Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Just now, Aglets said:

That's how much money they had available to spend for this cycle in total......after adding another 3.75M to their pool.   But that doesn't include how much they've spent already which I'm pretty sure is several million.

I am fairly certain that you are correct. They have spent $3.1M just in the last few days.  

15 minutes ago, CT203 said:

What's the Orioles international pool moneyat now?

Read the table Yankees are maxed out at $8,721,125

This is what they have spent their $$$ on...

New York Yankees 
Osiel Rodriguez, rhp, Cuba (No. 5 prospect) 
Antonio Gomez, c, Venezuela (No. 14 prospect) 
Denny Larrondo, rhp, Cuba (No. 43 prospect) -- $550,000 signing bonus
Agustin Ramirez, c, Dominican Republic (No. 48 prospect) 
Mauro Bonifacio, of, Dominican Republic
Juan Carela, rhp, Dominican Republic -- $335,000 signing bonus
Maikol Escotto, ss, Dominican Republic -- $350,000 signing bonus
Marcos Cabrera, ss, Dominican Republic
Dayro Perez, ss, Dominican Republic
Rafael Severino, rhp, Yankees
Kevyn Camacho, c, Venezuela
Miguel Vargas, lhp, Venezuela
Jesus Rodriguez, c, Venezuela
Kevin Alcantara, of, Dominican Republic (No. 15 prospect) 
Jose Colmenares, ss, Venezuela
Christopher Familia, of, Dominican Republic
Nicolas Garcia, c, Dominican Republic
D'Vaughn Knowles, of, Bahamas
Starling Perez, rhp, Dominican Republic
Ignacio Radney, rhp, Dominican Republic
Tyrone Yulie, rhp, Dominican Republic

9 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Well, we need quality a lot more than quantity.  Getting VVM is very important at this point - regardless of splash.  .  

Anyone know anything about VVM’s younger brother Victor Mesa Jr.? Obviously, not the prospect his older brother is but would he have made the top 30 list of available international  prospects?

Besides Gaston, Villalobos, and Bonilla there is another Cuban defector SS Alex Vargas. Can’t find a lot on him but Fangraphs said he is extremely talented and would command a $2 - 2.5 million dollar contract, which would put him right in the top 5 prospects, money wise. They also said he may wait until 2019 to sign because most teams have already used up all of their allotment. Word among scouts is that he might have a handshake agreement with a team to sit out until next year’s signing period where he will command a $2.5 million contract or possibly more.

Take this for what it’s worth, I have a friend who follows VVM on social media and he said that VVM likes every post where his name is linked to Miami, but has yet to like any posts linking him to Baltimore. At the end of the day, money talks, And the Gausman and Brach deals both look much better if we land VVM.

I’d have no problem with us signing Gaston even with the positive PED test. He supposedly agreed to a $2 million deal w MIA. I would think $1.5 million would lock him up maybe less. Give VVM whatever it takes to get him signed. It shouldn’t matter if that’s $6 million. It would be a travesty if we let him sign with Miami, when we have almost double the amount of money available. I would think $5 million would gets it done. Which would still give us $3.25 million to pursue other prospects. 

Per CamdenDepot: Orioles signed Carlos del RoSario, 6’7” RHP, No word on bonus. Was of interest to the Phillies. 

9 hours ago, CT203 said:

What's the Orioles international pool moneyat now?

Read the table Yankees are maxed out at $8,721,125

The Orioles have 8.25M, the Yankees at most have 3M left. It's not even remotely close. 

Just now, bluehens45 said:

Anyone know anything about VVM’s younger brother Victor Mesa Jr.? Obviously, not the prospect his older brother is but would he have made the top 30 list of available international  prospects?

Besides Gaston, Villalobos, and Bonilla there is another Cuban defector SS Alex Vargas. Can’t find a lot on him but Fangraphs said he is extremely talented and would command a $2 - 2.5 million dollar contract, which would put him right in the top 5 prospects, money wise. They also said he may wait until 2019 to sign because most teams have already used up all of their allotment. Word among scouts is that he might have a handshake agreement with a team to sit out until next year’s signing period where he will command a $2.5 million contract or possibly more.

Take this for what it’s worth, I have a friend who follows VVM on social media and he said that VVM likes every post where his name is linked to Miami, but has yet to like any posts linking him to Baltimore. At the end of the day, money talks, And the Gausman and Brach deals both look much better if we land VVM.

I’d have no problem with us signing Gaston even with the positive PED test. He supposedly agreed to a $2 million deal w MIA. I would think $1.5 million would lock him up maybe less. Give VVM whatever it takes to get him signed. It shouldn’t matter if that’s $6 million. It would be a travesty if we let him sign with Miami, when we have almost double the amount of money available. I would think $5 million would gets it done. Which would still give us $3.25 million to pursue other prospects. 

Per CamdenDepot: Orioles signed Carlos del RoSario, 6’7” RHP, No word on bonus. Was of interest to the Phillies. 

He has liked him being linked to the Orioles (including the post about the Orioles being close), he has liked posts about him going to Miami, the Yankees, and even the Cardinals as well. So I wouldn't read to much into it, he likes that teams want to sign him.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bluehens45 said:

Besides Gaston, Villalobos, and Bonilla there is another Cuban defector SS Alex Vargas. Can’t find a lot on him but Fangraphs said he is extremely talented and would command a $2 - 2.5 million dollar contract, which would put him right in the top 5 prospects, money wise. They also said he may wait until 2019 to sign because most teams have already used up all of their allotment.

The Yankees signed Vargas.  A $2.5MM signing bonus probably helped.  As Luke and others have said, the Yankees have committed money to many other players and are not likely to be involved with VVM.  The Marlins are the primary competition for the Orioles.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Any day now, MLB.  Not sure what the hold-up is here but it'd be cool if you could make him official so we could see where he goes.

but there’s no indication that either has established residency in another a country — a requisite step before being declared a free agent by MLB

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/international-notes-yankees-vargas-mesa-marlins-orioles.html

hold up is on them.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Any day now, MLB.  Not sure what the hold-up is here but it'd be cool if you could make him official so we could see where he goes.

Has there been any speculation (this is *quite* a long and busy thread) here or anywhere else that during the hold-up for MLB declaring them free agents (and them establishing residency) that they may do something behind the scenes to ensure the O’s don’t get Mesa or tilt the scales to Miami? I’m thinking along the lines of the All-Star game being denied and the MASN deal flux. 

I can’t help it. I don ‘t trust the commissioner.

• Sanchez also recently took a lengthy look at the latest on the market for top outfield prospect Victor Victor Mesa. While the Cuban-born star has yet to be declared a free agent by Major League Baseball, there’s a fair bit of intrigue as to where he’ll sign once eligible. Victor Victor and his younger brother, Victor Jr., are both training in the Dominican Republic at present, according to Sanchez, but there’s no indication that either has established residency in another a country — a requisite step before being declared a free agent by MLB. Sanchez runs through the teams that are plausible landing spots for the brothers and takes a look at their potential timelines to signing.
  • Interestingly, Sanchez further notes that the Orioles and Marlins could be in line to make a significant play for Mesa (Twitter links). Both teams acquired international money prior to the non-waiver deadline and are interested in increasing their spending on the international front. The Orioles have a hefty $8.25MM they can offer, though it’s worth noting that GM Dan Duquette has suggested they could sign some international prospects as soon as this week (link via MASNsports.com’s Steve Melewski). With the Mesas yet to reach free agency, that’d suggest that they’re not earmarking their entire pool one or both brothers. The Marlins, meanwhile, have $4.35MM to work with at present — the second-most of any team that is not limited to $300K signings. The Athletic’s Emily Waldon reported recently that the Orioles were working hard on a deal with the elder Mesa brother (Twitter link). MASNsports.com’s Byron Kerr tweeted that the Marlins are indeed planning a run at him as well, though he added that the Orioles could be closer. Of course, no deal can be announced until the league declares the Mesa brothers to be free agents, and there’s no real way of knowing when that process will be complete.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Greg said:

but there’s no indication that either has established residency in another a country — a requisite step before being declared a free agent by MLB

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/international-notes-yankees-vargas-mesa-marlins-orioles.html

hold up is on them.

That's annoying.

My idea would be to give Mesa $250,000 more than the Marlins and give his brother $650,000 to sign at the same time. That would shut out the Marlins.

• Upvote 1