Jump to content
scOtt

Sandy Gaston (Orioles miss out)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Chito said:

The only ones in the top 50 who (I think) remain unsigned are C Fernando Villalobos and SS Jose Bonilla.

Maybe, just maybe, the O's can sign them.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/where-the-top-50-mlb-international-prospects-have-agreed-to-sign/

But they could, in theory, sign people outside the top 50? Or top 100? Or top 500? RIght?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

But they could, in theory, sign people outside the top 50? Or top 100? Or top 500? RIght?

Sure. I think they've already signed a few of those too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t Blane these guys signing else where. I mean not only is the O’s orginszation in a state of disarray but so is the city of Baltimore. The city itself is probably worst off then the O’s. It would not surprise me at all if they’re not sold and moved! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jrobb21613 said:

Can’t Blane these guys signing else where. I mean not only is the O’s orginszation in a state of disarray but so is the city of Baltimore. The city itself is probably worst off then the O’s. It would not surprise me at all if they’re not sold and moved! 

Right 17 year old Cubans are worried about the city.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is from Meoli's latest in the Sun:

"It’s money the organization can spend on lesser players still on the market, but may now go back toward other aspects of the organization such as staffing — a priority as they look to rebuild a baseball infrastructure."

Is that true? I thought it could only be spent on players.

Edited by Chito

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chito said:

This is from Meoli's latest in the Sun:

"It’s money the organization can spend on lesser players still on the market, but may now go back toward other aspects of the organization such as staffing — a priority as they look to rebuild a baseball infrastructure."

Is that true? I thought it could only be spent on players.

The slots are not money.

They are the ability to spend money on International players.

Someone like me would say that all the funds needed to rebuild the baseball infrastructure should have already been allocated.

My guess is the money is going to stay in ownership's pocket.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The slots are not money.

They are the ability to spend money on International players.

Someone like me would say that all the funds needed to rebuild the baseball infrastructure should have already been allocated.

My guess is the money is going to stay in ownership's pocket.

And this coming up:

But from a business standpoint — especially with next month's hearing on the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network rights fees dispute with the Washington Nationals calling into question how much revenue the Orioles will get from their television network going forward — chopping over a quarter of their salary commitments off the books in one swoop makes things a little more palatable for the club. When former executive vice president Dan Duquette announced the club’s rebuild in earnest after they traded Machado, he said resources would be diverted from major league payroll to upgrading other facets of the organization, from international and pro scouting to analytics. In the nearest term, this is what that looks like.

 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-salary-arbitration-projections-20181011-story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sending 5 people to Florida to scout, is active.

Way more active, then when they was not in the market at all.

You also neglected the fact, they did sign smaller names already.

They sent 5 people who's titles are supposedly "Interim "

That's not saying much.

And are left holding over $6m in wasted pool allotment and no Gausman now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with them cutting ML payroll.
I am not fine with them not spending on International talent.  This organization badly needs an infusion of young talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dark Helmet said:

They sent 5 people who's titles are supposedly "Interim "

That's not saying much.

And are left holding over $6m in wasted pool allotment and no Gausman now.

Not to mention they (presumably) paid these 5 people to be there. That's time and money that could have been used elsewhere if they weren't serious about being players for the prime talent.

The O's would have been better off dumping Gausman and O'day for C and D level prospects and not getting the slot money at all.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The slots are not money.

They are the ability to spend money on International players.

Someone like me would say that all the funds needed to rebuild the baseball infrastructure should have already been allocated.

My guess is the money is going to stay in ownership's pocket.

So far, the John/Lou Angelos regime has shown a willingness to dump payroll and an ability to maintain near-secrecy about interviews of candidates to run the team (I'm assuming that they are interviewing). That's about all they've shown. We still don't know whether they'll spend money where spending is badly needed, let alone spend it wisely.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scOtt said:

It seems like the old man is completely out of the loop now. But it also seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Pretty much my point. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So far, the John/Lou Angelos regime has shown a willingness to dump payroll and an ability to maintain near-secrecy about interviews of candidates to run the team (I'm assuming that they are interviewing). That's about all they've shown. We still don't know whether they'll spend money where spending is badly needed, let alone spend it wisely.

We know they aren't serious about the International market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty clear in hindsight the international slot money was nothing but performative posturing for gullible fans that the team was “doing something”, which provided cover for the real reason for the trade—the gaus and oday salary dumps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...