Frobby

What was the highest level of baseball that you played?

What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What is the highest level of baseball at which you played?

• Professional
    • D-1 college
    • D-2/3 college or juco
    • High school team
    • Non-academic uniform team while in high school
    • Uniform team before high school
    • T-shirt League
    • Never played organized baseball

13 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I agree that my Usain Bolt comparison was probably not proper. But, do you really think that only 800 of the almost 4 billion dudes on Earth could play pro baseball? The percentage of US boys who even attempt to play baseball in a meaningful way is lower than it has been in probably 120 or more years. That's ultimately why they scout Venezuela and the like. Only a tiny, tiny fraction of the population is sampled. 

Yeah, I do agree that there are obviously more people out there (and especially in countries that don't play baseball) who potentially have the physical and mental abilities to play at a high level.  But you could say that about any sport, or occupation for that matter.  It doesn't change the fact that hitting a baseball is still probably the most difficult task in any sport.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for the story, Tony!    The Royals’ loss is our gain!

Thanks. I wrote up the longer story in a Tony's take. I was bored and with not much going on with Orioles news, I figured why not write a bit?

Besides the Army-Navy game has been pretty boring so far!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks. I wrote up the longer story in a Tony's take. I was bored and with not much going on with Orioles news, I figured why not write a bit?

Besides the Army-Navy game has been pretty boring so far!

So many interesting stories here.  And I’ve been amazed at how many of the regular posters here played at a pretty serious level, and often gave it up for kind of random reasons (or due to injury).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So many interesting stories here.  And I’ve been amazed at how many of the regular posters here played at a pretty serious level, and often gave it up for kind of random reasons (or due to injury).

There really are. It also shows why many of us have such a love of the game and why we are so passionate about discussing the Orioles.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Snutchy said:

Bonus picture of my first year in senior league. Bottom row, second from the left. We went 16-0. 

Edit: my dad is top left. He was the assistant manager that year. I'll give that man credit where it's due - he made sure that he either coached or managed every baseball and soccer team that I ever played on. Too bad we didn't have a football program, because he would have done that too. No doubt that he plans to do the same for each of his granddaughters. Still calls me every other day to check in on me. He's a pretty good guy.

FB_IMG_1544264794033.jpg

Were you a "dude"?

On 12/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Frobby said:

Honestly, you’re very recognizable in that picture.    You haven’t changed a bit, so long as you have a cap on!

PS -  looks like the pitching was a bit thin on that team...

Does this photo still look like me?  I was also a pitcher of some repute in Babe Ruth League of Baldwin, NY (spelling of name notwithstanding).  btw - the boy also cited in this news article, Ted Ketterer, went on to AAA with the LAD.  He said he played with Ron Cey and others, and if not for malaria issues he contracted in the service, he felt he could have made it.

Oddly, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook a few years ago.

964256_525422794195010_368954029_o.jpg?_

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

Right thru HS three year starter 1st base.

Played college football and basketball

Wow, did you also date the head cheerleader?

How did you choose the other two sports over baseball in college?   Just scheduling issues, or were you just better in the other two?  Even juggling football and basketball would be pretty draining.

21 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Does this photo still look like me?  I was also a pitcher of some repute in Babe Ruth League of Baldwin, NY (spelling of name notwithstanding).  btw - the boy also cited in this news article, Ted Ketterer, went on to AAA with the LAD.  He said he played with Ron Cey and others and if not for malaria issues he contracted in the service, he felt he could have made it.

Oddly, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook a few years ago.

964256_525422794195010_368954029_o.jpg?_

Yeah, I’d say that still looks like you, with a bit fleshier face.    Your career was well-chronicled!

8th grade.  Quit when I couldn’t hit anymore. Peaked in 6th grade when I made all stars mostly for my pitching. Also played outfield and the corners. Only position I never played was catcher. 

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

FYI, the poll had been locked but has now been unlocked for anyone who wants to go back to it.

Thanks for the heads up.