Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weams

BA: Meoli lists 10

Recommended Posts

Some more quotes from an interesting chat.

Quote

Speaking of Kremer, here's a short answer in a bunch of long ones. I think No. 9 for someone who was basically a swingman searching for a role this time last year and went on to lead the minors in strikeouts is a fair jump. He missed a ton of bats thanks to his switch from a two-seam/slider mix to a four-seam/curveball mix (which came courtesy of the Dodgers' analytics staff),

DJ Stewart:

Quote

That said, I was glad to see him hit when he was up in September. He was put in a terrible position by the organization after a difficult year and showed himself well. That means something.
 

Quote

On that prove-it note, I think it's a big ask, but Wells has the command to do it as long as he stays ultra-fine with it. He's all about hitting his spots with his fastball and keeping hitters off balance with the curveball and changeup. A cutter might do wonders to make the fastball play up to give him another way to get weak contact down in the zone.

Pretty disappointed he didn't talk about Zoellner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WarehouseChatter said:

At least Ford had some playoff AB’s for us.....Zoellner.....probably not.

In his defense he will probably be 40 before the O's get to the playoffs again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liked a  lot of what Meoli had to say.

 Agree on Stewart having a hard time getting playing time once Diaz, McKenna and Hays are in the majors.  But Stewart is ahead of them right now and maybe for a year.

Meoli says what many in the O's organization are not willing to say about Mountcastle.  He is a 1B/DH.   Probably sees playing time in the majors after Trumbo is gone.  Maybe in July.  With the OF the O's should have in a year Mountcastle  probably will not see much time out there.

McKenna may pass Mullins in  a  year if Mullins can't hit lefties.   McKenna also has a better arm.   Mullins will be a good 4th OFer if guys achieve their potential.  But Mullins has a year head start to prove he can erase his holes.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Liked a  lot of what Meoli had to say.

 Agree on Stewart having a hard time getting playing time once Diaz, McKenna and Hays are in the majors.  But Stewart is ahead of them right now and maybe for a year.

Meoli says what many in the O's organization are not willing to say about Mountcastle.  He is a 1B/DH.   Probably sees playing time in the majors after Trumbo is gone.  Maybe in July.  With the OF the O's should have in a year Mountcastle  probably will not see much time out there.

McKenna may pass Mullins in  a  year if Mullins can't hit lefties.   McKenna also has a better arm.   Mullins will be a good 4th OFer if guys achieve their potential.  But Mullins has a year head start to prove he can erase his holes.

 

 

I'm fine with keeping Mountcastle  at third for now.  Word is he improved during the course of the season.  If he can get his defense to fringe average his bat will have a lot of value there.  The offensive bar is just so high at first and DH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with keeping Mountcastle  at third for now.  Word is he improved during the course of the season.  If he can get his defense to fringe average his bat will have a lot of value there.  The offensive bar is just so high at first and DH.

What?  Chris Davis makes the offensive bar too high?   Mountcastle has not even played a AAA yet.   If RM  plays the  first half a AAA and Trumbo is traded in July, they can make space.

A lot depends on if Davis can be better than he was last year.  If not he is on the bench with Mancini playing 1B. A new President/GM has not allegiance to Davis.  They probably give him a chance to show he can still be a productive hitter and if he fails after a month to 6 weeks he goes to the bench. Becomes a defensive last inning replacement.  He gets another chance when there are injuries, which there always are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

What?  Chris Davis makes the offensive bar too high?   Mountcastle has not even played a AAA yet.   If RM  plays the  first half a AAA and Trumbo is traded in July, they can make space.

A lot depends on if Davis can be better than he was last year.  If not he is on the bench with Mancini playing 1B. A new President/GM has not allegiance to Davis.  They probably give him a chance to show he can still be a productive hitter and if he fails after a month to 6 weeks he goes to the bench. Becomes a defensive last inning replacement.  He gets another chance when there are injuries, which there always are.

Has nothing to do with how inept Davis has been.

His bat has a lot more value if he can stick at third.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has nothing to do with how inept Davis has been.

His bat has a lot more value if he can stick at third.

If Mountcastle can not play 3B as good or better defensively than Nunez for the O's, he will not play there IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has nothing to do with how inept Davis has been.

His bat has a lot more value if he can stick at third.

He can not. Please, if there is one thing you take from me it's the fact that no one, not one person, even remotely thinks Mountcastle can stay at 3B. Some don't even think he can play first base because of his throwing. Saying that, I think its worth giving him the experience at first base and left field next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He can not. Please, if there is one thing you take from me it's the fact that no one, not one person, even remotely thinks Mountcastle can stay at 3B. Some don't even think he can play first base because of his throwing. Saying that, I think its worth giving him the experience at first base and left field next year.

I keep seeing this over and over. If his arm is so bad, why would you put him anywhere in the OF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Well I don’t remember reading that in your original post, but yes that would be the very poster child of collusion. However, publicly saying, “it is stupid to sign a washed up veteran for too much money,” Is neither wrong, nor wrong. And it would be not wrong to publicly say, “the owners shouldn’t spend so much money on free agents” And it probably wouldn’t be wrong to say, “I’m going to have a meeting of all the general managers and tell them that they shouldn’t pay so much money to free agents because they aren’t worth it.”  After all, if they are free to do business as they wish, and they all agree that high dollar free agents are overvalued, that may be a fine line between “collusion“ and “good business practice.“ I’m not attempting to argue against what happened, just Wondering if it would still have been collusion if the owners had publicly explained that it was bad business?
    • It amazes me that people that were so angry when I suggested that you shouldn't feed your kids hot dogs and sodas are now so worried about ccvid. Heart Disease deaths in this country are 650k a year. Strokes kill 140k a year in the US and Diabetes 85k. And 620k from Diabetes.     The same thing that makes you at risk from dying from covid is the same thing that puts you at risk from dying from Heart Disease, Diabetes and stroke.  Yet I have yet to hear anyone else say they have given up processed food, meats, and exercising and eating more fruits and vegetables more since Covid started.    
    • I'm sure they're stretching out to the point that first start might be 5 or 75 pitches, then 6 or 90, then opened up.
    • There are 2 different discussions here. First of all, I’m good with selling off pieces and going cheaper and younger for now..of course, they did it in a half assed way and other guys should be gone. Secondly, this rebuild started with DD still here.  The Gausman deal was strictly about saving money.  If they cared about the best rebuild possible, you ignore the pennies and get the best players. Also, we saw the deal between the Angels and the Giants and how the Giants essentially bought a good prospect for taking on Cozart’s deal.  That was right after the Bundy deal and was the Os needed a SS at the time.  You then heard Elias basically say that type of deal wouldn’t be signed off on by the owners.  That’s a huge problem to me. The Orioles are spending about 100M less on payroll than they did 3-4 years ago.  They have flexibility to take advantage of teams that could try to dump contracts and attach good young players to it.(see David Price as an example) They can take advantage and sign a FA who maybe has slipped through the cracks.     There are things they are doing that are encouraging but I see no reason to have total faith in them and give them the benefit of the doubt.  Elias will have to be really good for this to work and if he is just above average, the team probably will struggle to truly contend unless things break right for them like they did from 2012-2016.
    • Servideo is in Baltimore today so expect his signing to be imminent. 
    • https://nccueaglepride.com/sports/baseball/roster/shane-davis/6327#:~:text=Tossed 191 strikeouts over 135.0,a 3.68 ERA in 2018. Works 88-90 but with high spin rate and can touch 92-93 on occasion. Reportedly uses a decent curveball and change and shows a slider at times.     
    • 100% impossible to know that at this stage. The fact they hired Elias and Co. and started an Analytics Dept and an International Scouting dept alone means they get it.  It's a PROPER rebuild. Not the half-assed approach we've been treated to at various times over the last 20 years or so. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...