Sign in to follow this  
Dark Helmet

Matt Wieters

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There’s no doubt he’s past his prime.     That’s not a matter of opinion, it’s a matter of fact.    I still like the guy.     My guess is he earns $1.5-2 mm somewhere to be a backup.    

I imagine he will. 

49 minutes ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

What if we wake up one day to find out we've signed Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Schoop, Britton and Machado? To be clear, I'm not advocating for this, or even saying it's possible. It would just be a bizarre turn of events to say the least.

Then that means Elias really doesn’t have final say on roster moves.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s no doubt he’s past his prime.     That’s not a matter of opinion, it’s a matter of fact.    I still like the guy.     My guess is he earns $1.5-2 mm somewhere to be a backup.    

For that kind of money? Hell yes, I would bring him back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

What if we wake up one day to find out we've signed Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Schoop, Britton and Machado? To be clear, I'm not advocating for this, or even saying it's possible. It would just be a bizarre turn of events to say the least.

Lol I actually kinda hope we sign Wieters, Kakes, Jones and Schoop to cheap deals. We all agree that we're probably gonna suck for a while, why not have a reunion tour? If the price is right, I think it would be a blast. OF might be a bit crowded though, but as long as its a 1-year deal...can't hurt to help Elias get another good draft pick! 

Just now, 99ct said:

Lol I actually kinda hope we sign Wieters, Kakes, Jones and Schoop to cheap deals. We all agree that we're probably gonna suck for a while, why not have a reunion tour? If the price is right, I think it would be a blast. OF might be a bit crowded though, but as long as its a 1-year deal...can't hurt to help Elias get another good draft pick! 

Only if we add Raffy will I approve of this strategy.  :)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Only if we add Raffy will I approve of this strategy.  :)

...and Brady as a player coach? I'm also picturing the phone ringing in the MASN studio during the game and Dempsey rushing to put on his gear. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

No. He is past his prime. IMO 

I don't anyone would argue that.  More of mentor to the younger players on the team.   

This thread reminds me that one of my favorite things about Elias is that he has no ties to our past, including ex-Orioles.  I love all those guys, but that doesn't mean I want to resign them in 2019.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

This thread reminds me that one of my favorite things about Elias is that he has no ties to our past, including ex-Orioles.  I love all those guys, but that doesn't mean I want to resign them in 2019.  

Yes and when you read between the lines, I feel like Roch, etc. want to keep the ties to the past by rehiring these guys.  What I always admired about the big boys was their ability to just cast familiar players to the wind (Damon, Nomar, Ellsbury, etc.) and move on down the road with no guilt and no fan (perceived) backlash.  Using stats as a guide, they have reasons for these decisions.  CD will be a big test if he does not produce.  @Can of Corn will be reminding us, I am sure, right after Opening Day and on ...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Yes and when you read between the lines, I feel like Roch, etc. want to keep the ties to the past by rehiring these guys.  What I always admired about the big boys was their ability to just cast familiar players to the wind (Damon, Nomar, Ellsbury, etc.) and move on down the road with no guilt and no fan (perceived) backlash.  Using stats as a guide, they have reasons for these decisions.  CD will be a big test if he does not produce.  @Can of Corn will be reminding us, I am sure, right after Opening Day and on ...

The first strike out people will be saying Davis needs to go.  

Of course, that will come around the first or second inning on March 28.  

Just now, Dipper9 said:

The first strike out people will be saying Davis needs to go.  

Of course, that will come around the first or second inning on March 28.  

@Can of Corn says that he will say the team lied if CD makes it to Opening Day without producing (SSS) during Spring preps.  

This seems like a good place to remind people of an obscure stat about Wieters’ time in DC:

In 2017, the Nats were 78-35 (.690) when Wieters started, 19-30 (.388) when he didn’t.   

In 2018, the Nats were 39-25 (.609) when Wieters started, 43-55 (.439) when he didn’t.    

I’m not claiming direct causation here, and part of the issue was that the other Nats catchers were atrocious, rather than Wieters being anything special.    Yet it’s interesting that the Nats did so much better when Wieters was behind the plate. 

Meanwhile, they’ve gone and gotten both Yan Gomes and Kurt Suzuki to share the catching duties in 2019.    So the Nats clearly weren’t too impressed with the “Wieters effect.”

I would need to know the answers to the follow questions before I'd consider it:

1. How is he at calling a game? I know he had a good reputation here in the past, but don't know about recently.

2. How is he at controlling the running game and framing?

3. How much will he cost?

Basically, I want an excellent defensive catcher that will help nurture our young pitching and mentor Wynns, Sisco, etc for as little as possible. I don't care about the offense at all.