Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I think people are missing my point. In the 60s you had some of the best pitching and hitting of any era. I prefer that brand of baseball to today's.

I do too. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:17 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe the strike zone was actually the strike zone back then. :)

Now adays they want the pitcher to hit a moving target the size of a doughnut. :)

Strike zone seems like it was at the knee to bottom of the shoulder. Now I can't remember if I read that or heard that. Nor can I remember when it was. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What would Chris Davis call for?  

High.  With today's strike zone ending at the letters he could watch almost every pitch go by and then just walk.

Or if we went back to full-on 1860s rules, Davis would probably be happy with underhand pitching with very limited breaking stuff.  He could still crush a 53 mph straight pitch, high or low.  Although the hand-made balls might not go 250 feet no matter how hard they were hit...

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

What would Chris Davis call for?  

Underhand slow ass pitch a child could hit.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They need to go back to the batter being able to call for a high or low pitch.

Image result for robot umpires

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Underhand isn't necessarily slow.  The King (Eddie Feigner) pitched faster than Bob Feller.

Sure, but it’s mostly about which the plane of the ball as opposed to ML pitching. Jennie Finch had no ML hitters take her up on her challenge to face her.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Underhand isn't necessarily slow.  The King (Eddie Feigner) pitched faster than Bob Feller.

Allegedly.  :) Pre-radar speed measurements have to be taken with a dump truck load of salt.  I love Steve Dalkowski stories, but I think they're part fact and part ancient Greek legend.  Carl Mays apparently threw very hard with Chad Bradford's delivery.   It would be interesting to see how hard a guy with a 100-mph overhand fastball could throw submarine.

I do think that if we were put in the TARDIS and sent back to 1860 we'd see a number of similarities between the baseball of that era and fast-pitch softball today.  But I'd be surprised if anyone of that era threw 70 mph.

To at least sort of get this thread back on track here's an idea of what we could have gotten for Manny if we had been proactive and traded him in 2017. 

Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports that the Phillies and Marlins have agreed upon a J.T. Realmuto trade.

Miami's return package will be headlined by top pitching prospect Sixto Sanchez and catcher Jorge Alfaro, and ESPN's Jeff Passan adds that the Phillies are also sending 21-year-old left-hander Will Stewart and an international signing bonus slot (worth $250,000) to the rebuilding Fish. This long-running Realmuto trade saga has finally come to a close here in early February, less than a week before the opening of spring training. The 27-year-old catcher should carry massive fantasy value in Philadelphia and will be under his new team's control through 2020. Contract extension talks are possible this spring.

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

To at least sort of get this thread back on track here's an idea of what we could have gotten for Manny if we had been proactive and traded him in 2017. 

Jim Bowden of The Athletic reports that the Phillies and Marlins have agreed upon a J.T. Realmuto trade.

Miami's return package will be headlined by top pitching prospect Sixto Sanchez and catcher Jorge Alfaro, and ESPN's Jeff Passan adds that the Phillies are also sending 21-year-old left-hander Will Stewart and an international signing bonus slot (worth $250,000) to the rebuilding Fish. This long-running Realmuto trade saga has finally come to a close here in early February, less than a week before the opening of spring training. The 27-year-old catcher should carry massive fantasy value in Philadelphia and will be under his new team's control through 2020. Contract extension talks are possible this spring.

A wild Zoellner slot appears!