Jump to content
tntoriole

Elias' Brady comments (Connolly article)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I agree, what I said about Elias is an assumption. But if Brady is kept beyond his contract expiring, it's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

If Brady is such a great baseball mind, why wasn't he named GM? Why haven't other teams been interested? Brady has shown he will not only meddle in executive matters, but go over coaches advice and meddle in player development. 

I just don't see any value in keeping someone like that.

I can think of several other reasons things could happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

My point is, Brady has done no more to prove his worth than the ones who have already been let go. Other Oriole greats have been in executive positions, and have been fired. 

So I don't believe it's out of respect he's still around. Maybe there is something to the timing of his contract.

I think this is fair.  Brady has received credit and blame for things that have happened and of course one of the frequent criticisms is that he has been accountable to no one.  As you point out, others who have also proven to have worth and blame are gone.  I have said I believe Brady will also go.  I am just not clamoring for it to happen today.  Regardless, I imagine Brady has immediate value in simply sharing his opinions...why would Elias not at least gather that information.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks loved the Trumbo deal.

I loved the trade of a third string catcher for Trumbo.  I thought resigning him was horrendous.  Sort of like trading for Miller and then resigning O'Day.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think this is fair.  Brady has received credit and blame for things that have happened and of course one of the frequent criticisms is that he has been accountable to no one.  As you point out, others who have also proven to have worth and blame are gone.  I have said I believe Brady will also go.  I am just not clamoring for it to happen today.  Regardless, I imagine Brady has immediate value in simply sharing his opinions...why would Elias not at least gather that information.

I loved the trade of a third string catcher for Trumbo.  I thought resigning him was horrendous.  Sort of like trading for Miller and then resigning O'Day.

Your point is fair, and I respect it  Bit for me, Graham was competent enough to be named interim GM. I assume he would have offered some valuable information also. Graham represented the Orioles at the GM meetings, but Brady wasn't ithere.

Again, the timing of expiring contracts may be impacting decisions. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, weams said:

I can think of several other reasons things could happen. 

Only time will tell my friend. I appreciate Brady as a loyal Oriole and his love for the franchise. I'm sure he feels he owes alot to them. They gave him his shot to be an everyday major leaguer.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Your point is fair, and I respect it  Bit for me, Graham was competent enough to be named interim GM. I assume he would have offered some valuable information also. Graham represented the Orioles at the GM meetings, but Brady wasn't ithere.

Again, the timing of expiring contracts may be impacting decisions. 

I think you are correct that timing may well be a factor.  It may also be that he has already spent his time with Graham and in letting him know he was moving on, was simply giving him time to find something else.  It's not an ideal time to be displaced, but the winter meetings will give Graham that chance.  To me, if Brady really wants to be a GM....and I think he may...I think working somewhere else would be the best career move.  Who knows...he could still come back and be the new GM for the Orioles after Elias and his 3 WS rings are relocated to rebuilding the Yankees.  LOL.

 

Again, I think Brady should go, but I am not concerned that Elias has to keep him, so for me....personally, I am more apt to be patient on this topic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And that's as much of an opinion as what I said.

What's not to like about keeping Brady. He's a smart guy. So smart, he was in favor of giving O'day a contract so bad, the Orioles had to give away Gausman for less value, just to get rid of it 

He was part of giving Mark Trumbo a deal that was such a mistake, it was obvious before the ink on the contract dried.

I suspect he was on favor of a Davis deal if not a part of it.

Dan Duquette was reportedly against all three of those deals. Yet he's unemployed. I liked Brady as a player. Brady the executive is part of why the Orioles are now in rebuild mode.

Plus we lost a quality pitching coach and bullpen coach because they weren't smart as Brady on how to work with Mike Wright.

And I am sure the reason we had see Reimold misplay ball's in left all those years was because of Brady being the smartest guy in the room.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

My point is, Brady has done no more to prove his worth than the ones who have already been let go. Other Oriole greats have been in executive positions, and have been fired. 

So I don't believe it's out of respect he's still around. Maybe there is something to the timing of his contract.

I just hope that Elias wasn't "encouraged" to keep Brady. I'd like to think he wouldn't have taken the position if they didn't promise him full autonomy, but there's a small seed of doubt in my mind that worries me. Because I can't think of a single good reason why Elias would willingly keep him on. As you mentioned in another post everyone else who had a hand in putting this franchise in its current state is gone...except Brady. It just doesn't make sense. And you can also add botching the recent international signings to your list. Can't blame Duquette for that one because he was already gone. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Plus we lost a quality pitching coach and bullpen coach because they weren't smart as Brady on how to work with Mike Wright.

And I am sure the reason we had see Reimold misplay ball's in left all those years was because of Brady being the smartest guy in the room.

 

So, and I am beating a dead horse I know.  But why look back?  We are in a rebuild.  It comes at the close of a damn fine stretch of baseball for Oriole fans.  Some of whom have never really experienced success.  Coulda woulda shoulda....eh.  It's done.  I thought we had a good GM, a good coach and an owner who was willing to spend after years and years of literally not thinking any of those three things were true.  Now, it's clear at the end of the run that those three were all in, but not all in unison.  So we are moving on and we are doing it in a fashion that many here have dreamed of for a very very long time.  When I was a child, the Orioles were without question one of the most successful and well run franchises in sports.

Peter Angelos at times hurt the Orioles because he was convinced often times he was the smartest person in the room.  Brady Anderson for his good points and bad, is talked about as being someone who sees himself as the smartest person in the room.  Buck liked to play dumb but clearly knew he was smarter than many.  I mean, what does it take to get this franchise back to being a leading franchise?

I mean it's not rocket science....wait a minute.  Didn't we just make a former NASA scientist our Assistant GM?  I'm convinced, no one, not the Owners, not the manager, hell not even our new GM is ever going to be the smartest in the room again.  Maybe it is that realization that has been lacking all along.  The Orioles have made mistakes but those mistakes got us to a point where no one doubted a rebuild.  So let's rebuild.  Let's look forward.  It's gonna take awhile.  We know the mistakes that have been made.  We are all here every day. We may see em in different views but we see em.  

I wanna focus on the new manager, the new coaches, the investment in personnel for analytics and international scouting.  If we are gonna talk about the past, let's talk about the good stuff.

Brooks, Palmer, Eddie are on board.  Earl is looking down saying he'd like to teach those whipper snappers a thing or two about analytics.  And if I am absolutely forced to dream about the recent past.  It's not gonna be about Brady, or Schoop or Tillman.  If I gotta dream, and I wanna look forward, I see Manny.  I can't help it.

Sorry for the rambling post, but in three years, no one here is going to be talking about Mike Wright and Brady Anderson.  By then there should be much more exciting and important things to look forward to....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enough about Brady's "love of the franchise" as some reason to keep him in the front office.  I would rather have a guy that hates the franchise, but makes the best baseball decisions and makes us a winner.   Has he been doing this for free?  Does he not get a salary as Vice President?  

Good grief.    I love the franchise as does everybody on this board, but I don't see that as a reason to make me and pay me to be a Vice President of the team.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I loved the trade of a third string catcher for Trumbo.  I thought resigning him was horrendous.  Sort of like trading for Miller and then resigning O'Day.

I loved the Trumbo trade when I thought it meant they were going to let Davis walk.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Obviously...he can keep him if he wishes.  I would like to know if this was a quid pro quo that was discussed in the hiring interview.  Because, if it is just baseball front office talent or knowledge that keeps someone in a job, then how do you fire Dan, Buck, Brian Graham, Gary Rajisch, etc. etc. but keep Brady Anderson?  I mean does he have such above and beyond, special ability that ONLY he can bring it to the organization?  Was he not part of this disaster area over the last two years? No, if he is kept, it is because John and Louis made it clear that he is ownership’s guy and is to be kept on no matter what.  They won’t say it that way and it will never be acknowledged, but I am not buying that Brady has more front office skills and talent than all the guys who have been let go already. 

If he keeps him, I will  wait for the first controversial signing or choice made by Elias and then somehow reports of unnamed sources to national writers of how different ideas are being floated around the Warehouse and to ownership.  Which will be a setback, big time.  Why risk it?  Make a clean break, thank him for his service and move on. 

I kinda said it before.  But we need to accept - at least the possibility- that Brady isn't as bad as we think he is.  If Elias sees value...well, maybe there's value.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I kinda said it before.  But we need to accept - at least the possibility- that Brady isn't as bad as we think he is.  If Elias sees value...well, maybe there's value.  

Folks say things like Brady wanted Trumbo back.

I never recall seeing that.  I remember Brady being part of the negotiations to bring Trumbo back.

The issue I have with Brady isn't that he's incompetent, it is that I am worried he doesn't follow the chain of command and will back channel Elias.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

And that's as much of an opinion as what I said.

What's not to like about keeping Brady. He's a smart guy. So smart, he was in favor of giving O'day a contract so bad, the Orioles had to give away Gausman for less value, just to get rid of it 

He was part of giving Mark Trumbo a deal that was such a mistake, it was obvious before the ink on the contract dried.

I suspect he was on favor of a Davis deal if not a part of it.

Dan Duquette was reportedly against all three of those deals. Yet he's unemployed. I liked Brady as a player. Brady the executive is part of why the Orioles are now in rebuild mode.

We all know the bad stuff Brady has done.   Maybe we don't know the good stuff.

For example, he might be THAT GUY who runs the office soda and snack mess in the warehouse.   On his own time, goes to Costco and gets cases and cases of soda, boxes of those little cheese cracker and peanut butter sandwiches, and the Reeses Peanut Butter cups and packets of 6 Oreo cookies.   Keeps the fridge stocked, honors special requests like Diet Mr. Pibb or dark chocolate Milky Way bars.   And collects all the change and cashes it at the bank.

Every office needs THAT GUY.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We all know the bad stuff Brady has done.   Maybe we don't know the good stuff.

For example, he might be THAT GUY who runs the office soda and snack mess in the warehouse.   On his own time, goes to Costco and gets cases and cases of soda, boxes of those little cheese cracker and peanut butter sandwiches, and the Reeses Peanut Butter cups and packets of 6 Oreo cookies.   Keeps the fridge stocked, honors special requests like Diet Mr. Pibb or dark chocolate Milky Way bars.   And collects all the change and cashes it at the bank.

Every office needs THAT GUY.

I don't see Brady supplying junk food, he'd probably have the cabinet full of protein bars and coconut water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...