Tony-OH

TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Which is why I deliberately wrote "some that haven't been reported."  We don't know how many, but my assumption is it's more than three and they've had more than the seven reported interviews now.

Well I just read Meoli, it's 7 candidates and no ones moved to the 2nd round, so....we're gonna be here awhile. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-executive-search-20181102-story.html

Other confirmed departures from the organization include special assistant Lee Thomas, senior advisor Joe McIlvaine, advisor Jeremy Kapstein, assistant director of minor league and international operations Cale Cox, director of Dominican Republic baseball operations Nelson Norman and director of analytics and major league contracts Sarah Gelles.

Roch

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Which is why I deliberately wrote "some that haven't been reported."  We don't know how many, but my assumption is it's more than three and they've had more than the seven reported interviews now.

So far this looks like more of a fact finding mission with trying to find the next President mixed in. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I just read Meoli, it's 7 candidates and no ones moved to the 2nd round, so....we're gonna be here awhile. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-executive-search-20181102-story.html

Maybe they can’t move forward until the committee decides  the last at large candidate to make it an even 8. 

This is like March in another sport,  just call it November Madness.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Clearly, the O's have modeled their search on Amazon's search for HQ2. It's very thorough, to say the least. We should expect an announcement by late 2019 or early 2020.

Word is that Amazon has cut their candidates from 20 to 3.   Be great if the O's could do the same.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

This is my whole concern. 

There is a ton of people that need to be replaced. Those people will help the new Front Office be successful or not. 

I’m sure they just can’t wait around, they need a job with some team. 

11 hours ago, weams said:

I read/heard somewhere that the Angelos brothers were using this interview process to educate themselves on how other organizations have flourished. 

From the Sun article

As such, the interviews the Orioles have conducted, with seven finished and more still to come, according to an industry source, have been just as much about learning about the candidates as learning the modernizing practices of the teams the Orioles hope to model themselves after.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-executive-search-20181102-story.html

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe they can’t move forward until the committee decides  the last at large candidate to make it an even 8. 

This is like March in another sport,  just call it November Madness.  

The off-season for baseball here in OH, is always madness, just even more Madness this off-season, with all the empty vacancies awaiting to be filled.

Times like this make me wish the internet and places like this didn’t exist...... What I mean is I know full well I will check 4,565 times a day to see what the latest news is. I know I can’t just ignore the Orioles until it happens. I don’t have it in me.  

The days of reading the morning paper and going on about your life no matter what are long gone. 

25 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Peter Angelos tried very hard to get this franchise a title. He just went about it in an unfortunate manner. Poor or deliberate decision making does not equal a lack of competitiveness.

To me it sounds a lot more like the ownership has finally accepted the organization needs to undergo drastic changes to survive. And they're trying to find the right person to oversee that. Given that 2019 is a dud no matter what, I'm fine with them taking their time and getting it right.

True in principle.  But I have zero confidence that in the Orioles case, taking their time will equate to getting it right.  Hopefully I am wrong!

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

True in principle.  But I have zero confidence that in the Orioles case, taking their time will equate to getting it right.  Hopefully I am wrong!

Even in the chaos of the previous GM search. DD turned out to be a good hire and it was fun while it lasted.

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is my whole concern. 

There is a ton of people that need to be replaced. Those people will help the new Front Office be successful or not. 

I’m sure they just can’t wait around, they need a job with some team. 

If you get rid of practically everyone in the front office in October and November, and don't hire their replacements until February, look at the money you'll save. Maybe the next step is to lock up the Warehouse for the winter, have calls transferred to a receptionist working from home, turn off the lights and set the thermostat at 50 degrees, and save on heating and electricity until March.

"To our loyal fans: Come out and watch Chris Davis and the exciting young Orioles. We don't give a damn about the 2019 season, but you should!"

If they're using this process to get a feel for "modernizing" they're more screwed than I thought.  It means they're so far removed from "modernizing" that they really have no idea what's up.  If they don't know what "modernizing" means, they can't be making the best decision because they don't know what they're looking at.  

Seriously, just make a decision.  Pick one, give them a budget and GTFO of the way.  And then work your ass off to try to rebuild some of the goodwill your dad pissed down the toilet over the past 25 years.