Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

The realistic reason why it doesn’t make sense is because it might be a stretch that we are even competing again by 2021. 

2023 is likely our reality. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The realistic reason why it doesn’t make sense is because it might be a stretch that we are even competing again by 2021. 

2023 is likely our reality. 

More on the collusion allusion for @Moose Milligan:

"But the past two winters are eroding some of what’s at the sport’s core, and it’s concerning if you care about the on-field product.

Let’s start with the notion, quaint by now, that all 30 teams head to spring training with a goal of winning the World Series. They don’t. That’s been true for years. But it’s a near-certainty that the sport has reached its lowest percentage of franchises that are performing even the most basic of competitive endeavors: trying."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/what-do-you-call-a-game-in-which-half-the-participants-arent-trying-to-win-mlb/2019/01/31/930a48e6-258c-11e9-ad53-824486280311_story.html?utm_term=.427081a7aed1

7WBETAEKXYI6RBNOKEN4CFDLBM.jpg

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/01/padres-meeting-with-bryce-harper.html

Manny and Harper on the same team??????

Never would have even remotely thought it was possible.

I read this as an either or situation (i.e., they have no intention of signing both). You wonder how a team like the White Sox can compete with the Padres. If I'm going to play for a mediocre team I'd much rather do it in one of the most beautiful (warm) cities in the US as opposed to freezing my nuts off in Chicago. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I read this as an either or situation (i.e., they have no intention of signing both). You wonder how a team like the White Sox can compete with the Padres. If I'm going to play for a mediocre team I'd much rather do it in one of the most beautiful (warm) cities in the US as opposed to freezing my nuts off in Chicago. 

You dont schedule team visit for somebody your not interested in signing.

I think the Padres are trying to build themselves a contender and maybe add 1 or 2 more pieces to help get them to their goal.

I suspect they are a bit farther away then they think they are.

But, it does send a message to your fan base that you are competing, they have had PR issues in the past with some of their bad decisions.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

You dont schedule team visit for somebody your not interested in signing.

I think the Padres are trying to build themselves a contender and maybe add 1 or 2 more pieces to help get them to their goal.

I suspect they are a bit farther away then they think they are.

But, it does send a message to your fan base that you are competing, they have had PR issues in the past with some of their bad decisions.

I think they're wooing both and playing the percentages. If Manny chooses someone else then they'll focus on Bryce and vice versa. I think the Padres have talent, but i also think the people they have in charge aren't necessarily making the best decisions. The trade for the Cleveland catcher prospect was an interesting one. Especially given most have him projected as a DH. And the Hosmer signing was a really bad move considering the state of the team at the time. They seem like the type of team that don't have a clear plan and direction. You can't succeed with that approach. But as I said they weather's beautiful in San Diego. Just ask Ron Burgundy. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think they're wooing both and playing the percentages. If Manny chooses someone else then they'll focus on Bryce and vice versa. I think the Padres have talent, but i also think the people they have in charge aren't necessarily making the best decisions. The trade for the Cleveland catcher prospect was an interesting one. Especially given most have him projected as a DH. And the Hosmer signing was a really bad move considering the state of the team at the time. They seem like the type of team that don't have a clear plan and direction. You can't succeed with that approach. But as I said they weather's beautiful in San Diego. Just ask Ron Burgundy. 

You made a good point.

Chances are getting both are slim, I will freely admit that.

Im just shocked they are at this stage, which to me, is past the point of just kicking the tires, on both.

San Diego's late entry notwithstanding, I'll say that Harper returns to Washington, as I've suspected all along, and that Machado grudgingly signs with Philadelphia.

As to their ultimate contract numbers, who in blazes knows at this point.

8 minutes ago, McLikin said:

San Diego's late entry notwithstanding, I'll say that Harper returns to Washington, as I've suspected all along, and that Machado grudgingly signs with Philadelphia.

As to their ultimate contract numbers, who in blazes knows at this point.

You could be very right.

IMO, I think the Nationals are done with Harper and he lands anywhere but there.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Or, ask Peter Angelos.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Woooooooow, never thought a one year deal would be a possibility for Manny.  

I read Joel Sherman's article, but his one-year suggestion won't work for the problem he dismisses.

If Machado did a one-year deal, he would return to a free-agent market next offseason that could include shortstop/third basemen Nolan Arenado, Josh Donaldson, Anthony Rendon, Xander Bogaerts and Didi Gregorius.

This year, the media hype has been Harper & Machado and BTW, everyone else lumped in a different group. Unless Colorado locks up Arenado, as ManNY would say, "Oof."  His rumored desire for a $300M deal takes another hit, even if he's an altar boy on the field.

• Upvote 2

I loved having Manny on the O’s, and thought he’d get 10/$300 mm this offseason.   But I’m not exactly crying for the guy that he’s not happy with his offers.    He should get the best long term deal he can and get an opt-out put in there.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I loved having Manny on the O’s, and thought he’d get 10/$300 mm this offseason.   But I’m not exactly crying for the guy that he’s not happy with his offers.    He should get the best long term deal he can and get an opt-out put in there.

Excellent idea if opt out is timed for the offseason after the new agreement with the players union starts.*  

* Which could be a loooonnnggg offseason.