Jump to content
Tony-OH

TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Recommended Posts

Not really deafening to me. It's during the World Series. They're being more secretive of the hiring process, which makes sense if you're hiring multiple very important roles. Ideally there'd be no leaks at a company. Reminds me back of MacPhail's tenure. Duquette leaked like woah. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Tony.

I don't want or need an update on the state of the various searches, what role Brady will have, etc. etc.

But it would be nice to have someone just poke their head out of the Warehouse and say "Hello! Well, that sucked. We are working on it. More later". Not so much for the words, more just to see who is saying them.  Right now:

1. The overbearing owner of the team is reported to be sick and not  making decisions anymore (no one has ever actually said this in public).

2. There are rumors a sale might be in the works...or pressured.

3. The person who told us what the plan was going to be got fired.

I understand the brothers don't want to stand up in front of TV cameras and say they are taking over from dad. The don't need to do that. Just say hello.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

A "State of the Orioles" release would be nice. Otherwise they subscribe to the keep them in the dark theory. And that makes no sense at all.

They gave a statement that they were going to hire a President from outside the organization and give that person full power.

Until that hire takes place, what would possibly be in a "State of the Orioles" release that you are asking for?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveA said:

They gave a statement that they were going to hire a President from outside the organization and give that person full power.

Until that hire takes place, what would possibly be in a "State of the Orioles" release that you are asking for?

Any statements that even remotely suggest passion, vision, course, commitment to the fanbase/customer from the Princes.    But, who knows, maybe the "Vatican selecting a new Pope" marketing strategy might work....I will thus be forced to wait for the white smoke from the Warehouse and will keep my powder dry....lol.  

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tntoriole said:

Any statements that even remotely suggest passion, vision, course, commitment to the fanbase/customer from the Princes.    But, who knows, maybe the "Vatican selecting a new Pope" marketing strategy might work....I will thus be forced to wait for the white smoke from the Warehouse and will keep my powder dry....lol.  

 

I hope to hear such statements at the introductory press conference for the new President and GM.   Doing it while a hiring process is going on would be silly.

As for the fanbase/customer thing... there are probably about a million people in the Baltimore area who might attend an O's game.   Probably what, 200,,000 to 300,000 of them at most actually go to a game at some point in the season.   Of those fans, there are probably less than 1000 fanatic people like us who are following this with intense interest and even thinking about baseball right now.   There are far more potential Oriole ticket buyers thinking about fooball, about their Halloween costume, or about who they are going to vote for Tuesday, then about the O's president/GM hiring and whether or not the owners are issuing "vision statements" out of the blue in the middle of October.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the silence is making many fans nervous because they are worried (and rightfully so) that the brothers will botch this.  

I’m assuming there will be an announcement on the new GM shortly after the World Series concludes. If the new hire is delayed any further it’s going to interfere with any off season transactions the team wants to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think the silence is making many fans nervous because they are worried (and rightfully so) that the brothers will botch this.  

I’m assuming there will be an announcement on the new GM shortly after the World Series concludes. If the new hire is delayed any further it’s going to interfere with any off season transactions the team wants to make.

Obviously that is a concern.   But I don't think issuing statements in the middle of a hiring process would somehow mean they would make a better decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

What in the brothers background makes anyone think that they can hire (or even recognize from afar) quality baseball management?

.  .  .

I have asked this question several times, in slightly different forms, over the course of the past season. To the best of my recollection, there's never been a substantive response, beyond the observation (which I share) that John seems like a decent and well-meaning guy, based on public appearances.

John has been Executive VP of the Orioles for almost 20 years, but I don't know of any positive contributions he has made. As I've observed before, it appears that neither has ever had a job that their father didn't give them and that neither appears to have ever said or done a thing to express disagreement with or dissent from the terrible decisions Peter Angelos has made as owner of the Orioles. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SteveA said:

Obviously that is a concern.   But I don't think issuing statements in the middle of a hiring process would somehow mean they would make a better decision.

I would have appreciated a press conference from the Angelos brothers, but would rather them make the right hire.

They appear to take after their old man and want to stay behind the curtain.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SteveA said:

I hope to hear such statements at the introductory press conference for the new President and GM.   Doing it while a hiring process is going on would be silly.

As for the fanbase/customer thing... there are probably about a million people in the Baltimore area who might attend an O's game.   Probably what, 200,,000 to 300,000 of them at most actually go to a game at some point in the season.   Of those fans, there are probably less than 1000 fanatic people like us who are following this with intense interest and even thinking about baseball right now.   There are far more potential Oriole ticket buyers thinking about fooball, about their Halloween costume, or about who they are going to vote for Tuesday, then about the O's president/GM hiring and whether or not the owners are issuing "vision statements" out of the blue in the middle of October.

There are multiple articles in the SF news media in the last month, the NY media, the Cincinnati media all communicating with their fan bases about their GM or President vacancies and searches but this organization is not one of those organizations.  It is not like they don’t OWN a media outlet themselves and that they could maybe give MASN something more than a historical review of our Rule 5 signees to write about..lol.   

I agree with you that there are certainly many competing entertainment interests for the attention of sports customers but I think that just allowing your product to remain completely out of mind of casual customers every offseason can’t improve your market share or help those ticket sales....particularly the corporate season ticket buyers who must really wonder if Oriole tickets are going to ever again going to be a trendy marketing buy for them.

 I  just really must wonder if the team actually is going to be sold.  We will find out eventually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, theocean said:

I agree. I don't understand why everyone here feels entitled to an update from the Front Office. The season ended less than a month ago. They released a statement at the end of the season. Let's give them a minute. Yeeesh.

An update from what front office? The one that know one even knows who's running it.

Other teams that are run a hell of alot better than the Orioles aren't this secretive when it comes to news. After a horrible season and a ton of questionable trades, I don't think it's entitlement to want some answers as to the direction of this franchise. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

 

I have asked this question several times, in slightly different forms, over the course of the past season. To the best of my recollection, there's never been a substantive response, beyond the observation (which I share) that John seems like a decent and well-meaning guy, based on public appearances.

John has been Executive VP of the Orioles for almost 20 years, but I don't know of any positive contributions he has made. As I've observed before, it appears that neither has ever had a job that their father didn't give them and that neither appears to have ever said or done a thing to express disagreement with or dissent from the terrible decisions Peter Angelos has made as owner of the Orioles. 

 

Well reasoned and probably true. And that might mean more of the same. I hope not but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveA said:

They gave a statement that they were going to hire a President from outside the organization and give that person full power.

Until that hire takes place, what would possibly be in a "State of the Orioles" release that you are asking for?

A lot of Teams do it. Think Ravens. They do it every year. If you want the Fans money, you might want to give them a hint. Marketing 101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

A lot of Teams do it. Think Ravens. They do it every year. If you want the Fans money, you might want to give them a hint. Marketing 101

Yep.   And John & Lou have been in charge for a few months.  

I hope they come out and give the kind of vision statement people are asking about ... at the press conference where the new President & GM are introduced.    If they don't it will be an indication that they are going to continue their father's tradition of not communicating with the public.

Doing it in the middle of a search would be silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

A lot of Teams do it. Think Ravens. They do it every year. If you want the Fans money, you might want to give them a hint. Marketing 101

I am all for a State of the Orioles. That said until someone is hired there is no point in having one. 

I agree 100% that the sons need to be more transparent but until the hirings are announced there is nothing to talk about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...