Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

What was the most exciting offseason move to you?

The Glenn Davis trade? It turned out bad but I was really excited at the time.

Perhaps the Orioles should avoid players with that last name.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You beat me to it.  Thought Davis was going to be a monster when he got out of the Astrodome.

Frank Robinson was big, but I was only 8.....I remember being happy with the trade in 1974 for Ken Singleton and Mike Torrez....even though Dave McNally was a favorite, I knew he was most likely done as a star for us...

And the big 10 player midseason trade with the Yankees in June of 1976 was mind boggling...I remember thinking...well, there goes Holtzman, we had already lost Reggie...and those two guys had cost us Don Baylor in a trade...so I was thinking, man, I really pray these guys turn into something... McGregor, Tippy, Dempsey...

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Man, you guys are old.  😉 I was 4 when the Frank trade went down. Having said that, I realize the large majority of posters here weren't yet born.

Postseasons here are largely non-consequential, so there's not much to select from.  I'll go with December 21, 1995 when the Orioles signed Roberto Alomar.   That's also the offseason Davey Johnson was hired to manage.

Robbie for me too. I was a fan since I was a kid but never followed that close til the mid 90's. Was already impressed with Robbie, even if he was a hated Blue Jay. Excellent defender and a damn good hitter - always killed us. Was ecstatic when we signed him.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Frank Robinson was big, but I was only 8.....I remember being happy with the trade in 1974 for Ken Singleton and Mike Torrez....even though Dave McNally was a favorite, I knew he was most likely done as a star for us...

And the big 10 player midseason trade with the Yankees in June of 1976 was mind boggling...I remember thinking...well, there goes Holtzman, we had already lost Reggie...and those two guys had cost us Don Baylor in a trade...so I was thinking, man, I really pray these guys turn into something... McGregor, Tippy, Dempsey...

Right... only took seven years for that trio to bring us a WS. Patience!*

(Let's see, 2025: Kremer, Diaz, Tate, Encarnacion, Carmona, Ortiz, Bannon...)

* Gotta give them credit for coming close in '77, '79, '80, and '82, though!

6 hours ago, NCRaven said:

You beat me to it.  Thought Davis was going to be a monster when he got out of the Astrodome.

That deal excited me too when it happened. Oof.

——-

"I don't know much about the American League but I understand [Memorial Stadium]is a good hitter's park and that it's easier to hit home runs in the American League," Davis said.

Finley was the key player in the trade for the Astros, who plan to make him their regular center fielder. A left-handed hitter, Finley hit .256 and stole 22 bases in 142 games for the Orioles.

Harnisch was 11-11 with a 4.34 earned-run average, and Schilling was 1-2 with three saves and a 2.54 ERA in 35 games.

——-

Baltimore Evening Sun article, January 11th, 1991

9 hours ago, now said:

Of course F.Robby, hands down.

Glenn Davis, I'm sorry to say, had me projecting 50 dingers in Balt. Sort of like Earl Williams coming off 33 HRs in the NL. (Sigh).

After Frank, I would go with Alomar, especially following his postseason success with Toronto--the only team I could follow on TV in those days from my home in the BC wilderness. :)

For that matter, Jimmy Key was big too.

P.S. Reggie Jackson, anyone?

Trading for Reggie was the deal that I was excited about. I thought he'd come in here and put us over the top. 

• Upvote 1

The Erik Bedard trade. Most of the exciting off season acquisitions occurred before I was really a fan. I remember the Vlad Guerrero and Derrek Lee off season with MacPhail, lol. 

And to be honest, I was excited about Alex Cobb at the time and the chance to "get the band back together" for one more run. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 1

Nelson Cruz was the one that got me PUMPED. Wei Yin Chen also got me pumped. Other than that, I was excited about Cobb and Cashner. Weary about Davis and liked the move at the time, but I wanted Cespedes BADLY that offseason

When I was a little less than half of my age now we went on field trips for good grades at the end of the years in elementary school. We would all sign each other’s shirts and write stuff, I still remember asking my parents for some money to get a souvenir and a ballpark hotdog... that was the life. I was more worried about the goodbyeee than the game. Too young to really be INTO sports like I am now. It was more about the experience, then it peaked my interest. I saw all the banners from the school bus, the perfect setting, the smell of downtown Baltimore. Banners of Sammy Sosa, tickets with Sammy Sosa on them, Flags With Sammy Sosa on them... you get it, but most importantly.. the Sammy Sosa jerseys. I had to have at least have the shirt jersey, he was the hype. It led me into Orioles history and Tejada was important then too. That led to Brian Roberts and so on. All thanks to Sammy Sosa and his one miserable season in Baltimore. :)

Side note; I also met and shook Michael Phelps hand on the way into school once as we were going to watch him train. 

Edited by Orange in my Veins

12 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I hated the Glenn Davis trade the day it happened.  Was so angry they traded a young center fielder and two quality young pitchers for a First Baseman who only hit 22 home runs and .251 average the year before.  I thought that was terrible production for a first baseman and you should never trade quality pitchers and centerfielders for a first baseman. 

• Upvote 1