Luke-OH

The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

7 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a bizarre idea. In order to spread international talent around among MLB teams, at whatever age they're declared eligible to sign with MLB teams, have each guy chosen by one team. The teams would take turns. You could start with the team that had the worst record the year before and work your way up to the team with the best record. A player would have to sign with the team that picked him or not sign at all for two years. You could call it, I don't know, a "draft," maybe.

The reasons why this would be bad for baseball are .  .  . well, I can't think of any off-hand.

Do you think players union members object? 

35 minutes ago, Hallas said:

He's got some leverage, but he also has some pressure to sign this year, as the Orioles currently have more to offer than any team would next year, especially when you consider that many teams may already have some of their money earmarked for prospects they've come to verbal agreements with.

Well hell. He either signs with the O's or not. I'm getting tired of this crap.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tx Oriole said:

Well hell. He either signs with the O's or not. I'm getting tired of this crap.

What else are we going to talk about during a 110-loss season?  Printing playoff tickets?

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Probably using the O's to get the most he can from the Miami Jeters. Why wouldn't a Cuban want to live in a city of Cubans.

Sadly, this is most likely spot on.

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

What else are we going to talk about during a 110-loss season?  Printing playoff tickets?

Talk about whatever you want. I'm sorry. I'm just bored. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much did Ohtani leave on the table?

I'd be willing to bet that Ohtani's salaries in Japan were a tad higher than Mesa's in Cuba. Coming from something a bit further from nothing might make walking away from millions more tolerable. 

Throw it all at VVM, every penny. IMO they gotta have this guy in order for the Gausman trade to be a worthwhile endeavor.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's got a ton of leverage over the O's.  It's a huge loss for the O's if they trade for 2.75M in extra slot money and don't sign any impact players with it.

Leverage works both ways.  Not every deal ends up with a Chris Davis overpay.

If VVM is going to sign for less $ elsewhere, I am not sure what leverage he has.  I expect our FO will find good uses the $ with or without VVM.  

22 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

If VVM is going to sign for less $ elsewhere, I am not sure what leverage he has.  I expect our FO will find good uses the $ with or without VVM.  

I'm not at all sure that the money can be spent wisely at this point if VVM isn't one of the signees.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not at all sure that the money can be spent wisely at this point if VVM isn't one of the signees.

I agree. Generally I scoff at “Blank or bust” kind of takes in situations like this, but I think here it is very appropriate. I’m sure we can find some fair prospects to throw some money at, but quite clearly we passed over a chance to get a greater prospect return to acquire all that extra slot money. And there is only one reason we would’ve done that. That reason has a double name. And I’m not talking about Duran Duran.

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

It would be impossible to spend $8mm this winter without VVM. Without him you could spend $4 tops. 

Top IFA left:

BA-

# 1-VVM

#24- Sandy Gaston, RHP

#25-Alexander Rameriz, OF

#45-Jose Bonilla, SS

MLB-

#18-Jose Lopez, OF

VMjr has been said to fall somewhere in the teens of boards but no one has him on any of the boards.  I haven’t seen any video of Jose Lopez, probably too common of a name 

20 minutes ago, sevastras said:

It would be impossible to spend $8mm this winter without VVM. Without him you could spend $4 tops. 

Then trade $4M for 2 good prospects.

2 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Then trade $4M for 2 good prospects.

I don't get the logic.  While I disagree, if we can't spend the $8M wisely, then what makes you offer that another team can?