Jump to content
Tony-OH

Elias Progress Thread

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, section18 said:

There are players in our minor league system that could be part of our rebuild right now. Why aren't they here?  It took forever it eems but they did finally get rid of wright. Slowly we are getting the right roster but others are obvious.Tony mentioned Williams yesterday. our manager was asked about Mountcastle yesterday n the radio by Roch and all he said was he is playing well in so many words.  He can be moved around and DH. They are fcused on CD right now and don't want to disrupt the 1B platoon. Mpuntvastle is hitting .342 the last I checked with a .369 OBP. He should be brought up now. They are listing him as a 3B but he can play 1B on a platoon and DH.

Because they you don't throw good building materials on a fire, you wait until you have enough building materials and you let the fire burn out, then you build. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, section18 said:

There are players in our minor league system that could be part of our rebuild right now. Why aren't they here?  It took forever it eems but they did finally get rid of wright. Slowly we are getting the right roster but others are obvious.Tony mentioned Williams yesterday. our manager was asked about Mountcastle yesterday n the radio by Roch and all he said was he is playing well in so many words.  He can be moved around and DH. They are fcused on CD right now and don't want to disrupt the 1B platoon. Mpuntvastle is hitting .342 the last I checked with a .369 OBP. He should be brought up now. They are listing him as a 3B but he can play 1B on a platoon and DH.

This is all part of the process.  I promise you that by mid season/after the trade deadline, we will start to see some of the dead weight removed from the roster and replaced by prospects.  What you see now is not how it’s going to look all year.  The FO is giving some younger 4A players a chance to play everyday to see if they can become long-term contributors, such as Dwight Smith Jr., Rio Ruiz, & Renato Nunez.  So far, these guys are looking like they could be, but we need more time to assess them.  Same thing with a guy like John Means, who so far looks like he could be a nugget.  Patience my friend.  I know it’s tough and depressing right now, but this is what a rebuild looks like, and the Orioles have never truly done it like this, which is the way it should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 11:45 AM, section18 said:

There are players in our minor league system that could be part of our rebuild right now. Why aren't they here?  It took forever it eems but they did finally get rid of wright. Slowly we are getting the right roster but others are obvious.Tony mentioned Williams yesterday. our manager was asked about Mountcastle yesterday n the radio by Roch and all he said was he is playing well in so many words.  He can be moved around and DH. They are fcused on CD right now and don't want to disrupt the 1B platoon. Mpuntvastle is hitting .342 the last I checked with a .369 OBP. He should be brought up now. They are listing him as a 3B but he can play 1B on a platoon and DH.

.347 now.  Ridiculous to not bring him up at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

.347 now.  Ridiculous to not bring him up at this point.

There's nowhere to play him. CD is finally hitting and he's a capable 1Bman. Much more capable than Mountcastle at this point. Nunez (and a few others) are DHing  for rest or in Nunez' case because he doesn't have a position (or an arm for 3B imo...) Ruiz and Alberto are doing fine there. Leave Ryan at Norfolk getting reps at 1B for now.

And just because he's tearing up the Int'l. League dosen't mean he'll tear up the MLs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scOtt said:

There's nowhere to play him. CD is finally hitting and he's a capable 1Bman. Much more capable than Mountcastle at this point. Nunez (and a few others) are DHing  for rest or in Nunez' case because he doesn't have a position (or an arm for 3B imo...) Ruiz and Alberto are doing fine there. Leave Ryan at Norfolk getting reps at 1B for now.

And just because he's tearing up the Int'l. League dosen't mean he'll tear up the MLs...

How much have you seen of Mountcastle at first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How much have you seen of Mountcastle at first?

Maybe some this spring but I'm not even sure he played first in spring. In Mike we trust.

He's only 22. What's wrong with a lot of this year in the minors learning a new position? While we have capable 1Bman in Balmer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Maybe some this spring but I'm not even sure he played first in spring. In Mike we trust.

He's only 22. What's wrong with a lot of this year in the minors learning a new position? While we have capable 1Bman in Balmer.

I was just wondering what you were basing the comment " CD is finally hitting and he's a capable 1Bman. Much more capable than Mountcastle at this point. " on.

I don't think Davis is any great shakes at first and I wouldn't be surprised if Mountcastle isn't fairly comparable already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I was just wondering what you were basing the comment " CD is finally hitting and he's a capable 1Bman. Much more capable than Mountcastle at this point. " on.

I don't think Davis is any great shakes at first and I wouldn't be surprised if Mountcastle isn't fairly comparable already.

I think Davis is pretty average at least. And Mountcastle has all of 24 games experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I think Davis is pretty average at least. And Mountcastle has all of 24 games experience.

I think he's a tick below and that Mountcastle, aside from his arm, is the better athlete.

I'm not suggesting Mountcastle needs to be up right now, I think they need to get rid of some of the guys in front of him first, but I wouldn't just assume Davis has the superior glove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's a tick below and that Mountcastle, aside from his arm, is the better athlete.

I'm not suggesting Mountcastle needs to be up right now, I think they need to get rid of some of the guys in front of him first, but I wouldn't just assume Davis has the superior glove.

Fair enough. I'd just like to see him get some reps first. Plus not get only 2 or 3 games a week in Baltimore.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let Mountcastle hit some more in the minors. Maybe he'll start taking some more walks too. Right now his obp is heavily driven by avg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scOtt said:

There's nowhere to play him. CD is finally hitting and he's a capable 1Bman. Much more capable than Mountcastle at this point. Nunez (and a few others) are DHing  for rest or in Nunez' case because he doesn't have a position (or an arm for 3B imo...) Ruiz and Alberto are doing fine there. Leave Ryan at Norfolk getting reps at 1B for now.

And just because he's tearing up the Int'l. League dosen't mean he'll tear up the MLs...

Like I have said just DFA Ruiz or Nunez.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Fair enough. I'd just like to see him get some reps first. Plus not get only 2 or 3 games a week in Baltimore.

You can play him everyday in Baltimore at First.  DH Davis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, atomic said:

Like I have said just DFA Ruiz or Nunez.

I'm late to respond...

You're still thinking that this year's record matters one iota. Or that Elias cares about that. Man the ship at the major league level and develop down under. #1 pick next year is just a happy side effect of that. 2 or 3 years from now when we're reaping some benefits the fans will come back.

Look at 2012. 14 years of losing seasons and futility and no hope and 8000 attendance on a Wednesday night against the White Sox. A revolving door of GMs and managers and pitching coaches. We contended in late 2012 and the fans PACKED the Yard again. Build it (right) and They will come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm late to respond...

You're still thinking that this year's record matters one iota. Or that Elias cares about that. Man the ship at the major league level and develop down under. #1 pick next year is just a happy side effect of that. 2 or 3 years from now when we're reaping some benefits the fans will come back.

Look at 2012. 14 years of losing seasons and futility and no hope and 8000 attendance on a Wednesday night against the White Sox. A revolving door of GMs and managers and pitching coaches. We contended in late 2012 and the fans PACKED the Yard again. Build it (right) and They will come.

 

What does bringing up Mountcastle have to do with this years record?  The pitching is terrible and they will finish in last place with or without Mountcastle.  He is ready for the big leagues so he should be brought up. Nunez and Ruiz aren’t going to help the club to turn into winners down the road so I don’t see why we are stopping development of a player to keep them around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...