Tony-OH

TT: Dillon Tate added to the 40-man

21 hours ago, interloper said:

Maybe. Some guys are just gonna be bad though, so I would caution folks against thinking Elias is going to magic-wand everyone with data and make them good. I've had to catch my own self from starting to think that. His methods WILL fix a couple guys I think, but more importantly, they will be fixing guys while they are in the low minors. And even MORE importantly, they'll be picking the right guys in the draft based on better data. Fixing someone at the ML level is a last resort. 

Sorry!  But I'm thinking that we can battle the Rays for third NEXT season!  If we can find a couple of "openers"!  😇

21 hours ago, wildcard said:

Beckham will be  29 in January with a projected 4.75m salary and Tate will be 25 in May, has options and will be on a minor league salary of maybe 200-300K.    While neither has played to their potential there is a big difference in whether they can reach that potential.

Beckham could have a great future in Japan.

7 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Beckham could have a great future in Japan.

Good idea - I'm thinking that "Swaggy T" could go a long way in Yomiuri!

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Good idea - I'm thinking that "Swaggy T" could go a long way in Yomiuri!

Maybe they will try to sell his contract before they have to non-tender him.

50 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Just to pick a nit 😉, the minimum minor league 2019 salary (per the current CBA) for players on the 40-man for the first time is $45,300.

That is what I love about  this place.  There is a wealth on knowledge.  Thanks for the correction.

11 hours ago, Malike said:

Tate was 10th in the Yankees system. Our system is much deeper than people thought.

Depth isn’t really a problem.   It’s the premium talent at the very top that’s lacking.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2018 at 9:17 AM, interloper said:

Maybe. Some guys are just gonna be bad though, so I would caution folks against thinking Elias is going to magic-wand everyone with data and make them good. I've had to catch my own self from starting to think that. His methods WILL fix a couple guys I think, but more importantly, they will be fixing guys while they are in the low minors. And even MORE importantly, they'll be picking the right guys in the draft based on better data. Fixing someone at the ML level is a last resort. 

Data collected on these players and what is needed to correct some flaws is given to the players through the proper channels.  What the player does with it or is receptive to will be telling as to who is kept and who is released. In the end, the players need to believe in "THE PROCESS"  if they do not then "THE PROCESS" will get rid of them.

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2018 at 9:20 AM, Frobby said:

Depth isn’t really a problem.   It’s the premium talent at the very top that’s lacking.  

The Yankees have some premium talent, though. For Tate to be ranked 10th in a fat system and 17th in a pretty skinny one says something to me.

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2018 at 6:17 AM, interloper said:

Maybe. OTOH, look at a guy like JD Martinez who just needed to apply launch angle; or Arrieta, etc. who may have just needed a tweak to a pitch or delivery--I believe Elias even spoke to that fine line with pitcher improvements.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Malike said:

The Yankees have some premium talent, though. For Tate to be ranked 10th in a fat system and 17th in a pretty skinny one says something to me.

His performance dipped after the trade.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:07 AM, Can_of_corn said:

His performance dipped after the trade.

Steve Melewski notes:

"RHP DIllon Tate said he was slowed in September throwing in Sarasota by shoulder inflammation iwth a small slap tear.  'Its nothing that I can't work through.   I've rehabbed.   No issues.   My shoulder feels strong'".

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Steve Melewski notes:

"RHP DIllon Tate said he was slowed in September throwing in Sarasota by shoulder inflammation iwth a small slap tear.  'Its nothing that I can't work through.   I've rehabbed.   No issues.   My shoulder feels strong'".

Slap tears are no bueno.

• Upvote 1

The injury is a huge concern of course. But I also have Mike Wright, Branden Kline, Chris Lee, vibes from him. With the value that relievers have nowadays, why not take these guys and let them relieve in the upper minors. I know the theory is let them start until they show they can’t, but what if that destroys their self confidence. Plus they could start tinkering with things in an attempt to be a “starter” and not even resemble what they were doing to have success. It shouldn’t be all or nothing. I’d like to get some value out of these arms.