends completely on the market for them. VVM is the big prize and is according to scouting reports from multiple outlets, he's the type of prospect who'd have somewhere around a 15M valuation. So the Marlins will probably be willing to offer him their whole allocation (4.35M), so then the question would be, how much more would the Orioles need to offer to get him to chose Baltimore over Miami.

Gaston was rumored to have a deal in place for around 2M but was rumored to fail a PED test. I'm not sure the validity of those rumors, so take it for what it's worth.

I have no idea about any of the others.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

It depends completely on the market for them. VVM is the big prize and is according to scouting reports from multiple outlets, he's the type of prospect who'd have somewhere around a 15M valuation. So the Marlins will probably be willing to offer him their whole allocation (4.35M), so then the question would be, how much more would the Orioles need to offer to get him to chose Baltimore over Miami.

Gaston was rumored to have a deal in place for around 2M but was rumored to fail a PED test. I'm not sure the validity of those rumors, so take it for what it's worth.

Thanks for the news. So we have $8.25. Mesa and Gaston don’t come from wealth or have the option of going to college, so money should be king here. If we have to outbid by a margin then we should. I don’t really care about the PED stuff, I assume all these guys are on PEDS. 

Do state Taxes factor in with the signing bonus?  They are on a work visa, and we’re paying them a wage. Anyone know?  If so MD has high state taxes and FL has none. 

Mesa - $5 million

Gaston- $ 2.5 million 

Let’s fall it a day. It’s pretty much 1st and 2nd round draft money. I’m assuming Mesa would be our best prospect and Gaston in the 3-7 range. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the news. So we have $8.25. Mesa and Gaston don’t come from wealth or have the option of going to college, so money should be king here. If we have to outbid by a margin then we should. I don’t really care about the PED stuff, I assume all these guys are on PEDS. 

Do state Taxes factor in with the signing bonus?  They are on a work visa, and we’re paying them a wage. Anyone know?  If so MD has high state taxes and FL has none. 

Mesa - $5 million

Gaston- $ 2.5 million 

Let’s fall it a day. It’s pretty much 1st and 2nd round draft money. I’m assuming Mesa would be our best prospect and Gaston in the 3-7 range. 

It's going to be a failure of epic proportions if the O's fail to sign Mesa after the international money being a big part of the return for Gausman.  I don't want the "new" owners to give up on the international market because the O's traded for all this international money and don't even have anyone to spend it on.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Luke does slot money carry over? Let's say in the worst case scenario that Mesa does choose the Marlins and we signa few names from the leftovers, does that slot money disappear?

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Luke does slot money carry over? Let's say in the worst case scenario that Mesa does choose the Marlins and we signa few names from the leftovers, does that slot money disappear?

Yes.  Have to use it before next signing period. 

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Has to be spent before the next signing period.

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Yes.  Have to use it before next signing period. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has to be spent before the next signing period.

So not signing him would be a huge disaster. The rumors that we are close to a deal is hopefully true and the only hold up is the clearance.