scOtt

Sandy Gaston (Orioles miss out)

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate the Orioles right now.  Loved them before, probably will love them in the future but right now I'm just full of disgust, hate and contempt towards them.  

I am with you.  If they were a company, they would be out of business.  Mainly because their product is terrible and the people who run them (whoever they are) just seem to be both slower and dumber than the people who run their competitors.  Hard to get behind a product like that.  I think the key is to emotionally detach from them, which is not easy to do but is probably best for these next few years.  The good news is that our expectations have to be almost non-existent.  Perhaps someone in the FO can use the Os precious international slot money to invest in some Mega Millions and Powerball tickets. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it has to be.

Not for a 16 year old out of Cuba.

I'm thinking money than location followed by how they interacted with him.

If you are Gaston, the people you are interacting with from the Orioles may not even be there in a few weeks.  Given the Rays ability to develop pitchers, no brainer to go with the Rays. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate the Orioles right now.  Loved them before, probably will love them in the future but right now I'm just full of disgust, hate and contempt towards them.  

I don’t get this. We have to give them a real opportunity to see how they handle the FO hires and how they operate from now on. 

Nobody likes it when a player was dealt and money played a key role but the people involved now were not the ones who created the problem. They inherited it. Time will tell if they can do the job or not. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t get this. We have to give them a real opportunity to see how they handle the FO hires and how they operate from now on. 

Nobody likes it when a player was dealt and money played a key role but the people involved now were not the ones who created the problem. They inherited it. Time will tell if they can do the job or not. 

That's fine and all, but what is this team doing? You hear reports of other teams in their second and third round of interviews with GM and managers.  All I can find on the Orioles is they talked to Ned Colletti in the summer and remain in touch with him. I know this team likes to keep secrets, but it's hard to keep things like interviews under this tight of wraps. 

I said I wouldn't be shocked if they went into the winter meetings without a GM or Manager....im still going with that.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

That's fine and all, but what is this team doing? You hear reports of other teams in their second and third round of interviews with GM and managers.  All I can find on the Orioles is they talked to Ned Colletti in the summer and remain in touch with him. I know this team likes to keep secrets, but it's hard to keep things like interviews under this tight of wraps. 

I said I wouldn't be shocked if they went into the winter meetings without a GM or Manager....im still going with that.

They will have this done soon. For some reason this is real secretive. 

I am not telling anyone they will make the right hires, the burden is on the Orioles not the fans. That said you can’t erase 25 years of mismanagement by ownership overnight. 

1 hour ago, Chromehill said:

If you are Gaston, the people you are interacting with from the Orioles may not even be there in a few weeks.  Given the Rays ability to develop pitchers, no brainer to go with the Rays. 

And that's the case with anyone they're talking with.  It definitely does not help.  

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4721934

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

You know what they say about the fine line between love and hate. :)

05168a635c96b08634726fc4c74263a508cf1c.j

• Haha 1

Well, things are gonna get better.  They are.  Let the hate go, like DD or Buck or AJ or Manny.  Almost nowhere to go but up?

Hey at least we were in it right?  I mean we were going for it in 18 too, but...I get it.  Not a lot to hang your hat on.

But the franchise did pull all of us in here.  Right?

• Thanks 1

Note the commentary in this report. And isn't a Baltimore guy. We're now officially a laughing stock on the national level. 

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays are working to complete a deal with Cuban right-hander Sandy Gaston.

This confirms a report from Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald, who hears that Gaston will receive a bonus of $2.6 million. The Marlins also expressed heavy interest, but they didn't have enough international bonus money remaining after signing the Mesa brothers. It's worth noting that the Orioles came up empty-handed on all three players after accruing a big chunk of bonus money. The 16-year-old Gaston is a hard-thrower who still has plenty of development ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Note the commentary in this report. And isn't a Baltimore guy. We're now officially a laughing stock on the national level. 

Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays are working to complete a deal with Cuban right-hander Sandy Gaston.

This confirms a report from Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald, who hears that Gaston will receive a bonus of $2.6 million. The Marlins also expressed heavy interest, but they didn't have enough international bonus money remaining after signing the Mesa brothers. It's worth noting that the Orioles came up empty-handed on all three players after accruing a big chunk of bonus money. The 16-year-old Gaston is a hard-thrower who still has plenty of development ahead of him.

Yup...at least offer the guy a million more than Tampa is offering. It's better than leaving that money sit there.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They will have this done soon. For some reason this is real secretive. 

I am not telling anyone they will make the right hires, the burden is on the Orioles not the fans. That said you can’t erase 25 years of mismanagement by ownership overnight. 

My fear is the GM is already done...Brady Anderson. I know they said a GM would come outside the organization, but I really dont trust a thing they say anymore.