Sign in to follow this  
weams

Top Five

Palmer is number one.  The Orioles as an elite franchise begin and end with his career.  He was on all three championship teams.  The rest of my list is Brooks, Cal, Eddie, and Frank.  Frank was the best player that ever appeared as an Oriole.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, now said:

Yeah, well three out of five isn't too shabby for the 1966-71 dynasty, and 3/5 again for the 1982-83 champs.

That line you quoted caught my eye as well. You could also add '77, too: Palmer, Eddie's first year and Brooks' last few months.

22 minutes ago, caesarod said:

That line you quoted caught my eye as well. You could also add '77, too: Palmer, Eddie's first year and Brooks' last few months.

Good catch: that was a 97-win team, too.

Here’s my order.  Frank, Jim, Cal, Brooks, Eddie. Palmer lost 4+ seasons to injuries during his prime.  Could have easily won another 60 games.  I’m an old guy and it kills me when the win stat for pitchers is now out of style.  The notion that a starting pitcher w 10 wins should have won the Cy Young award boggles my mind.  In many ways I see diminishing the win stat as akin to participation trophies. It takes wins to make the postseason.  

I get the stats of advanced analytics, but the win still matters. 

50 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Here’s my order.  Frank, Jim, Cal, Brooks, Eddie. Palmer lost 4+ seasons to injuries during his prime.  Could have easily won another 60 games.  I’m an old guy and it kills me when the win stat for pitchers is now out of style.  The notion that a starting pitcher w 10 wins should have won the Cy Young award boggles my mind.  In many ways I see diminishing the win stat as akin to participation trophies. It takes wins to make the postseason.  

I get the stats of advanced analytics, but the win still matters. 

For pitcher wins, I like to go back to the old Bill James approach: it doesn't mean much for an individual season, but for career it is a meaningful stat. Palmer still shines with that one. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

And Mussina is not beating out Dave McNally for value to the Orioles.

Mike Mussina was 66 games over .500 for the O’s, ERA+ of 130, 47.8 rWAR.   McNally was 68 games over .500 (for much better teams), ERA+ of 107, 25.5 rWAR.   Mussina was far more valuable.    McNally’s teams put him in position to pitch in more meaningful games.    Not in Mussina’s control.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Here’s my order.  Frank, Jim, Cal, Brooks, Eddie.

But wait--your handle is brooksfrankjim!? Shouldn't it be frankjimcal?
BTW I agree with your order but Brooks is more of a sentimental choice for me so I'd flip him with Cal.

8 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Palmer won 20 games 8 out of 9 years from 1970 to 1978. How many pitchers have done that?

Geez, during that stretch he went 176-97 with 168 complete games and 44 shutouts. That is insane. 

He also pitched in 6 World Series.  He was so dominant I would rate him #1 and it isn't even close.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, now said:

But wait--your handle is brooksfrankjim!? Shouldn't it be frankjimcal?
BTW I agree with your order but Brooks is more of a sentimental choice for me so I'd flip him with Cal.

Brooksfrankjim sounds better :)

• Upvote 1

How you rank the big five depends on what you value most.    By career WAR it’s Frank by a sizable margin:

Frank 107.3

Cal 95.9

Brooks 78.4

Jimbo 68.9

Eddie 68.7

If you are considering what the player accomplished solely as an Oriole, Frank moves to the bottom of the WAR list.    But, putting stats aside, he propelled a team that had never been to the postseason to four World Series appearances in 6 years.    And after he left, it took the team 8 years to make the World Series again.   He played on the best Orioles teams, and was the best player and leader of those teams.    For me, that puts him at the top of the list.   But, I can see why some would prefer one of the lifetime Orioles.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, atomic said:

He also pitched in 6 World Series.  He was so dominant I would rate him #1 and it isn't even close.  

First, let me say that I love Palmer, and if you want to make a case for him as the greatest Oriole, I’m fine with it.   

As to the six World Series, he was kind of an accidental tourist in the last two, especially the last one.   In 1979 he was fifth on the team in IP (155) and wins (10).     In 1983 he was running on fumes, making only 11 starts and winning 5 games.   He did win a WS game in relief in ‘83, pitching two shutout innings, making him the only pitcher to win a WS game in three different decades.

Palmer’s career parallels almost exactly the Orioles’ run of greatness.   He benefitted a lot from having great teams behind him, but also was great himself.   

58 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Any list of all-time Orioles that ranks the Robinsons 4th and 5th just doesn't get the Orioles.

Agreed. I loved Cal as a kid but Brooks was and still is Mr. Oriole. And Frank made us a permanent contender from his arrival. My other two would be Murray and Palmer. I’d take Palmer over Moose for longevity and playoff performance.