Bahama O's Fan

Your 2019 Team

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

The only thing I really care about is if one of (if not both) Davis or Trumbo aren't on the roster for opening day.  

get used to disappointment. Davis is here and since he's going to help us lose the next 3 years what difference does it matter? Stick him at DH and move Mancini to his natural position of 1B.

2 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

get used to disappointment. Davis is here and since he's going to help us lose the next 3 years what difference does it matter? Stick him at DH and move Mancini to his natural position of 1B.

Roster flexibility.  Those are spots that younger players can use to see if they can be a part of the core of the next winning teams here.  That's what difference it makes.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

My friend,

It will be a cold place in hades before that happens.

It's Christmas, Theo, it's the time of miracles so be of good cheer. 

If I were Elias, I'd have 2 catchers, one of which may not be on the team as of yet.  I'd have 5 outfielders, one of which may not be on the team yet.  One of them perhaps could be a super-utility type that could also play some infield.  Mancini would be one of them, and he could slot into 1B later on, especially if Trumbo is traded.  Options and developmental plans are key factors in what other outfielders are kept to start the season.  I think you have to start the season with Davis and Trumbo.  You have little hope of salvaging something in a trade for Trumbo if you cut him and eat the entire salary.  I'd probably encourage Hyde to play Trumbo to start the season, if possible, in order to perhaps build some trade value.  Nunez and Villar would almost surely be 2 of the remaining four spots, and at least one of the two rule 5 shortstops would fill out the team, perhaps both.  Jackson could conceivably be retained as a super utility guy that also fills one of the five outfield spots, opening up a spot for an additional infielder, who may or may not already be on the team. 

I'd have 12 pitchers to start the season, a couple of which may not yet be on the team.  Barring pre-season trades, Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Givens, and Bleier pretty much have to be on the team.  If you think there's a chance that Araujo will ever be a serviceable major leaguer, you pretty much have to start the season with him on the 25-man roster.  He only needs 2 or 3 weeks on the 25-man to meet the rule 5 requirements and then be eligible to be sent to the minors, if you want to go that route.  I'd then have two more starters (one of which is likely Hess), one swing/long man, and three relievers (Fry, Castro, Scott, and perhaps Carroll are all in the mix there.)  Some may be involved in somewhat of a shuttle with Norfolk and/or Bowie.  Again, developmental factors and options enter into this, as well has day by day staff needs and handedness.

I'd offer input to Hyde as to what direction we are planning with some of these guys, and what I perceive might be optimum playing time considerations for them, but the starting lineup is in Hyde's purview.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Roster flexibility.  Those are spots that younger players can use to see if they can be a part of the core of the next winning teams here.  That's what difference it makes.

It's Christmas, Theo, it's the time of miracles so be of good cheer. 

Kudos, and good movie reference.

Miracles do happen, but didnt work out too well for Hans. LMBO

• Haha 1

I'd have at least one of Trumbo, Davis, Mancini off the roster.  Mancini would be the easiest to move and would bring the most back in all likelihood.  Though I'd prefer moving TRumbo.  Moving Davis is a nonstarter, imo.

I'd be on the phone with Houston about Givens after Smith got hurt.

I'm not up on everyone's options, so I'll go with this:

Davis, Villar, Martin, Jackson, Ruiz, Nunez.  Hays, Mullens, Stewart, Rickard, Trumbo.  Wynns and Sisco.

Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Hess.  Givens, Castro, Bleier, Carroll, Araujo, Kline.  Two of Ramirez, Wright, Rogers, Ortiz.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but what's the expense to the team? We're all pretty much in agreement they're destined for last place in the AL East. We have the luxury of giving Sisco a chance to play and get better at the MLB level. I also stand firm on my point that money shouldn't dictate whether or not someone plays. The Phillies benched Howard for the latter part of his contract. 

We will just have to wait and see what happens with Davis and the team.

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You understand the team is rebuilding right? LeMahieu is going to get a BIG contract and I don't think Dozier will have to settle for a 1 year deal. The Mesoraco and Pomeranz signings seem more realistic, but I really don't think Garcia brings much to the table. He's a very overrated player. I think we'd be better off just throwing Hays into the deep end of the pool. 

Beeeelay, nothing suggested here matters, I understand that I’d rather sign guys we can trade than simply play guys that aren’t ready. Beeeelay, my lineup had Hays in it. Beeeelay, I posted an article addressing why Garcia may be a decent candidate for a nice rebound. Beeeeelay, mlb trade rumors estimates Dozier will sign for 1 year 10 million, that is the number I referenced, your thoughts on him are likely less well sourced than theirs. Beeeelay, fangraphs projects 2 years and $22 million for DJ, that’s not a particularly big contract, I also referenced, and linked, an article that suggests he may have some upside, which could make him a nice player for us which would make him a nice trade asset.

Beeeelay, the Orioles are likely to be, and indeed benefit from being, the worst team in baseball —— no one we sign this offseason will be here when we contend, but someone we trade them for could absolutely be a piece on the next contender in Baltimore. Beeeelay, The only thing any free agent signing can do for this franchise is bring back young talent. Beeeelay, playing young guys just to play young guys isn’t going to get us closer to contending, but if Dozier, DJ, or Garcia hit well in Baltimore, which is hardly a stretch, then all it takes is an injury on another team to give Elias (not you, nor I) access to that teams farm system. That is what I believe should be the goal of the 2019 season, acquire young talent any way possible. Dozier, DJ, or Garcia with Cobb could be what allows us to bring back a piece we couldn’t get otherwise, that opportunity is what I want.

Beeeelay, you should not talk down to kind members of the community who participate in threads like these and take the time to cite and link references for all to enjoy. 

Beeeeelay, those who think the Mets have a DH should not respond sanctimoniously about a deep understanding of team building philosophy. 

You understand the team is rebuilding right? -you

20 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm wondering if he (Adam Jones) would play everyday (for the Mets)? Or maybe they (The Mets) would rotate Conforto, Nimmo, Lagares, and Jones between the OF and DH slots. Either way he'd be a great clubhouse guy for that team.

• Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Beeeelay, nothing suggested here matters, I understand that I’d rather sign guys we can trade than simply play guys that aren’t ready. Beeeelay, my lineup had Hays in it. Beeeelay, I posted an article addressing why Garcia may be a decent candidate for a nice rebound. Beeeeelay, mlb trade rumors estimates Dozier will sign for 1 year 10 million, that is the number I referenced, your thoughts on him are likely less well sourced than theirs. Beeeelay, fangraphs projects 2 years and $22 million for DJ, that’s not a particularly big contract, I also referenced, and linked, an article that suggests he may have some upside, which could make him a nice player for us which would make him a nice trade asset.

Beeeelay, the Orioles are likely to be, and indeed benefit from being, the worst team in baseball —— no one we sign this offseason will be here when we contend, but someone we trade them for could absolutely be a piece on the next contender in Baltimore. Beeeelay, The only thing any free agent signing can do for this franchise is bring back young talent. Beeeelay, playing young guys just to play young guys isn’t going to get us closer to contending, but if Dozier, DJ, or Garcia hit well in Baltimore, which is hardly a stretch, then all it takes is an injury on another team to give Elias (not you, nor I) access to that teams farm system. That is what I believe should be the goal of the 2019 season, acquire young talent any way possible. Dozier, DJ, or Garcia with Cobb could be what allows us to bring back a piece we couldn’t get otherwise, that opportunity is what I want.

Beeeelay, you should not talk down to kind members of the community who participate in threads like these and take the time to cite and link references for all to enjoy. 

Beeeeelay, those who think the Mets have a DH should not respond sanctimoniously about a deep understanding of team building philosophy. 

You understand the team is rebuilding right? -you

I think I finally understand why Matt Damon punched that guy with a ponytail in the bar in the face in Good Will Hunting. This is 1,000 times more condescending and asshole-like then anything I've ever written. If you make an outlandish suggestion like saying a rebuilding team should sign a 1/2 dozen free agents then you either don't understand the game or are just trolling for responses. Based on your unbelievably unfunny rhetoric I'm guessing it's the latter. I guess I have no one but myself to blame for taking the bait. 

PS) I hope the time that it took you to sort through all my old posts was worth it for that "sick burn". 

PPS) No one's laughing at your "beeeeelay" joke. You might want to workshop it a bit more before you let it see the light of day again. 

4 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Team Non-Tender vs The O’s.

Our lines up has a projected WAR under 9.9 per this Hardball Times article.

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/team-non-tender-could-outhit-the-orioles-or-love-me-non-tender/

If I could add a couple FA’s I’d start with Avisail Garcia, he played through injuries on a grotesque CWS side which displays some level of love for the game and provides reasonable hope for a turn around.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-avisail-garcia-knee-surgery-20180925-story.html

DJ LeMahieu, who fangraphs featured as a guy with potentially strong upside. This really is a fairly interesting article.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-hidden-upside-of-a-normal-free-agent/

A pitcher who may have some potential upside with a mysterious new Astros approach, an approach Brian McCann is unwilling to discuss, could be Drew Pomeranz. 

C - Mesoraco

1B - Mancini

2B - DJ LeMahieu

SS - Villar 

3B - Brian Dozier (has said he’s willing to play 3rd, is projected to get 1 year 10 million)

LF: Hays

RF: Garcia

CF: Mullins

DH: Davis

SP: Bundy - Cobb - Cashner - Pomeranz - Weams

Possibly the best defensive team ever assembled. Dozier, Garcia, DJ all have decent potential for a mid season trade allowing Elias to put his skills to the test. 

The O’s are back.

I'm curious if anyone else agrees with this strategy? Quote the original post (for context) when replying. 

2 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

I'll give it a try...

C - Matt Wieters

1b - Chris Davis

2b - Villar

SS -  Tulo

3B - Manny

RF - Markakis

CF - Mullins

LF - Mancini

Bench:  Jones, Trumbo, Cisco, Flaherty 

I do find it funny that just about our entire 2014 lineup is/was a FA this year

24 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

C Wieters/Wynns

1B Mancini

2B Villar

3B Nunez/Rios

SS Martin/Jackson

LF  Stewart

CF Mullins/ Rickard

RF Markakis

DH CD/Trumbo

SP Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, M.Gonzalez, Hess

So you would go with 14 position players and 11 pitchers?