Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

What good would it do? I mean you could name Peter, Brady, DD and Buck. With John and him letting DD do things seem to be improving. There are what 12 or so new prospects in the system?  I like what's going on now.  To me the future of the O's seem to be on the right track. 

Not throwing rocks here.  I am all aboard the rebuild train and love the 15 new guys we have to build with. Just would like to know someone is in charge of the plan and that we are done with multiple cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

This stuff is harder than it looks already without working hard to make it harder.

34 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

The first sentence of his Wikipedia page (and his historical body of work) disagrees.

http://www.royfirestone.com/

Critically acclaimed as a performer, monologist, humorist, musician and impressionist, Roy Firestone is one of the nation’s most sought after live corporate performers, keynote speakers and lecturers. 

Firestone has performed in more than two thousand venues spanning two decades.  He recently shared the stage with performers Josh Groban, Reba McEntire, David Foster, Forrest Whitaker and Jon Bon Jovi.

As an actor, Firestone was featured in the Academy Award-winning film, Jerry Maguire, where he played himself in an unforgettable (and often repeated) scene with Academy Award-winner Cuba Gooding Jr.  

His numerous television credits include Everybody Loves Raymond and Married with Children.  Fans of The Simpsons remember him as the voice of ‘Bart Starr.’ No stranger to talk shows, Firestone’s appearances include Late Night with David Letterman, Later with Bob Costas, Larry King Live and The Tonight Show.

Firestone is also an accomplished musical vocalist.  He recently released his first CD, Another Voice, produced and backed by Grammy Award-winning fusion band, Hiroshima.

Roy Firestone is a seven-time Emmy Award-winning and seven-time cable ACE Award-winning host, interviewer, narrator, writer, and producer.  As the ground-breaking, original host of ESPN’s legendary Up Close, Up Close Classic and Up Close Primetime, Firestone has interviewed more than 5,000 athletes, musicians, actors and political figures, as well as scores of writers and filmmakers.

Firestone has recently hosted Public Television's "LA Tonight" which featured interviews of an eclectic list of legendary music, entertainment, and sports figures, including composer Burt Bacharach, record producer David Foster, songwriter Diane Warren, and tennis great Andre Agassi, among many others.

Sports Illustrated calls Firestone "The best interviewer in the business."  The late Pulitzer Prize winning columnist Jim Murray once said, “Roy Firestone isn’t just the best sports interviewer I’ve ever seen, he's the best interviewer period. That includes, Diane Sawyer, Barbara Walters, Mike Wallace, Morley Safer, any and all of them.”

Not limited to television, Firestone is also prolific on the printed page — as the author of two best-selling books, Up Close with Roy Firestone, and most recently, Don’t Make Me Cry, Roy.

28 minutes ago, Outlander said:

Wasn’t Roy railing against duke for trading Schoop and Gausman? Even sarcastically suggesting they may trade Mancini? Calling the situation a joke. It’s an odd juxtaposition to his most recent post. That’s why I find it confusing a little. Anyways, I thought Mesa did establish residency. Am I just imagining this?

Roy is a fan. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Not throwing rocks here.  I am all aboard the rebuild train and love the 15 new guys we have to build with. Just would like to know someone is in charge of the plan and that we are done with multiple cooks in the kitchen so to speak.

This stuff is harder than it looks already without working hard to make it harder.

I understand. John and Lou seem to be in charge now. DD being allowed to make the trades now. I wonder if they have given DD a contract extension or have offered him that? 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

I understand. John and Lou seem to be in charge now. DD being allowed to make the trades now. I wonder if they have given DD a contract extension or have offered him that? 

Me too.

27 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'm in no way trying to disparage you or your post, but it is a sports team. They don't owe the fans anything. 

I think it is obvious that there is/was a power struggle inside of the FO, and we as fans have to hope that the situation is finally sorting itself out. 

As bad of an owner as Peter Angelos has been at times, he has generally spent money on the team. He hasn't spent it in a way that everyone agreed with, but he did spend it. We have to assume that they now have a process and hopefully a clear GM moving forward.

If we knew any of the details of what happened, or what is the new plan, would it change anything?

You're right. I shouldn't have said that the team owes us anything.  All it owes us is to put a team on the field and allow us to watch if we buy tickets or fees to cable companies or to MLB.

But I believe, and should have said, that it would be in everyone's best interest -- including the Orioles' --  for whoever is in charge of this team, in light of its inability to give us a decent team for a while, to talk to us once in a while and to share some of the reasoning behind its failures, and to tell us what -- if anything -- it's learned from those failures. This team faces some pretty significant challenges in trying to sell tickets and attract audiences over the next few years, and I believe a continuation of the Angelos tradition of hiding from the media will only make it worse.

Thanks for the correction.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm sure you can thank Buck for Davis, Trumbo, and Oday. I don't trust buck to play young guys as long as he has "veterans" around to play. It can't be both Dan and Buck in this organization imo. I prefer Dan stays of the two.

I saw earlier this season that Peter is the one that brought back Davis. I like Buck but want him gone from the O's. 

Weams, I'm not going to engage in a purely semantic argument about whether terms like "interviewer" fall under the umbrella of "journalism." Google his name and "journalism" or "journalist" and draw your own conclusions. Though I think the search results are overwhelming and speak for themselves.

The point remains that citing insider knowledge to indirectly "confirm" nefarious suspicions concerning the ownership/management of the Orioles is extraordinary, and reflective of his career/connections as a source of sports news and information. And he doesn't need a press badge to provide more than the unsupported commentary to which I initially responded.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

He is not a journalist. 

Well. I mean. Technically he is. He's Roy friggin Firestone! :)

Crap. as has been pointed out. 

Edited by Santandah
stupidity.

30 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I wonder if Duquette, like Manny and Jones and others, are eagerly looking forward to free agency to see what he can get on the "open market?"

6 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I would think they have close to nothing.  They made that trade for Warren and got back 2.5 then the next day they announced they signed him so it would make sense they didn't have enough to sign him before and had to acquire some money to sign him.  Also running a few of the numbers i see about 6.5 million used with the reported used and also the not reported but what those top prospects were asking for.  That does not include anyone not in the top 50 sure they could have all been the 10k guys that don't count but i would guess a few of those guys got more.  

Yeah I’m just going off the money that’s been announced, I agree that they likely have little to no money.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Isn't a complete apparent reversal of the way they have been operating kind of a "sorry my bad"?

Suddenly looking to spend international money after steadfastly not doing so?

Suddenly making moves for the future after a significant history of making short term benefit moves only?

Suddenly showing little sentimentality in trading or trying to trade beloved past contributors as opposed to being too sentimental and continually bringing back guys who once contributed?

What exactly do you want them to say?   Insult their possibly dying father by saying his idiocy prevented us from making the right moves?   Insult their current manager and special executive/trainer/whatever Brady Anderson, who are both currently employed by the team, by saying they contributed to, backed, and instigated horrible decisions?  

That would be a classless way to operate.   Actions speak louder than words.   The actions for the past month have been that of a team responsibly trying to tear down and build from the bottom up which is what most of us want.   I just want to see those actions continue.   Trashing people who still are connected to the team as owner, manager, or Brady, just so you can have an "explanation" for what has gone wrong is classless and non-productive.   If Buck isn't brought back, if Brady's role seems obviously to be reduced, if PGA's influence continues to wane -- that will be your explanation.   Crucifying them in public just so you can feel satisfied that an explanation has been given just isn't going to happen.   Just move forward doing it right.

This is a beautiful post.  Well done.  

• Upvote 1

The thread title should be changed honestly. Everytime there is a new post I expect some news about the thread title and its always something random lol.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Malike said:

The thread title should be changed honestly. Everytime there is a new post I expect some news about the thread title and its always something random lol.

That's just the way this board works.

It seems like Alex Cobb has saved literally hundreds of at risk pets this year.

• Haha 4