Jump to content
Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

This is such a bad look for the players and they're getting killed on Twitter for their comments. I don't understand why they don't just let the Player's Union speak for them and fight the battle. Isn't that the whole purpose of a union?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is such a bad look for the players and they're getting killed on Twitter for their comments. I don't understand why they don't just let the Player's Union speak for them and fight the battle. Isn't that the whole purpose of a union?

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

Eh Buster sounded like a fool in saying a 115 loss team should be in win now mode and Longoria had no credibility since he'd never been a free agent or even in arbitration.

They need to move the discussion to an area they can win, how underpaid young players are.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is such a huge disparity between the upper echelon of spenders and the bottom feeders that it’s like there are two free agent periods that overlap one another. Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. Then you have the clubs anticipating bargain contracts when the big spenders get their fill. You’ve got players and agents doing their best to not be a bargain but yet holding out for ridiculous money. The system is broken, I agree but I don’t think it’s broken for the same reasons a guy like Verlander does. Institute a hard payroll cap and do something to create an incentive for clubs not to avoid the free agent market all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oriole said:

There is such a huge disparity between the upper echelon of spenders and the bottom feeders that it’s like there are two free agent periods that overlap one another. Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. Then you have the clubs anticipating bargain contracts when the big spenders get their fill. You’ve got players and agents doing their best to not be a bargain but yet holding out for ridiculous money. The system is broken, I agree but I don’t think it’s broken for the same reasons a guy like Verlander does. Institute a hard payroll cap and do something to create an incentive for clubs not to avoid the free agent market all together.

If the younger players start costing more it will make free agents more attractive.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the younger players start costing more it will make free agents more attractive.

I think that makes some sense but part of the appeal of unproven talent is the low financial risk. So if we’re talking about raising MLB minimum salaries to a million or so, then sure. But any more than that then you exacerbate the issue of payroll disparity by pushing free agents value higher plus making the unproven guys more risky. 

A payroll cap makes much more sense in my mind. I want to say a payroll floor as well but that seems like a slippery slope and probably (or definitely) not a good idea. But say a team can only spend $200 million a year on payroll and maybe anything past that deducts payroll space for the following year. That would even the playing field not only in wins and losses but in how teams value players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I think that makes some sense but part of the appeal of unproven talent is the low financial risk. So if we’re talking about raising MLB minimum salaries to a million or so, then sure. But any more than that then you exacerbate the issue of payroll disparity by pushing free agents value higher plus making the unproven guys more risky. 

A payroll cap makes much more sense in my mind. I want to say a payroll floor as well but that seems like a slippery slope and probably (or definitely) not a good idea. But say a team can only spend $200 million a year on payroll and maybe anything past that deducts payroll space for the following year. That would even the playing field not only in wins and losses but in how teams value players. 

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

You got me there. I can’t argue that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A Union is only as strong as its most valuable members.   I don’t know if I completely agree with these guys but I admire them for speaking up.  

I admired Curt Flood and Dave McNally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The NFL has a cap, and the Patriots.

The NBA has a cap, and the Warriors.

I'm not sold a cap is the solution, heck they have a de facto cap going now.

NBA- Only takes 6-7 players to win. 

NFL- Belicek and the joke that is the AFC East. 

MLB doesn’t want a cap because they want the Yankees and Red Sox in the WS every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

NBA- Only takes 6-7 players to win. 

NFL- Belicek and the joke that is the AFC East. 

MLB doesn’t want a cap because they want the Yankees and Red Sox in the WS every year. 

MLB owners want a cap.  They haven't been pushing for one for decades as some sort of long con.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, oriole said:

Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. 

Teams may choose to not do that, but they could.  Every year, or almost every year, a team or three wins 90 games with a payroll 75% of league average.  Last year the Rays had the lowest payroll in baseball, $68M, and won 90.  The A's were third-lowest and won 97.  Those teams couldn't have won with a payroll 85% of average while adding a 6-win player?

If you can win 90+ with one of the lowest payrolls in the league you can certainly win 90+ with an average payroll and one guy taking up 20-25% of it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

MLB owners want a cap.  They haven't been pushing for one for decades as some sort of long con.

I thought the luxury cap crap system was what they wanted, an ability to overspend the cap, if they wanted to?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought the luxury cap crap system was what they wanted, an ability to overspend the cap, if they wanted to?????

The commish has good reasons to act like "The Owners" are a monolithic bloc that's always in lock-step.  But I guarantee that the Rays' and A's owners have significantly different perspectives and desires than the Yanks' and Red Sox'.  You think the Pirates are going to the mat for the ability to overspend on the cap?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • I was hoping to see news on a surprise retirement announcement after seeing this thread bumped up. 
    • Hutzler's was in Westview Mall, not Security Mall.
    • He lied before and was called out by Palmer.  
    • Isn't CD getting paid enough to lie through his teeth when he's asked questions on Hot Stove radio programs?  Would it hurt to make up a bunch of complete crap about his "punishing" work ethic just for public consumption?  Is that too much to ask? Apparently so.
    • I used to work at a grocery store in college and my boss used to me make me buy his lottery tickets at the liquor store next door and I frequently saw Artie Donovan in there shopping.  Only knew who he was because of Letterman.  Didn’t ask him for his autograph though.  Mark Williamson used to come in the Grocery store a bunch. As did coach Kenny Cooper.    Saw Brooks coming out of Security Mall one day In the 80s and he looked like he didn’t want to be bothered so I didn’t say anything to him. He left through Hutzlers so he probably figured no one was going to be in there.
    • Chris Davis did a phone-in interview today on the Hot Stove radio show on 105.7 The Fan here in Baltimore. Jim Hunter and Steve Melewski straight out asked Davis about hitting, and what he was doing to improve his hitting in this offseason. Nothing Davis said supplied hope. He flat out said he wasn't going to drastically alter his swing because he is now in his 30s, and because he has had sustained success in the past with his swing. He said he talked a lot with the O's staff (didn't he say that last year?) and the O's mentioned that he was successful when he was stronger, and since he has purposefully done less work with the weights the last few years, he was going to try to get stronger this offseason. He also said he would try to be more aggressive in order to not take so many called third strikes, and to let the ball travel, so as to not try to hit it out in front of the plate so much. He also said some stuff about his mind being in a better place, etcetera. Which would be nice if he was hitting baseballs with his mind instead of a bat. So, he basically said he was doing nothing special this offseason to improve his hitting, he is just going to take a better approach into the upcoming year.
    • Bwa-ha-ha!!! Beautiful! Great memory. Great reference!
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...