Sign in to follow this  
Natty

Comprehensive list of free agents the Orioles are going after

10 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Who on the current 40 man would be a better glove at SS than a healthy J.J.?

While I agree on principle that JJ had a superior glove than anyone on our current roster, he hasn't been a "healthy"  JJ since 2014.  I'm willing to go back to the days of a defense first shortstop because it helps the pitching, but I don't believe Hardy is the answer anymore.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

While I agree on principle that JJ had a superior glove than anyone on our current roster, he hasn't been a "healthy"  JJ since 2014.  I'm willing to go back to the days of a defense first shortstop because it helps the pitching, but I don't believe Hardy is the answer anymore.

Iglesias is the answer but if they don't want to spend on hIm who?

On 12/8/2018 at 11:13 AM, El Gordo said:

Iglesias is the answer but if they don't want to spend on hIm who?

Adeiny Hechavarria?

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Adeiny Hechavarria?

Career UZR/150: Hechavarria 2.9;  Iglesias 9.9  But still better than Beckham's -4. Question is how cheap would he be? He made  5.9 M last year.

Edited by El Gordo

On 12/7/2018 at 12:48 PM, Natty said:

I just have a feeling that ownership has told Elias to go cheap. Make a team full of AAA ballplayers. They want  to save money because of the Davis contract fiasco.

Is there any justification for signing free agents on a team that's going to have a baseline of maybe 60 wins?  This may be simplistic, but I'd pour every excess dollar into young player development and acquisition.  If you have no shortstops you can find one for $500k.

We've had a 47-win season.  There's no saving face, avoiding embarrassment.  Forget the wins and losses.  Set up the team for 2021 or 22. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Career UZR/150: Hechavarria 2.9;  Iglesias 9.9  But still better than Beckham's -4. Question is how cheap would he be? He made  5.9 M last year.

No question Iglesias is the better option, just offering up a name for the if they don't want to spend on him question. I don't think Hechivarria gets anywhere near his 5.9M figure. I don't know if he finds a starting spot anywhere outside of Baltimore. I think most of any competition for him would be as a utility infielder and that probably caps his overall value. He'll come in cheaper than Iglesias, but we'll see if that's cheap enough.

53 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

No question Iglesias is the better option, just offering up a name for the if they don't want to spend on him question. I don't think Hechivarria gets anywhere near his 5.9M figure. I don't know if he finds a starting spot anywhere outside of Baltimore. I think most of any competition for him would be as a utility infielder and that probably caps his overall value. He'll come in cheaper than Iglesias, but we'll see if that's cheap enough.

That projection seems high to me too. Especially considering Schoop just signed for $6M and change. My money's still on them signing Alcides Escobar to a one year deal to play SS> 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

That projection seems high to me too. Especially considering Schoop just signed for $6M and change. My money's still on them signing Alcides Escobar to a one year deal to play SS> 

Schoop signed for $7.5 mm plus incentives.    

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Still seems high. I think  Hechavarria will be more in the $2-3M range. 

Seems high to me, too.   I think you’re in the ballpark.   

18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Still seems high. I think  Hechavarria will be more in the $2-3M range. 

Yeah. I agree. The $5.9M figure was what El Gordo quoted his last year's salary to be. My argument was he wouldn't get anywhere  close to that.

I am all for the patience route at this point. Grenier is going to be a very good defensive SS as soon as they can get his bat to meh level. Think Bordick.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

UZR/150 last 3 years: ,9, -0.7, -2.6 Not much of a glove of late.