Jump to content
Tony-OH

TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure he gets a job somewhere but AAA Manager is pretty close to top of the heap so he might be looking at a pay cut.

Most likely yeah. I don't see him landing a ML job. At this point, seems most team are going younger on coaching staffs...even managers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I hope Johnson does have a shot somewhere. From all I've heard he's a quality person and a quality baseball guy. I can see wanting to jump ship and if I'm guys like Buck and Dan who have made millions, not sure I'd be too upset to go. But as a guy in the minors I may look at it differently...a paycheck is a paycheck. I'm not sure.

And this was why I was in posing the possibility of him choosing to go.  I don't have a lot of confidence that the organization would offer a "solid" like, "Thanks for everything, Ron.  If you can buy in for a long haul, we'd love to have you..."  You get the drift?  Maybe someone would choose to stay in that situation... this situation.  I'd be out like a shot and grateful I didn't have to deal with the dysfunction again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It can also mean that whoever is in charge told him "your contract expires at midnight on October 31st. We are not going to offer you a new deal." Especially with everyone else that has a link to Duquette being told they aren't coming back.

This is likely the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

And this was why I was in posing the possibility of him choosing to go.  I don't have a lot of confidence that the organization would offer a "solid" like, "Thanks for everything, Ron.  If you can buy in for a long haul, we'd love to have you..."  You get the drift?  Maybe someone would choose to stay in that situation... this situation.  I'd be out like a shot and grateful I didn't have to deal with the dysfunction again.

But in the minors, you're not so much feeling the dysfunction of the major league team. Your job is to teach the young kids. Triple A is usually older non prospects that are filler players or shuttle guys. At Ron's age, if a major league job was going to present itself, it probably would have by now. And as CoC pointed out, there's not likely more money available to him at a lateral move to another organization. I think the team is just cleaning house at am organizational level to an extent. Especially with these guys having ties to Duquette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Here is an article that say guys who have been with organization a long time can make 150k to 175k.  Seems more realistic.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sunday-notes-coaching-salaries-on-the-farm-bullpen-scatalogy-cards-step-more/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, SteveA said:

I feel they need to communicate, but not in the middle of a search for the VP & GM.

If they don't speak at the press conference announcing the hiring, THEN I will be upset.   Being upset that we aren't hearing from them now just seems silly.   They came out within 3 days of the end of the season, issued a statement that major changes at the top of the organization, the 3 most powerful spots, were coming and that it would be someone hired from outside the organization and that person would be given complete control.   Now I say let them make those hires, and THEN we need to hear from them.   

And you know what, if they speak at the press conference but keep it short and simple and say this is our new VP of baseball operations, Mr. X.   He knows more about baseball than we do, so we are giving him complete control, and then they step back and let him give a statement about how he wants to rebuild the organization and his vision, I'll be fine with that too.   All I want is a clear organizational structure with a smart baseball person at the top.   Can they make that happen?   I don't know.   But they have at least stated they are trying and while the hiring process is ongoing, that's enough for me.

Fair enough Steve. Nothing to disagree with here for the most part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, theocean said:

Tony, you have a habit of being very rude to posters here who you disagree with. It isn't a good look and singlehandedly keeps me from being a plus member. Not trying to attack you, just thought I'd share.

Sorry you feel that way. Sometimes you just gotta put your big biy pants on and have a back and forth. It's not personal with me and I don't take disagreements to other threads. I have no issues with Puck honestly. I don't agree with him on some things but he's a good poster who follows the rules and has been around for a long time.

Now, people may take things personally and get all upset and run off, but I honestly rather have some people who have some conjones and who can dish and it take it all the same. I didn't call Puck a name, I said he was acting dense in this argument because he wasn't listening.

I've been doing this for a long time, and if you don't like me and won't become a plus member becuase of that, I'm ok with that. I stopped long ago worrying who likes me and who doesn't. Although supporting the Hangout allows us to continue to bring you content, pay the bills, and pay the guys who work hard in bringing you this site, if my being occasionally "rude" stops you from becoming a plus members then that's your decision and I can respect that.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, SteveA said:

I feel they need to communicate, but not in the middle of a search for the VP & GM.

If they don't speak at the press conference announcing the hiring, THEN I will be upset.   Being upset that we aren't hearing from them now just seems silly.   They came out within 3 days of the end of the season, issued a statement that major changes at the top of the organization, the 3 most powerful spots, were coming and that it would be someone hired from outside the organization and that person would be given complete control.   Now I say let them make those hires, and THEN we need to hear from them.   

And you know what, if they speak at the press conference but keep it short and simple and say this is our new VP of baseball operations, Mr. X.   He knows more about baseball than we do, so we are giving him complete control, and then they step back and let him give a statement about how he wants to rebuild the organization and his vision, I'll be fine with that too.   All I want is a clear organizational structure with a smart baseball person at the top.   Can they make that happen?   I don't know.   But they have at least stated they are trying and while the hiring process is ongoing, that's enough for me.

Obviously we wait (as if we have any say in this at all...lol)   If they do say what you suggest at a press conference, I will not only be fine with it, I will be shocked.

If they do say it, one simple question would be on my mind for ownership at the conference.

 “You said “complete control”.  What is Brady Anderson’s organizational position and does he report directly to the new President? “

Of course, that assumes that the new President is not Brady.   It is going to be interesting, that’s for sure!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still amazed by the fact that Orioles are the only team in baseball who can somehow completely keep their president/GM and manager search secret. That baffles me more than the deafening silence coming from the Warehouse. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, on the Orioles MLB website, under Front Office...it has one category  Executive Management...this has the 3 Angelos...John is listed as Executive VP and Louis as Ownership Representative (whatever that means)

Then you have the Baseball Operations category listed...Brady is Vice President of Baseball Operations,  Lee Thomas is Special assistant to the Executive VP of Baseball Operations (I do not know who this is but the title reports to the previous Executive VP of baseball operations DD)  then you have Joe McIlvaine listed as Senior Adviser, Player Personnel (again I have no idea who this is or what they do) and Tripp Norton, Director of Baseball Operations (again, no clue who this is). 

It would seem there is no way, Brady can retain his current title under any rational formulation of new leadership...President of Baseball Operations, General Manager structure would eliminate a Vice President of Baseball Operations position.  So, unless Brady accepts a demotion in both role and authority, he must go, it would seem.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, on the Orioles MLB website, under Front Office...it has one category  Executive Management...this has the 3 Angelos...John is listed as Executive VP and Louis as Ownership Representative (whatever that means)

Then you have the Baseball Operations category listed...Brady is Vice President of Baseball Operations,  Lee Thomas is Special assistant to the Executive VP of Baseball Operations (I do not know who this is but the title reports to the previous Executive VP of baseball operations DD)  then you have Joe McIlvaine listed as Senior Adviser, Player Personnel (again I have no idea who this is or what they do) and Tripp Norton, Director of Baseball Operations (again, no clue who this is). 

It would seem there is no way, Brady can retain his current title under any rational formulation of new leadership...President of Baseball Operations, General Manager structure would eliminate a Vice President of Baseball Operations position.  So, unless Brady accepts a demotion in both role and authority, he must go, it would seem.  

This list is not up to date because Brian Graham is the acting Head of Baseball Ops.

Roch  reported that Joe Mclivaine has been told he will not be offered a new contract.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, on the Orioles MLB website, under Front Office...it has one category  Executive Management...this has the 3 Angelos...John is listed as Executive VP and Louis as Ownership Representative (whatever that means)

Then you have the Baseball Operations category listed...Brady is Vice President of Baseball Operations,  Lee Thomas is Special assistant to the Executive VP of Baseball Operations (I do not know who this is but the title reports to the previous Executive VP of baseball operations DD)  then you have Joe McIlvaine listed as Senior Adviser, Player Personnel (again I have no idea who this is or what they do) and Tripp Norton, Director of Baseball Operations (again, no clue who this is). 

It would seem there is no way, Brady can retain his current title under any rational formulation of new leadership...President of Baseball Operations, General Manager structure would eliminate a Vice President of Baseball Operations position.  So, unless Brady accepts a demotion in both role and authority, he must go, it would seem.  

This may or may not still be true.  But I agree.  Weams asked one day if anyone believed all three of DD, Buck and Brady would be gone.  Unless someone followed after that thread rolled, I was the only one who said yes.  At the time, I thought DD was the tough call.  Who knows?   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This list is not up to date because Brian Graham is the acting Head of Baseball Ops.

Roch  reported that Joe Mclivaine has been told he will not be offered a new contract.

He is still on the site....but  he was not given any new title as such as far as I can tell although he is doing some of the job functions of the operations group temporarily .  It was reported in the media (not in the official club announcement) that Brian Graham, Director of Player Development, will handle the day to day duties of that group until the new position is hired.  Not that he is acting Head (no such position) or Acting Executive VP (Dan’s title). 

The site still does list him as Director of Player Development and that is what it seems his title still is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

47 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

So, on the Orioles MLB website, under Front Office...it has one category  Executive Management...this has the 3 Angelos...John is listed as Executive VP and Louis as Ownership Representative (whatever that means)

Then you have the Baseball Operations category listed...Brady is Vice President of Baseball Operations,  Lee Thomas is Special assistant to the Executive VP of Baseball Operations (I do not know who this is but the title reports to the previous Executive VP of baseball operations DD)  then you have Joe McIlvaine listed as Senior Adviser, Player Personnel (again I have no idea who this is or what they do) and Tripp Norton, Director of Baseball Operations (again, no clue who this is). 

It would seem there is no way, Brady can retain his current title under any rational formulation of new leadership...President of Baseball Operations, General Manager structure would eliminate a Vice President of Baseball Operations position.  So, unless Brady accepts a demotion in both role and authority, he must go, it would seem.  

According to everything I've seen, Brady has not been operating according to any normal corporate org. chart or as part of any chain command. I don't see any reason he couldn't be retained as a Special Advisor of some sort, at the same salary or with some raise, and continue to operate as he has, taking on whatever projects he pleases and providing input to the AngelBros and anyone else as he chooses. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

 

According to everything I've seen, Brady has not been operating according to any normal corporate org. chart or as part of any chain command. I don't see any reason he couldn't be retained as a Special Advisor of some sort, at the same salary or with some raise, and continue to operate as he has, taking on whatever projects he pleases and providing input to the AngelBros and anyone else as he chooses. 

Any candidate for new President of Operations worth anything at all would have to be a fool to agree to this arrangement.   We shall see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...