oriolediehard

Brewers non-tender Schoop.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yes he had a down year, but lets not be ridiculous. Schoop is definitely a better player than Nunez. Small sample sizes from no names prospects don't carry much weight with me. 

No name prospect? Dunno. He was a pretty well-regarded international signing. No. 20 prospect for the A's in 2017. Plenty of stuff out there about his talent level and power potential. I think folks sleep on this guy a little bit, but that's just me. Agree the sample is small, though. But I'm looking forward to seeing him for a full season. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I am happy Schoop is not on the team.  He had one good season in his career. I expect him to be another Chris Davis.  Except his OBP was much lower than Davis was.  People want him signed and then there will be 200 page thread about how he should retire to save the team money. It's as if you have learned nothing after Davis and Trumbo. 

Sorry, I disagree with you.

a 2.4 is nothing to sneeze about.

1.3 and 1.4 are decent for a rookie MLBer.

11 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is he though? In his first extended look at the ML level last season, Nunez hit 8 bombs and got on base at .322 in 261 PA at age 24. Good for 1.2 WAR after coming to Baltimore. Small sample, but he hung in there pretty well. Certainly capable of being a 20-hr guy. 

Schoop is a more impact player, perhaps, definitely a higher ceiling. But he only had an OBP remotely close when he had his career year in 2017. I don't know that you can say Schoop would be a better 3B than Nunez. We haven't seen enough of Schoop at 3B. 

Schoop has the arm strength  and accurate to play 3B.   His range should play there.   He has better power than Nunez.    Nunez gets the yips at times throwing at 3B.  His range is only average to below average.    He may get better.  He is only 25.  But I think Schoop has a higher ceiling.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Schoop has the arm strength  and accurate to play 3B.   His range should play there.   He has better power than Nunez.    Nunez gets the yips at times throwing at 3B.  His range is only average to below average.    He may get better.  He is only 25.  But I think Schoop has a higher ceiling.

Power isn't everything, as we all know too well around here. When Schoop is a complete hitter he's incredible. Remains to be seen if that was a fluke year. Disagree about the yips. Otherwise, no real arguments. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If Schoop fell to the O's he should play 3B not 2B.

If whoever would play 2B in that scenario is better than Nunez at 3B then I say sure, why not? I’d rather see what Nunez can bring over an entire season though. What I really want to see is Schoop signed and then traded to the Brewers at the deadline for more than what he’s worth lol

The only way Schoop fits is if he can play 3B.  I'd keep Villar at 2B and get an all-glove, no bat guy for SS, be it a cheap FA, Rule 5, whatever.  If Schoop can play 3B adequately, which I think is probable but definitely not certain, I'd be good on a 1yr "prove it" deal for cheap money (<$5M).  Otherwise, move forward and wish him well.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Schoop has looked bad at 3B in limited time. I have to think if he could play 3B, we would have done Schoop 3B, Machado SS, and Beckham 2B. If Schoop could have played 3B all along, Buck and Dan should have been fired a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Schoop has looked bad at 3B in limited time. I have to think if he could play 3B, we would have done Schoop 3B, Machado SS, and Beckham 2B. If Schoop could have played 3B all along, Buck and Dan should have been fired a long time ago.

Jon would have gotten his UA tights in a bunch if demoted to 3b, IMHO.  Also losing the keystone bond with his bud.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, interloper said:

No name prospect? Dunno. He was a pretty well-regarded international signing. No. 20 prospect for the A's in 2017. Plenty of stuff out there about his talent level and power potential. I think folks sleep on this guy a little bit, but that's just me. Agree the sample is small, though. But I'm looking forward to seeing him for a full season. 

I can see both sides of the argument. I'm not a Schoop fan either I just think the odds of him being better than Nunez next year are pretty good. Nunez's defense has also been a question mark throughout his career right? To the point where the didn't know if he'd stick at 3B or need to be move to 1B or the OF? Either way he's younger than I thought he was so I have no problem giving him some rope this season. The teams needs to finish the season with a better idea of which prospects will stick and which won't and the only way to do that is to play them. 

I have no problem with the team bringing Schoop back pennies on the dollar.  He won't be blocking anyone next season if I am correct.  Hopefully he won't get upset if he plays well and the team flips him again.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Well, Buck and especially Dan should have been fired a long time ago. For sure. Schoop has the tools to be a very good third baseman imo. Is that a move I think the O's should make? Maybe not, his K rate and inconsistent offense is the biggest concern to me. I think Nunez is pretty interesting, I think I may prefer to go the Nunez route.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sorry, I disagree with you.

a 2.4 is nothing to sneeze about.

1.3 and 1.4 are decent for a rookie MLBer.

Nunez had 1.3 WAR in 60 games last season and Villar had 2.7 WAR.  I would rather roll with them.  We could use a catcher and a Shortstop.  That is what we should be discussing.