Jump to content
tntoriole

Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

For the love of baseball, how the hell you can lay all the blame for Wright on Brady is laughable.

Buck was enamored with Wright too.

Bottom line, Wright was here because DD allowed it, or DD had his hands tied by Ownership, not Brady

Well, Buck is gone.  DD is gone.  Wright is still here.  Brady is still here.  

Glad that's all you took from my post.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, Buck is gone.  DD is gone.  Wright is still here.  Brady is still here.  

Glad that's all you took from my post.  

So Wright has a ST invite to see how he performs under different pitching coach and manager.

Doesnt mean he automatically keeps his 40 man spot.

Heck Brady might be gone by ST.

I know you blame Bady for ODay and Trumboi, got to blame somebody.

My opinion on that, is the same as for Wright, so what, DD was in charge, in theory had the final call to make. Blame DD or Ownership.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

We shall see, as time progresses.

Brady also oversaw the building of the Sarasota training facility and thats a bit more complicated then just knowing how to lift barbells.

Sometime people have roles where titles are hard to pencil in.

I spent 10 years working for a boss. Technically, I was probably staff weenie,  I did whatever was sent my way, I was a jack of all trades, putting out fires and making management type decisions, without technically being a boss, because that's what the boss expected of me. , my job was to reduce his load and keep things from reaching his desk unless it was truly important. Not easy telling people to do things without being their technical supervisor, But I learned that with tract and talking with people instead of to them, they were pretty good about understanding the situation.

So true. In that regard, Brady's been operating in a grey area for years, now. 

Hey, I root for his success as a former Oriole. I just don't want him to become a distraction. 

It seems what happened is: The Orioles front-office stumbled along for years between Gillick and Duquette (remarkable run of ineffectiveness). During that time, Brady hung around the Warehouse. He built his little network, mainly with ownership. So he was here when DD came onboard, I believe. 

Again, I think you gotta pay your dues to really learn something well. This idea that Brady can train wind sprints for 2 hours... then jump into a contract-negotiation meeting... then go out and offer some pitching advice... C'mon. That's a guy without a defined role or responsibility. And he's high up enough in the food chain to concern a guy like Elias, IMO, given his mixed background and history of circumventing colleagues. 

ALL that said... you are on point, I think, in saying that it's all Mike Elias's issue now. Hopefully it'll all work out and Brady will stay in his lane, as Moose put it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean let's just look at Brady's recent track record. 

1) He was tasked with negotiating contracts for free agents pitchers before the 2018. He signed Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner who collectively had a collective 5.095 era in 2018. He also gave both pitchers multi-year deals (Cobb - 4 years and Cashner - 2 years) when other comparable pitchers, like Lance Lynn, were only being given single year contracts.

2) He was tasked with signing the high profile international prospects after Duquette was let go in the fall of 2018. He failed to sign any of the top three prospects, even though the Orioles had the most money to spend (at the time).

And this doesn't even take into account all the other things that we expect he's been involved in over the years. But based on the fancy title they gave him it's abundantly clear that he's definitely been doing more than strength and conditioning over the last five years. And before we start the old "we don't know what he's been responsible for" argument that's really the crux of the problem with Brady and his role with the organization. Over the years the Orioles' GMs and managers have been held accountable for trades, acquisitions, and their overall record, but Brady hasn't even though we suspect he's had a significant role in all of these areas. So while everyone else has to deal with the scrutiny of the fans and media Brady gets patted on the head by Uncle Peter. Does that seem fair to you? Honestly a small part of me actually hoped they did name him the GM because then he would have finally had to answer to someone other than Peter Angelos. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Wright has a ST invite to see how he performs under different pitching coach and manager.

Doesnt mean he automatically keeps his 40 man spot.

Heck Brady might be gone by ST.

I know you blame Bady for ODay and Trumboi, got to blame somebody.

My opinion on that, is the same as for Wright, so what, DD was in charge, in theory had the final call to make. Blame DD or Ownership.

 

The fact that Wright has an ST invite is a joke.

I don't blame Brady 100% for O'Day and Trumboi (hilarious typo) but he played a part.

If you want to die on the Brady Anderson Hill, I think you'll be pretty lonely up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fact that Wright has an ST invite is a joke.

I don't blame Brady 100% for O'Day and Trumboi (hilarious typo) but he played a part.

If you want to die on the Brady Anderson Hill, I think you'll be pretty lonely up there.

🎵🎵I lost my skill...on Brady Anderson hill🎵🎵

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Wright and Hart are on the bubble and if free agent(s) fall through the cracks the O's may DFA either or both of them to add a catcher or right fielder to the team in ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The fact that Wright has an ST invite is a joke.

I don't blame Brady 100% for O'Day and Trumboi (hilarious typo) but he played a part.

If you want to die on the Brady Anderson Hill, I think you'll be pretty lonely up there.

That Ken Rosenthal article, which I read at the time it came out, had more details about Brady’s role in the Wright situation than I had remembered.     I knew Brady was a supporter and had some views contrary to the pitching coaches but hadn’t recalled the degree of his interference in that case.   

It’s obvious that the new administration can’t let Brady just do whatever he wants.    I’m still comfortable letting Elias decide if and to what extent he wants to keep Brady involved, so long as it’s Elias’ decision, not something dictated from above.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I mean let's just look at Brady's recent track record. 

1) He was tasked with negotiating contracts for free agents pitchers before the 2018. He signed Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner who collectively had a collective 5.095 era in 2018. He also gave both pitchers multi-year deals (Cobb - 4 years and Cashner - 2 years) when other comparable pitchers, like Lance Lynn, were only being given single year contracts.

2) He was tasked with signing the high profile international prospects after Duquette was let go in the fall of 2018. He failed to sign any of the top three prospects, even though the Orioles had the most money to spend (at the time).

And this doesn't even take into account all the other things that we expect he's been involved in over the years. But based on the fancy title they gave him it's abundantly clear that he's definitely been doing more than strength and conditioning over the last five years. And before we start the old "we don't know what he's been responsible for" argument that's really the crux of the problem with Brady and his role with the organization. Over the years the Orioles' GMs and managers have been held accountable for trades, acquisitions, and their overall record, but Brady hasn't even though we suspect he's had a significant role in all of these areas. So while everyone else has to deal with the scrutiny of the fans and media Brady gets patted on the head by Uncle Peter. Does that seem fair to you? Honestly a small part of me actually hoped they did name him the GM because then he would have finally had to answer to someone other than Peter Angelos. 

So you flame Brady for being "Tasked" to get items done that management/ownership wanted???

Brady didn't give crap away. He brokered a contract between the team, the team lawyers and the agent, player lawyer and player. You do not know what his guidelines was, my own opinion was, the deal must have been within the confines of those parameters, or they wouldnt have signed.

Brady was not the point for the chaos in Miami, that was a guy that is no longer with the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's so hard about giving Brady Anderson a clear and recognized place in the organizational hierarchy and an explicit mandate known to all who would cross his path during the course of a normal business day?  What is inherently more effective about the ambiguity that surrounds him?  

"Because we don't know what went on..." supports an argument about fairness, but who should care if Brady Anderson is being treated fairly in a situation that nobody can clearly identify?  The discussion ought to be about whether or not he adds value, and if you can't tell after several years, there's your answer.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you flame Brady for being "Tasked" to get items done that management/ownership wanted???

Brady didn't give crap away. He brokered a contract between the team, the team lawyers and the agent, player lawyer and player. You do not know what his guidelines was, my own opinion was, the deal must have been within the confines of those parameters, or they wouldnt have signed.

Brady was not the point for the chaos in Miami, that was a guy that is no longer with the team.

Brady's to blame for everything. Global warming...the government shutdown...the crime rate in Baltimore, etc. It all falls on his well sculpted shoulders.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That Ken Rosenthal article, which I read at the time it came out, had more details about Brady’s role in the Wright situation than I had remembered.     I knew Brady was a supporter and had some views contrary to the pitching coaches but hadn’t recalled the degree of his interference in that case. 

Wright is 100% here because of Brady.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Wright is 100% here because of Brady.

 

Maybe.   Elias has needed 40-man roster space twice in the last few weeks, and kept Wright both times.   My guess is there will be several more acquisitions before training camp opens.    If Wright survives those, I doubt it’ll be because of Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...