Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If memory serves Tex kinda strung us along a bit though so the situation was a bit different. I personally don't hate / resent Manny. I simply don't care about him anymore. 

I think maybe it was more agent, but yeah, they used us, to get the Yankees to go higher. But, it happens. Thats the business part of this.

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The value Manny has provided through his age would be in the top 2, 3, 5 in most generations.  But the 1990- generation has been excellent compared to a lot of others.  Most don't have four guys who can match Trout, Manny, Altuve, and Arenado.

The amount of great talent in baseball right now is amazing. I think one day we'll be looking back on this period of baseball as 'the good ole days.' 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theocean said:

The amount of great young talent in baseball right now is amazing. I think one day we'll be looking back on this period of baseball as 'the good ole days.' 

I added a bit.

That is part of the reason the vets aren't getting the money they are used to.

1 minute ago, theocean said:

The amount of great talent in baseball right now is amazing. I think one day we'll be looking back on this period of baseball as 'the good ole days.' 

For me that era was the mid 60s to early 70s.

4x 20 game winners on the same team.

ERAs in the sub 2s and lower.

A ton of HOF players came out of that ERA.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d prefer he didn’t, just because I don’t want it rubbed in my face 19 times a year, and if they get him at a bargain price that helps their team significantly.    But it’s not a personal thing, like Manny is a traitor or something.    He can go wherever he chooses and it won’t affect my opinion of him.   

Mine either.  I disliked him as an Oriole, and I'll hate him now wherever he goes.  My opinion of him hasn't changed in years.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I added a bit.

I think the market is readjusting after a few years of overspending by the big 3.

But thats just an opinion.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Pitching wins and ERA  

Meh.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d love to have Manny back but that would stink for us. The whole point of the pipe dream is that he’d be here when we were ready to “contend” in 2021/2022. An opt out with us would mean we’d pay him $75 million for him to not impact a team. 

It’s not going to happen, but you give him an 8 year/$200 deal and hope that during the last 5 years off his deal we are contending, and Manny is a 3B playing at top 5 AL MVP level. 

Pretty sure he never takes the opt out because they’ll be paying him so much damned money.

😉

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I added a bit.

It is certainly not normal to have multiple active players who were productive major leaguers as teenagers, or in the year they turned 20.  Harper, Machado, Trout in two years was astounding.  Just Harper and Machado in '12... there have only been two years with more teenage position player with at least 0.5 WAR in value - 1890 and 1884, both forever ago in seasons with entire expansion leagues blowing up the pool of players.

Or looking at it another way, 2013 and 2015 are both in the top ten years for number of players under 24 with at least 1.0 win in value.  And '15 had nine players under 24 with at least 4.0 wins in value, the most ever.  '16 and '13 are 4th and 5th all time.

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Whenever the Orioles are good are the “good ole days.”

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The writers always did have problems differentiating contextual effects and talent.  Make the strike zone three acres and the mound 11' tall and inevitably somebody writes an article about how deep the pitching talent suddenly is.

39 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The writers always did have problems differentiating contextual effects and talent.  Make the strike zone three acres and the mound 11' tall and inevitably somebody writes an article about how deep the pitching talent suddenly is.

Maybe the strike zone was actually the strike zone back then. :)

Now adays they want the pitcher to hit a moving target the size of a doughnut. :)

• Upvote 1