Jump to content
Tony-OH

TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Recommended Posts

What I do not get is why someone standing at a podium or sitting behind a microphone would give people a better "FEELING" than issuing a press release. 

Does seeing someone in person make it more warm and fuzzy?? 

Does having a face to the statement make it more True?? 

Do they not believe printed word but need a "Face" to the words???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

An organization coming off it’s worst season in team history should at least have the self awareness to reassure the fan base that they have a plan to fix the franchise.

And a press release sent to the media doesn’t count.  One press conference on television/radio would have been more than enough and the Angelos brothers can’t even do that. 

 

Yupp. The Angelos sons continue their dad's tradition of alienating an already deflated fanbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

See the last part of my post. No specifics just a plan. Get new people i place before Winter meetings, people that will focus on international market, consistency across the minors, people that value analytics. That the team will be spending more on building the minors and player development.

I hope we get this done well befor the winter meetings.   

I agree with all that and I want to hear it too.  I just think expecting it now when they haven't hired anyone is ridiculous.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

What I do not get is why someone standing at a podium or sitting behind a microphone would give people a better "FEELING" than issuing a press release. 

Does seeing someone in person make it more warm and fuzzy?? 

Does having a face to the statement make it more True?? 

Do they not believe printed word but need a "Face" to the words???

Nah, just keep fans in the dark. I mean, the one guy that seemed to have a plan once they finally let him execute it...they fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is something else that is not talked about enough.

Peter Angelos net worth is 2.1 billion dollars.   If his assets are being put into a family trust the way the Tigers owner did, then John, Lou and Georgia Angelos are about to  under go a major life change.   If they control 2 billion they don't need to work.  They just need to be owners.  Owners of a baseball team and a Regional Sport Network.   Why would they not hire a President that is experienced in managing  the day to day operation.  And is the best guy for the job a baseball GM or a businessman with deep background in both fields?  Then hire an up and coming GM to do the rebuild.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But T, were the Mets coming off a historically awful season? Again, this is not just this last month we are talking about. We're talking an entire debacle of a season and they said nothing. They let Duquette runs the trades and talk about the future and then fire him? They allow Buck to stay as manager even though his overall record as manager here was being tarnished? The Orioles lost and lost and lost and the said nothing to anyone. Then all they do is drop a press release when Duquette and Buck are fired? 

Sorry, that's a consistent history or them not communicating with their fans and they have shown to be no different than their father in this regard.

Remember when Angelos had a two-man front office, Beattie-Flanagan (Beatagan) and Flanagan-Duquette?  The Mets said, "Hold me beer," and had a 3 man staff for "decisions," not exactly a model to emulate.  Expectations playing in the NY market are much higher than Baltimore and the Wilpons aren't exactly popular either.

Were the sons slow on the uptake with Dan and Buck?  Yeah, that's an understatement.  Russell could've taken over for Buck a lot easier than getting someone to do Dan's job of clearing payroll in July.   Was that why they were left in place?  Was it out of respect?  Was it simply for money, like their father would've done?  I can make excuses why they left them in place through October, but they aren't good ones I agree. 

A long, long time ago, I made my "bones" here bashing Pete simply by quoting him directly.  He hasn't given much fodder for several years now, and yes, you're right, the sons should be a lot more vocal.  No question the fans deserve it.

Back when Frank Wren was GM, one of the sons (I forgot which) jumped onto a phone call Wren was having with another GM.  Wren told them to get the heck off the phone and they went crying to Pete, who took their side.  I'm assuming the sons have wised up in the 20 years since.

My only hope in all this is the sons learned from their father's mistakes.  Bringing Brooks into the fold was one notable example.   IF indeed the apples didn't fall far from the tree, then we're indeed terminally screwed. Given that scenario, I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if my small hope is misplaced or not.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I guess I think differently about why you communicate with your customers.  You are not trying to "change peoples ideas."   You are trying to build interest in your product.  And whether we agree or disagree with whatever moves are made, all fans want MORE information.   I do not see marketing as putting out information to ask fans what to do...I see it as keeping your product viable.   Us pessimists have bought lots of tickets over the years too...lol. 

No one is going by tickets or merchandise if there are reports about who may or may not be the new president or Gm.  Heck they probably won’t do any of those think even after the president, gm, and manager are hired.   If you continued to follow this team through a historically awful season your not going to say in October that I give up on this team now because their is no rumors or they waited until November 3rd to sign a president.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

It was reported who the Mets were interviewing and where they are in those interviews. The Orioles have said nothing since it was rumored they were talking to Colletti back in the summer.

I know guys like Heyman have reported it, but have the Wilpons made a statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Remember when Angelos had a two-man front office, Beattie-Flanagan (Beatagan) and Flanagan-Duquette?  The Mets said, "Hold me beer," and had a 3 man staff for "decisions," not exactly a model to emulate.  Expectations playing in the NY market are much higher than Baltimore and the Wilpons aren't exactly popular either.

Were the sons slow on the uptake with Dan and Buck?  Yeah, that's an understatement.  Russell could've taken over for Buck a lot easier than getting someone to do Dan's job of clearing payroll in July.   Was that why they were left in place?  Was it out of respect?  Was it simply for money, like their father would've done?  I can make excuses why they left them in place through October, but they aren't good ones I agree. 

A long, long time ago, I made my "bones" here bashing Pete simply by quoting him directly.  He hasn't given much fodder for several years now, and yes, you're right, the sons should be a lot more vocal.  No question the fans deserve it.

Back when Frank Wren was GM, one of the sons (I forgot which) jumped onto a phone call Wren was having with another GM.  Wren told them to get the heck off the phone and they went crying to Pete, who took their side.  I'm assuming the sons have wised up in the 20 years since.

My only hope in all this is the sons learned from their father's mistakes.  Bringing Brooks into the fold was one notable example.   IF indeed the apples didn't fall far from the tree, then we're indeed terminally screwed. Given that scenario, I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if my small hope is misplaced or not.  

I've heard the bolded story in the past.  It doesn't leave me hopeful today.

All we have is their history to go from.  So as a result, I have a thimble full of hope left that this is going to turn out like they suggested back in July.  "International talent... build the farm... analytics... yada, yada."  I don't really care that we haven't "heard" anything per se.  I think something will come after the WS.  But what we have SEEN is them botch the international money and it was reported afterwards that they felt the top three were evidently too expensive.  What?!  Wait, say that again...  Isn't that what these dimwhits traded Gausman and O'Day for? ...to have the dough to land the top talent?  But now they're gonna keep it in their pocket and not even land a top 20 guy?  Good Heavens! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sounds like a wise man. ;)

Again, this is more about this entire year than the last few weeks. I don't expect them to give us a state of the Orioles at this juncture, and I agree that at this point, it makes little sense since hopefully they have identified who will be leading this franchise and they are just waiting until the end of the Series to make an announcement. But let me ask you this, what in their past actions makes you think they are some kind of wizard behind the curtain?

In case I wasn’t clear enough: absolutely nothing.    The burden of proof is on the sons to show they’ll be better than their father.   All I’m saying is that to me, having them make a statement wouldn’t convince me of anything.    If they hire someone competent and let him/her do their job, that’s the statement I need.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SteveA said:

I agree with all that and I want to hear it too.  I just think expecting it now when they haven't hired anyone is ridiculous.  

My concern is that Dan talked about building the minors, player development, consistency across the minor levels, and International. Then he was allowed to sell off, acquire prospects, reduce payroll and acquire slot space. Gaussman aside, he got credit for a good job. Then the time came for the Cubans, Dan is released, a team of talent evaluators with no GM experience goes and returns empty handed. Did Dan do something, did John change his mind, are the Orioles still going to follow the plan Dan spoke about? That's what I want to hear now and what they owe the fans, commitment to a plan forward and general timeline for exec hires.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Nah, just keep fans in the dark. I mean, the one guy that seemed to have a plan once they finally let him execute it...they fire.

Sometimes you regret turning on the lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnson let go now this comes out. 

 

I mean how can they let people go if they the person running the show isn’t already there? Makes you wonder if the hires aren’t already running things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...