Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yankees fan buddy of mine just texted, says he hears the Yankees have made Manny an offer.

No that was just Jim Duquette stirring the pot.... already back tracked on it saying it was a rumor he heard.

The Yankees have not made an offer to Machado (yet?)

On 2/5/2019 at 1:17 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe the strike zone was actually the strike zone back then. :)

Now adays they want the pitcher to hit a moving target the size of a doughnut. :)

homer-donuts.jpg

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, Redskins Rick said:

I understand your points.

But, I will say, that even with the redesign rule book, the umpires do not call balls & strikes based on that, and can be very inconsistent in the middle of the game.

I do not expect perfection, but a little consistency too much to ask?

I notice it a lot at the end of games, especially close games. The tighter the score, the tighter the zone, by inch(es). In the umps favor I think it tightens up for both pitchers. Not just non-Skankee, non-Red Sox pitchers like we [female dog] about so often...

On 2/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I think that with the degree of immediate feedback they get on their performance they are probably more accurate now.

Do you mean feedback by video data or just players and the bench chirping at them?

Just now, scOtt said:

Do you mean feedback by video data or just players and the bench chirping at them?

Video.  After every game at home plate the league goes over their performance.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:48 AM, El Gordo said:

Alright. But still Mickey , Hank, Frank,  Roberto, Mays, McCovey, Killebrew, Conigliaro, Carl Yastrzemski, Orlando Cepeda, Dick Allen, Willie McCovey, Ernie Banks, , Al Kaline, Frank Howard, Ron Santo, Lou Brock, Vada Pinson, Jimmy Wynn, Ken Boyer  did OK.

Boog did pretty well too.

Hal Steinbrenner also recently said he isnt ruling out adding Machado or Harper. Seems like alot of smoke is billowing in NY right now. 

Looks more and more like the Yankees could be the destination. 

On 2/7/2019 at 4:10 PM, Pheasants said:

The story is they stood at baseball pitcher's mound distance on a softball diamond (so no mound) and threw to two catchers side by side and the King continually beat him.  Of course I wasn't there.  I did a brief search and could not find the story but did find this: https://ourgame.mlblogs.com/who-were-the-fastest-pitchers-c453890d0516   and a 1972 Sports Illustrated story on Feigner. https://www.si.com/vault/1972/08/21/619134/a-king-without-a-crown

"I am the world's finest softball pitcher by at least 100%," says The King. "I mean, I can say this because I have never met or seen anybody who was anywhere near half as good as me. I have perfect control. I throw the best changeup there ever was. I throw other pitches nobody can. My in-drop and in-raise are superpitches and unique. Anyone can throw the out-drop or out-raise, but everywhere I travel pitchers ask me how to throw the others. Who else pitches blindfolded? Who else pitches from second base? I used to throw strikes from center field. I struck out a batter from center once. We figured that would never happen again, so we took it out of the show. Who else pitches from behind his back or between his legs? For strikes? My fastball was clocked at 104 mph. Check Koufax. Check Feller. I'm the fastest. There have been only three or four arms like mine ever in history. I once struck out a man on one pitch; he swung and missed three times at the same changeup.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Sticking by my original prediction: Manny to MFY

Yep, I agree.  I've been saying for weeks that they're just waiting this out and he'll end up going there.  Kinda like the Sox did last year with Victor Martinez.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, I agree.  I've been saying for weeks that they're just waiting this out and he'll end up going there.  Kinda like the Sox did last year with Victor Martinez.

I've been calling him ManNY for over a year.  Your Martinez analogy makes sense.  His deal will be closer to Martinez' 5 than the 10 he reportedly wants.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm getting queasy with this direction the Manny story's taking. I was really hoping he'd be in the NL and the O's would not have to be exposed to him beating 'em with one of the O's best former pieces. I mean, they were gonna trounce the O's anyway, but at least it would not be with Manny and Britton putting the exclamation point on it. Hoping it's someone else outbidding 'em. 

I'm starting to think he signs a huge one-year deal with a lesser club, Philly, White Sox, maybe even his hometown Marlins. Try again next year.