Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weams

BA: Meoli lists 10

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, panick said:

I keep seeing this over and over. If his arm is so bad, why would you put him anywhere in the OF?

I think that's going to change next year. My impression was Mountcastle has stayed on the left side of the infield because of Duquette. I guess we'll find out next spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, weams said:

I was impressed by Meoli’s level of knowledge of our prospects and his personal observations about their strengths and weaknesses.   He clearly talked to other sources but had his own pretty solid opinions.   Interesting that he used to work for a Red Sox prospects site.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So our #3 prospect is Mountcastle who can't field, throw or run?  Well, I guess his bat is pretty darn good, so he just needs to be ready by the time Trumbo is gone.  And it is encouraging that he seems to work hard at it.  Cough Cough...Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, foxfield said:

So our #3 prospect is Mountcastle who can't field, throw or run?  Well, I guess his bat is pretty darn good, so he just needs to be ready by the time Trumbo is gone.  And it is encouraging that he seems to work hard at it.  Cough Cough...Chris.

He can field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's going to change next year. My impression was Mountcastle has stayed on the left side of the infield because of Duquette. I guess we'll find out next spring.

It's amazing that he came up as a shortstop, arguably the most demanding defensive position on the field, but now probably can't even play first.  Hopefully we can get some value out of him defensively, at some position, when he is up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

It's amazing that he came up as a shortstop, arguably the most demanding defensive position on the field, but now probably can't even play first.  Hopefully we can get some value out of him defensively, at some position, when he is up here.

What is even more amazing is that the Orioles spent this much time keeping him on the left side of the infield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Then what am I missing...is it just the arm?  I have not seem him play.

I haven't either.

What I have read is that it is the arm.

Not saying he would be a plus fielder if his arm was better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

It's amazing that he came up as a shortstop, arguably the most demanding defensive position on the field, but now probably can't even play first.  Hopefully we can get some value out of him defensively, at some position, when he is up here.

Mark Reynolds.

Of course Mark is blind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He can not. Please, if there is one thing you take from me it's the fact that no one, not one person, even remotely thinks Mountcastle can stay at 3B. Some don't even think he can play first base because of his throwing. Saying that, I think its worth giving him the experience at first base and left field next year.

I don't see how anyone playing third base cannot play first because of their arm.  There have some pretty weak throwing first basemen that had solid careers.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atomic said:

I don't see how anyone playing third base cannot play first because of their arm.  There have some pretty weak throwing first basemen that had solid careers.   

Then ones who expressed concerns about his throwing from first was because of long arm action and lack of arm strength and accuracy. Of course another one said, "how many throws does a first baseman need to make anyways?"

I'd personally put him wherever the Orioles think he will play in the big leagues. If it were me, I'd put him in left field first to see how he looks and then transition him to first base which would be easier transition. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, wildcard said:

...if Mullins can't hit lefties.  

 

 

I was thinking about this the other day.  His lines versus LHP to date have been:

2015 - .181/.272/.278
2016 - .217/.282/.350
2017 - .208/.277/.327
2018 - .222/.312/.333

Has anyone ever seen a study on how common it is for a guy with pretty severe platoon splits throughout his minor league development to suddenly 'get it' at the major league level?  I presume it doesn't happen too often, but couldn't find any research on the subject.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FuManchu said:

I was thinking about this the other day.  His lines versus LHP to date have been:

2015 - .181/.272/.278
2016 - .217/.282/.350
2017 - .208/.277/.327
2018 - .222/.312/.333

Has anyone ever seen a study on how common it is for a guy with pretty severe platoon splits throughout his minor league development to suddenly 'get it' at the major league level?  I presume it doesn't happen too often, but couldn't find any research on the subject.   

Well at least his platoon would be on the strong side.  He could get 425  at bats a season if he only hit well and played vs righties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well at least his platoon would be on the strong side.  He could get 425  at bats a season if he only hit well and played vs righties.

If his glove was plus I might be OK with him spot starting against lefties just for the defense.

Depending of course on the overall makeup of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Then ones who expressed concerns about his throwing from first was because of long arm action and lack of arm strength and accuracy. Of course another one said, "how many throws does a first baseman need to make anyways?"

I'd personally put him wherever the Orioles think he will play in the big leagues. If it were me, I'd put him in left field first to see how he looks and then transition him to first base which would be easier transition. 

2018 GG winner at 1B Matt Olsen played 1403 innings at 1B this year (note that 162*9 = 1458, so most of them) and had just 84 assists, one every 16.7 innings. Chris Davis in his career has had 529 assists in 8790 1B innings, a similar 16.6 innings/A. I would assume the vast majority of them are quick hitting 3-6 plays and underhanded 3-1 tosses that even I can do, so I am curious how much harm a terrible arm would do. Cut offs from the outfield seems like an obvious issue but can you hide that some by switching assignments? And even if you can't how many runs is it going to cost you over a year? I have no clue but man he must have an awful arm if it's that concerning to those in the know...

Edited by makoman
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...