Sign in to follow this  
interloper

O's trade international bonus pool money for SS Drew Jackson

I see this as this guy being on Elias' board and he didn't get a chance to pick him. Also the Orioles have absolutely no infielders. But don't let that stop you from getting frothing mad about international money, if that's your thing. 

• Upvote 3

Would be tough to spend all the pool money at this point, no use crying over spilled milk. Assume this is likely a straight spring training competition, would be tough to carry both Rule 5 middle infielders 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I see this as this guy being on Elias' board and he didn't get a chance to pick him. Also the Orioles have absolutely no infielders. But don't let that stop you from getting frothing mad about international money, if that's your thing. 

Hard to blame Elias for DD mistakes but why did he acquire all this slot money if we weren’t gonna make an effort to spend it? 

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Would be tough to spend all the pool money at this point, no use crying over spilled milk. Assume this is likely a straight spring training competition, would be tough to carry both Rule 5 middle infielders 

Would it? Villar at 2B, Martin at SS, Jackson UTIL IF. 

Agree about not crying over spilt milk.

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Hard to blame Elias for DD mistakes but why did he acquire all this slot money if we weren’t gonna make an effort to spend it? 

My guess was that using the slot money was based on the ability to trade Adam Jones.  When that fell through the owners pulled the money. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

May well have been agreed to pre-draft,

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, atomic said:

My guess was that using the slot money was based on the ability to trade Adam Jones.  When that fell through the owners pulled the money. 

Elias has indicated he will be very active, so we'll see. He has to get the people in place first, though.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Would it? Villar at 2B, Martin at SS, Jackson UTIL IF. 

Agree about not crying over spilt milk.

I still expect them to sign a bonafied Major League shortstop, but we will see.

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I still expect them to sign a bonafied Major League shortstop, but we will see.

ME said that he considers Villlar a SS.

1 minute ago, WarehouseChatter said:

Does Jackson have to stay on the major league roster all season (do we follow typical Rule 5 rules even though we acquired him in a trade)?

Yes

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Also: I would MUCH rather use bonus pool money to obtain young guys like this, rather than package it with a young player for an old guy, as we've done in the past.

Difference being that in the past the Orioles weren't going to use the international bonus pool allotment anyway.

• Upvote 1