Frobby

Will Roch actually ask his questions?

The Baltimore Sun is basically cutting the staff even more. Probably won't have a print edition in a few years or less. Sports department is also getting very slim. Ed Encina ,one of the Orioles beat writers is gone. Not much local media left to ask questions. 

https://baltimorefishbowl.com/stories/the-sun-newsroom-receives-buyout-offers-from-tribune-publishing/

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Roch has a list of questions for Elias in his column today, like:

- What is the status of Brady Anderson?

- Did Chris Davis’ contract come up during the discussions?

Hey, great questions, Roch.   Now, will you have the guts to ask them at the actual press conference?

One question not on his list: what does “total autonomy” really mean?   When do you need to get ownership approval for what you do?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/questions-awaiting-elias-at-mondays-introduction.html

I hear you, but how, realistically, do you think Elias would/will respond? I'm sure Elias would provide polite responses like, "I look forward to meeting Brady and we will evaluate all staff positions in the near future blah blah", "We are looking forward to a bounce back year from Chris Davis", etc. He's not going to say anything controversial about Anderson or Davis. He would be a fool and a jerk to do so. We know from prior hires, the link to the article regarding Wren's hire was particularly depressing, that actions definitely speak louder than words regarding autonomy...it doesn't matter what Elias says, it's what the Angelos' do that matters. 

32 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I know this much, I have more respect for Roch than I do most on here. Clearly many on here don't understand Roch, his role and his challenges. He is a strong asset to the Orioles and we are lucky to have him.

What challenges does he really face? Only reporting what you're told to and always defending every single move they make. And be paid pretty well to do so. What's really to understand about him? We all know he does and says what the Orioles pay him to do. What else is there to really understand? Hes more of a PR guy than a reporter. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I know this much, I have more respect for Roch than I do most on here. Clearly many on here don't understand Roch, his role and his challenges. He is a strong asset to the Orioles and we are lucky to have him.

I doubt Elias reads the OH.  I would be surprised if he didn't read the local news about the O's including Roch's blog.  Roch has done a good job communicating the concerns the fans have at the moment.  He's put them on the table for all to see, but not shoved them in Elias' face.  Good enough for me.  For now.

I have different expectations for Roch as well.  He isn't Mike Wallace and this isn't 1982 when we weren't overwhelmed with information.  Bloggers in 2018 shouldn't be viewed in the same light as investigative reporters IMO.  Case in point - imagine the nonsense that would evolve into "fact" on here if Roch's blog didn't serve to keep things at least somewhat connected to reason.  Appreciate him for what he is, as you say, an asset.

• Upvote 2

I have a few nagging questions that are even less likely to be asked:

1. How is Peter's health? We haven't seen him in a long time, and we have heard reports.

2. What happens to the team when he passes?

2. Do you think the MASN dispute is going to get resolved soon?

3. Your father had ethical issues with much of the international player market, to the point that he refused to participate in it. Do you have the same qualms or have things changed?

21 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I doubt Elias reads the OH.  I would be surprised if he didn't read the local news about the O's including Roch's blog.  Roch has done a good job communicating the concerns the fans have at the moment.  He's put them on the table for all to see, but not shoved them in Elias' face.  Good enough for me.  For now.

I have different expectations for Roch as well.  He isn't Mike Wallace and this isn't 1982 when we weren't overwhelmed with information.  Bloggers in 2018 shouldn't be viewed in the same light as investigative reporters IMO.  Case in point - imagine the nonsense that would evolve into "fact" on here if Roch's blog didn't serve to keep things at least somewhat connected to reason.  Appreciate him for what he is, as you say, an asset.

I don’t really want to single Roch out.    But it seems fair to ask, if he’s going to write a blog identifying the pertinent questions, shouldn’t he then be asking those questions?

Of course Meoli, Ghiroli and whoever else is at the “introduction” should be asking these questions too.    

6 minutes ago, section18 said:

Two questions !

1. Do you expect to make any additions to the roster prior to the winter meetings in December?

2. Have you been told what our maximum payroll will be for the 2019 season?

Second question is the wrong question.   Elias should be given a total amount he can spend on baseball operations.   How he allocates that between major league payroll, analytics, scouting, international spending, etc. should be totally up to him.   

Here's a set of questions I'd like to ask Elias and that I think he might answer, at least a little bit:

After a couple of last-place finishes, more than a season of really bad baseball, and the trades of most of the team's veteran players, Oriole fans will be eager to know whether the team's leaders believe they're making progress toward making the Orioles competitive again. Do you expect to provide regular reports to the media and the fans, through press conferences or statements or appearances on call-in radio shows, to talk about the team's priorities and goals and about how the rebuilding effort is going?

Will you commit to doing that? About how often do you think Oriole fans can expect to hear from you?  

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Roch has a list of questions for Elias in his column today, like:

- What is the status of Brady Anderson?

- Did Chris Davis’ contract come up during the discussions?

Hey, great questions, Roch.   Now, will you have the guts to ask them at the actual press conference?

One question not on his list: what does “total autonomy” really mean?   When do you need to get ownership approval for what you do?

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/11/questions-awaiting-elias-at-mondays-introduction.html

To be fair' Roch never said these were questions he was going to ask. He was making a list of points Elias could address at the press conference,