Jump to content
weams

Orioles select SS Richie Martin with 1st pick of Rule 5 Draft

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Plus...He is a very fast baserunner. 

Minus...He cant even hit ,200, and is only an average fielder despite all the hoopla about him being very good with a glove at SS. 

I think if he was hitting better we would not even notice the average-ness at SS. I think we would say he's holding his own playing SS in the major leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think if he was hitting better we would not even notice the average-ness at SS. I think we would say he's holding his own playing SS in the major leagues. 

Fair enough.    But I had expected him to be a little better defensively based on the scouting reports.   I thought he’d be average to slightly above for a big league starting SS. Instead, he’s a bit below average, and perhaps he’ll improve to average with more big league experience.   But he’s not going to make anyone forget JJ Hardy.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Fair enough.    But I had expected him to be a little better defensively based on the scouting reports.   I thought he’d be average to slightly above for a big league starting SS. Instead, he’s a bit below average, and perhaps he’ll improve to average with more big league experience.   But he’s not going to make anyone forget JJ Hardy.    

The metrics have him as pretty terrible.  SSS, yes.  Low confidence numbers, sure.  I'd like to see what his Statcast or other tracking defensive numbers say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

I don’t see what you could possibly identify in him that would make you take him in the rule 5. He’s not good at anything. 

A guy with a 60 defense from the scouting reports who OPS'd .800 in AA last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

His defense is replaceable & his bat is garbage. 

You're that confident that 130 PAs after making the jump straight from AA is a true read on his long-term ability?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

A guy with a 60 defense from the scouting reports who OPS'd .800 in AA last year.

Luke OH was saying he wouldn't hit in the majors before we picked him. Something about his ground ball rate and lack of power.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, atomic said:

Luke OH was saying he wouldn't hit in the majors before we picked him. Something about his ground ball rate and lack of power.

Yeah it seems Luke kind of nailed this one. I had hope maybe they'd change his swing a little more, although they have definitely changed it some. 

I'm not exactly ready to cast him off entirely though. I've seen some better ABs from him recently that either suggest he's starting to find it OR it's just a decent stretch. 

In his last 10 games over 35 AB, he's batting .228 with a .428 SLG (2 home runs, 2 doubles) and only 8 Ks. That's not GOOD or anything, but it's better than his overall line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah it seems Luke kind of nailed this one. I had hope maybe they'd change his swing a little more, although they have definitely changed it some. 

I'm not exactly ready to cast him off entirely though. I've seen some better ABs from him recently that either suggest he's starting to find it OR it's just a decent stretch. 

In his last 10 games over 35 AB, he's batting .228 with a .428 SLG (2 home runs, 2 doubles) and only 8 Ks. That's not GOOD or anything, but it's better than his overall line. 

Luke said players who profile like him (2:1 GB:FB) are rare in the majors.  I have to think part of the plan here was to get him to change his swing.  If that's true you have to give him more than spring training and 130 PAs to see if it's going to work.  2019 is all about the long game.  The only way a .550 OPS matters right now is if the team is very confident that's where he's going to stay.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Luke said players who profile like him (2:1 GB:FB) are rare in the majors.  I have to think part of the plan here was to get him to change his swing.  If that's true you have to give him more than spring training and 130 PAs to see if it's going to work.  2019 is all about the long game.  The only way a .550 OPS matters right now is if the team is very confident that's where he's going to stay.

Yeah I absolutely agree. There's no reason to cut bait on him just yet unless Elias really feels like he's in some kind of crazy roster crunch. Which, if it comes to that, is bad news for several reasons.

What I'm seeing mostly is that Martin is making better contact. He was striking out a ton early on but seems to have a better foundation at the plate right now to where he's not immediately so overmatched. So I kind of want to see where that goes. Can he just start getting on base a little more? He's a game-changing runner out there (if he can ever keep his helmet on his head). And it seems to me he should be able to slap a few more double around as he gets more comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I absolutely agree. There's no reason to cut bait on him just yet unless Elias really feels like he's in some kind of crazy roster crunch. Which, if it comes to that, is bad news for several reasons.

What I'm seeing mostly is that Martin is making better contact. He was striking out a ton early on but seems to have a better foundation at the plate right now to where he's not immediately so overmatched. So I kind of want to see where that goes. Can he just start getting on base a little more? He's a game-changing runner out there (if he can ever keep his helmet on his head). And it seems to me he should be able to slap a few more double around as he gets more comfortable. 

I'd like to see him in AAA next year so he could get a little development help. It's awful tough to develop a hitter at the major league level. At 24, he's still just a kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd like to see him in AAA next year so he could get a little development help. It's awful tough to develop a hitter at the major league level. At 24, he's still just a kid.

Yeah. I mean just look at Stewart. Absolutely murdering at AAA. Dominating. Comes up and immediately humbled in his first 20-some ABs. Tiny sample, but this ain't easy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The metrics have him as pretty terrible.  SSS, yes.  Low confidence numbers, sure.  I'd like to see what his Statcast or other tracking defensive numbers say.

I don’t think Statcast does infielders, at least in the stats made public.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Statcast does infielders, at least in the stats made public.   

Right, it's only outfielders and catchers from what I can find. But there has to be some kind of tracking done on infielders?  If not, why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd like to see him in AAA next year so he could get a little development help. It's awful tough to develop a hitter at the major league level. At 24, he's still just a kid.

If he's in AAA at 25, then back to the majors at 26... he's done.  The average player peaks at 27, but is 90% of the way there at 25, 26.  Sure,  individual variation, blah, blah....  That's my issue with most Rule 5ers: if the plan is to send you to AAA after you've spent a year OPSing .550 in the majors you're best hope is to be a utility guy or something.  Real prospects are almost never 25 or 26 in AAA, not without some weird backstory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If he's in AAA at 25, then back to the majors at 26... he's done.  The average player peaks at 27, but is 90% of the way there at 25, 26.  Sure,  individual variation, blah, blah....  That's my issue with most Rule 5ers: if the plan is to send you to AAA after you've spent a year OPSing .550 in the majors you're best hope is to be a utility guy or something.  Real prospects are almost never 25 or 26 in AAA, not without some weird backstory.

I don't think they picked him to send him down, but that could be where we are now. He could be a utility guy or minor league depth to be called up in case of injury. He could play pro ball for a while in either of those roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I'm curious how you mean that.  Do you mean folks like Moluntcastle and Diaz and are you talking going all out and bringing up Hall, Rodriguez and Adley?
    • To be fair, they are artificially the worst team.  If they let the best 26 play, they would win more games.
    • And you and yours as well!
    • I would prefer they play a normal 10th  or 11th. Then go to the new rule. For those of you who are diehard fans, I suppose this change is blasphemy, but other sports have changed their rules and it makes it more exciting. 4 on 4 hockey is more exciting than 5 on 5. Shoot outs are exciting. I don't like 4 hour games. I imagine players and managers hate long games. Your observation is like a kid seeing a food and says he doesn't like it before he tastes it. This is the non-season to try it, basically a 60 game exhibition schedule, where all stats are basically meaningless. Even the eventual WS winner have an asterisk. It will nice to see them play. In fact the O's may benefit more than normal...give the kids a chance and long look.
    • The 30 year treasury was around 6% in Feb. 2000, so we can consider that the risk free rate. It looks like high quality long term corporate bonds were around 8%, that’s probably more comparable. So this was probably pretty close to a fair deal. 
    • You’re going to eat those words.    
    • Is it wrong to make a choice that will work out in your favor 99% of the time, and there's no way to tell if this particular choice is the 1%? At 33: Carlos Delgado had a 161 OPS+.  Over his last four years of his career he was worth 4.8 wins. Jack Clark had a 148 OPS+.  Three years later he was done. Derrek Lee had a 146 OPS+.  Two years later he was an Oriole... and done. Pedro Guerrero had a 145 OPS+.  The next season would be his last with average batting numbers. Aubrey Huff had a 142 OPS+.  He never had a 100 again. Lance Berkman had a 140 OPS+. He'd have two more pretty good seasons. John Olerud had a 140 OPS+.  After that he played 214 games with a 98 OPS+. Jeff Bagwell had a 140 OPS+.  He actually had three more good years before falling off and retiring. Mike Easler had a 140 OPS+.  He had one more .800 OPS season. Cecil Cooper had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more season where he was an average or better hitter. Don Baylor had a 138 OPS+ (actually at 34).  He had one more season with an .800 OPS. George Hendrick had a 138 OPS+.  He had one more part-time season with an .800 OPS. Andre Thornton had a 123.  He's have one more good year. Adrian Gonzalez had a 130 OPS+.  Since then he's gone .784, .642, .672. Dmitri Young had a 129 OPS+.  The next year would be his last. Then you have Nelson Cruz and David Ortiz at 137.  Cruz has a .928 OPS and been worth 21 wins since leaving Baltimore.  And Ortiz had perhaps the best late career hitting and phone smashing record of all time. Also, remember Cruz was born July 1st, on the cutoff date, so if he'd been born 12 hours later his walk year with the O's would have been his age 34 season, so we'd be comparing him to these guys a year later and a year worse.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...