Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Who is the next O's player to be traded for a prospect and when?

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't see any major trades coming before the season.  What's the rush?

Like others have said, let these guys build some value. 

Cobb, Bundy, and Givens in particular are poised for better seasons than in 18.  So they can be moved around the deadline.  By then, you could also have prospects like Kremer, Akin, and Lowther ready to step in the rotation.  We need bodies to start the season. 

The rush is to trade Bleier after two good seasons before he has a bad one and his value drops.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The rush is to trade Bleier after two good seasons before he has a bad one and his value drops.

I think the injury took care that.

He's going to have to prove himself again before anything of worth is surrendered for him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's going to have to prove himself again before anything of worth is surrendered for him.

Agreed.  Trading our veterans now would all be selling low (Bleier, Givens, Bundy, Cashner, Cobb). We don't really have any other choice but to hold onto them and hope they have good seasons and can bring back some decent prospects later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Otter said:

Agreed.  Trading our veterans now would all be selling low (Bleier, Givens, Bundy, Cashner, Cobb). We don't really have any other choice but to hold onto them and hope they have good seasons and can bring back some decent prospects later.

This is about where I am.  Honestly, I don't see any of those guys bringing back any system-changing prospects.  

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

While the O's may clear spots on the 40 man roster by trading players like Wright, Susac and Hart sometime during the off season for players to be named later or cash, they are not likely to bring  back a prospect that will help the O's.   The next player I think will be traded that brings back a decent prospect is Richard Bleier during Spring Training.

All Bleier has to do in ST is show he is healthy.  His past two years in the majors has shown he can be a valuable reliever.   The O's will be able to get a decent prospect in return.   Though Bleier will still be cheap this coming season, he will turn 32  on April 16th.   He is too old to help with the O's next playoff run.  He may in the next season or two begin to decline, so now is the time to sell - as soon as he is healthy.

Players like Villar, Givens, Trumbo, and Cashner are all coming off poor seasons that have limited the return that the O's can get for them.   Giving them the 1st half of the season to regain some value will hopefully help their return at the deadline.   

So Bleier is my choice for the next player to be traded that brings a decent prospect in return.  

Who do you think is next?

IMO Villar had a good season2.7 WAR in 2018. I think they could get a nice haul for him. At 27 he may be young enough to lead the way on the rebuild. He's controlled through 2021 Id like to see him get back to his 2016 .370 OBP.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is about where I am.  Honestly, I don't see any of those guys bringing back any system-changing prospects.  

They wouldn't do that even after bounceback seasons. They simply aren't good enough. Our future stars will come from our first round picks and international signings. Fortunately, we have a pretty good stock of players who can be average major leaguers. Maybe Hall and Rodriguez can be more than that.

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

IMO Villar had a good season2.7 WAR in 2018. I think they could get a nice haul for him. At 27 he may be young enough to lead the way on the rebuild. He's controlled through 2021 Id like to see him get back to his 2016 .370 OBP.

I could see Villar as a kind of ladder trade. You trade him to a team that wants to win now for their young, inexpensive, future version of Villar.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

What's his value exactly?  He's just another bullpen arm who can eat some innings.  He doesn't blow guys away.  I don't see him being a commodity on the trade market.  Like in the rotation, we need bodies in the bullpen as well. Flip him at the deadline when teams are more likely to be looking for relief help.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, ChuckS said:

What's his value exactly?  He's just another bullpen arm who can eat some innings.  He doesn't blow guys away.  I don't see him being a commodity on the trade market.  Like in the rotation, we need bodies in the bullpen as well. Flip him at the deadline when teams are more likely to be looking for relief help.  

He is left handed, that automatically makes him slightly more value than he would otherwise be.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sir. It is not about system-changing prospects at this point. It is about getting cheap. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly. Everyone with nothing to prove was traded at the deadline. Everyone else is damaged goods in some way. Villar is possibly the only one I can think of that may be at peak value now.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Exactly. Everyone with nothing to prove was traded at the deadline. Everyone else is damaged goods in some way. Villar is possibly the only one I can think of that may be at peak value now.

Villar has nowhere to go but down!

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Villar's value peaked two years ago.