tntoriole

Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Brady obsession is crazy out of control on the board. Seriously. Some of you guys should take a week break from posting about Brady. Take a deep breath and just walk away. 😥

We aren't allowed to talk about Mancini anymore.  ☹️

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

They never saw them play...lol.  

You and I did. And they were great. So was Earl. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Notecards actually.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/8859609/legendary-orioles-manager-earl-weaver-was-always-ahead-game

In the eighth inning of Game 1 of the 1979 American League Championship Series, the Angels brought in reliever John Montague. He had been acquired late in the season, so Weaver didn't have a white card on him. So Weaver breathlessly called the press box looking for 20-year-old intern Dr. Charles Steinberg, who was responsible for, among other things, the data for the white cards.

"I don't have Montague!" Earl yelled.

A panicked Steinberg worked quickly to look up the Montague numbers, then gave the white card to Earl's daughter Kim, who was an Oriole BaseBell, a person who, among other duties, helped deliver things, such as soft drinks, during games. She had never delivered a key piece of information to her father during a game. So she rushed down from the press box, through the Orioles clubhouse, where she'd never been allowed, past Jim Palmer, who was wearing only a towel, and into the dugout. Weaver saw it: The guy to use against Montague was John Lowenstein, who was 3-for-4 against him with two homers.

When the spot came up, Lowenstein pinch hit, and he hit a three-run homer to win the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I was 10 and at that game.  There were a few that summer that were walk offs like that, but the upper deck was shaking with everyone jumping up and down.  What a great memory!  Still get chills thinking about it.  The next day was just as fun.  Got out of school for that one.  I was convinced we were going to win the WS that season.  Almost...

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I love this Yasmani Grandal slash line: .121/.372/.288, good for a wRC+ of 108.  He’s basically been an excellent offensive catcher despite a .121 batting average and just 5 extra base hits. 
    • During telecast, Holt compared Don Cesar to Doug Jones and Big Ben agreed.  His "dead fish" was elevated close to the surface last night but most of the dead fish I have seen float pretty good.  🐟
    • Sorry about that.  All I can see is that someone did it - can't tell who.  
    • Love that a 6 IP, 1.00 WHIP (0 BB), 0 ER start in which he had a low pitch count and was only pulled for a pinch hitter in a situation that clearly called for it is so ho-hum / expected at this point  
    • Game 36, May 11 Defense arguably cost us this game in the 9th inning.    With one out and runners on first and second, Hays dove for a soft liner in the gap but came well short of catching it.   Mullins fielded it cleanly on a hop and relayed it to Urias, who turned and threw home well wide and past Severino while the runner scored from 2B.   The play was backed up, but the bad throw allowed Jonathan Villar, who had been on 1B, to advance to 3B with only one out.   With the infield in, the hitter bounced a grounder to Mancini, whose throw to Severino came in head-high and Severino’s tag was late.   If the throw had been knee high, it would have been very close at the plate, though I can’t say Villar definitely would have been out.  I’d also say Mancini’s throw was a bit fluttery in addition to coming in too high.    The first play was notable in several respects.   First, Hays’ dive was ill-advised, as he really wasn’t close to catching it.   Second, Mullins made the decision to relay the ball to Urias rather than throw directly home, which was probably the right decision given his weak arm (even his relay throw was a one-hopper) but an outfielder with a stronger arm might have been able to nail the runner at the plate.   Third, with Mullins having made that decision, it was a mistake for Urias to turn and throw home.   And then, his throw wasn’t good.   Even so, Severino might have been able to stop it from getting past him, though the play properly was scored as an error on Urias.   So all around, a very disappointing play.     
    • Man I hope it works out for this kid. He's so close.
    • Right. I used to prefer Hall because of his actual elite upside as a lefty. His control issues became more apparent as Rodriguez's upside started to emerge as elite too, so I flipped. I know elite's a word that we shouldn't throw around a ton, but the upside of these two is off the charts and they're at a better spot arguably than any group we've had here in a long time. Think of this list of misses and good but not great guys. Loewen was supposed to be awesome, but never performed. Matt Riley was hyped, but rushed and seemingly didn't have the maturity for the gig. Matusz was a top pick, but without elite stuff. Arrieta was pretty electric in the minors and was grouped with Matusz/Hernandez and others, so that was certainly a nice crop. Gausman didn't have the 3rd pitch. Harvey does have an elite arm was hurt almost from the jump. Even Bundy's crazy elite profile was tempered almost immediately by velocity drops and shoulder issues. Then there's Hobgoo..... These two have crossed time/stuff/performance hurdles that many of our other guys haven't. They're not here yet. They have risk, and Hall still does with command for sure, but they're the best top 2 pitching prospects we've paired since McDonald/Mussina, IMO.
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now