Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A wild Zoellner slot appears!

That is what I was thinking.  And I wonder what the Marlins plan to do with that slot money. How much do they have now?

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

:confused:

The Phillies are sending slot money to the Marlins.

The O's have sent slot money to the Phillies on two occasions so far this international cycle.  Once was for Zoellner (500K). 

Since I very strongly disagreed with the Zoellner trade I'm tracking the money as best I can.  Now if the Marlins sign anyone else of note I can blame the Zoellner trade.

For the record I wasn't even sure the Marlins had the ability to take on more International slot money.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's have sent slot money to the Phillies on two occasions so far this international cycle.  Once was for Zoellner (500K). 

Since I very strongly disagreed with the Zoellner trade I'm tracking the money as best I can.  Now if the Marlins sign anyone else of note I can blame the Zoellner trade.

For the record I wasn't even sure the Marlins had the ability to take on more International slot money.

You are undervaluing 24 year old weak hitting first basemen in the Gulf Coast league. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gotcha. 

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Allegedly.  :) Pre-radar speed measurements have to be taken with a dump truck load of salt.  I love Steve Dalkowski stories, but I think they're part fact and part ancient Greek legend.  Carl Mays apparently threw very hard with Chad Bradford's delivery.   It would be interesting to see how hard a guy with a 100-mph overhand fastball could throw submarine.

I do think that if we were put in the TARDIS and sent back to 1860 we'd see a number of similarities between the baseball of that era and fast-pitch softball today.  But I'd be surprised if anyone of that era threw 70 mph.

The story is they stood at baseball pitcher's mound distance on a softball diamond (so no mound) and threw to two catchers side by side and the King continually beat him.  Of course I wasn't there.  I did a brief search and could not find the story but did find this: https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/who-were-the-fastest-pitchers-c453890d0516   and a 1972 Sports Illustrated story on Feigner. https://www.si.com/vault/1972/08/21/619134/a-king-without-a-crown

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yankees fan buddy of mine just texted, says he hears the Yankees have made Manny an offer.

A staring contest in which no one will blink

The simple answer to why free agents Bryce Harper and Manny Machado remain unsigned is – duh! – teams have not offered them enough money. The actual answer is more complex, but all sides bear responsibility for the delays.

Harper’s agent, Scott Boras, and Machado’s agent, Dan Lozano, both are believed to be seeking at least $300 million. Neither wants to sign first, knowing once one of the players goes off the board, the other will benefit from gaining the sole attention of the remaining suitors.

The clubs, too, prefer to stall.

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, for one, would prefer to chase the market rather than set it, according to sources. That way, he could avoid a bidding war, wait until the very end to hear the number he needs to reach, then decide whether he is willing to pay.

Other clubs seemingly are taking the same approach. The Phillies, sitting on “stupid money,” figure they will get one of the two stars, knowing they can top any offer. The Padres are acting more aggressively on Machado, sources say, but to what end if they ultimately get outbid?

Then there are the mystery teams. It’s reasonable to assume they exist on both players – the Padres jumped in on Harper last week, the Giants this week. The more teams that get involved, the more complicated the process will be.

Baseball is really losing my interest now. Obviously the main reason is how bad the O’s are, but plenty of others. 

Sox/MFY re-emerging powerhouses 

Boring offseason 

Lack of balls in play

Price of mlbtv

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yankees fan buddy of mine just texted, says he hears the Yankees have made Manny an offer.

No that was just Jim Duquette stirring the pot.... already back tracked on it saying it was a rumor he heard.

The Yankees have not made an offer to Machado (yet?)

On 2/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe the strike zone was actually the strike zone back then. :)

Now adays they want the pitcher to hit a moving target the size of a doughnut. :)

homer-donuts.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I understand your points.

But, I will say, that even with the redesign rule book, the umpires do not call balls & strikes based on that, and can be very inconsistent in the middle of the game.

I do not expect perfection, but a little consistency too much to ask?

I notice it a lot at the end of games, especially close games. The tighter the score, the tighter the zone, by inch(es). In the umps favor I think it tightens up for both pitchers. Not just non-Skankee, non-Red Sox pitchers like we [female dog] about so often...