Bahama O's Fan

Anyone Following Manny? (Signs with San Diego)

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

NBA- Only takes 6-7 players to win. 

NFL- Belicek and the joke that is the AFC East. 

MLB doesn’t want a cap because they want the Yankees and Red Sox in the WS every year. 

MLB owners want a cap.  They haven't been pushing for one for decades as some sort of long con.

11 hours ago, oriole said:

Of course guys like Machado and Harper will have limited appeal to clubs considering most clubs simply cannot field a winning team with a $30m/yr player sucking up such a large portion of payroll. 

Teams may choose to not do that, but they could.  Every year, or almost every year, a team or three wins 90 games with a payroll 75% of league average.  Last year the Rays had the lowest payroll in baseball, $68M, and won 90.  The A's were third-lowest and won 97.  Those teams couldn't have won with a payroll 85% of average while adding a 6-win player?

If you can win 90+ with one of the lowest payrolls in the league you can certainly win 90+ with an average payroll and one guy taking up 20-25% of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

MLB owners want a cap.  They haven't been pushing for one for decades as some sort of long con.

I thought the luxury cap crap system was what they wanted, an ability to overspend the cap, if they wanted to?????

13 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought the luxury cap crap system was what they wanted, an ability to overspend the cap, if they wanted to?????

The commish has good reasons to act like "The Owners" are a monolithic bloc that's always in lock-step.  But I guarantee that the Rays' and A's owners have significantly different perspectives and desires than the Yanks' and Red Sox'.  You think the Pirates are going to the mat for the ability to overspend on the cap?

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

No, it was the comprise they reached.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, it was the comprise they reached.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The commish has good reasons to act like "The Owners" are a monolithic bloc that's always in lock-step.  But I guarantee that the Rays' and A's owners have significantly different perspectives and desires than the Yanks' and Red Sox'.  You think the Pirates are going to the mat for the ability to overspend on the cap?

Ive never been a fan of spending caps.

Its like owners want somebody to government their desire to overspend.

In the marketplace and the real world, if you over spend, you go out of business.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you can win 90+ with one of the lowest payrolls in the league you can certainly win 90+ with an average payroll and one guy taking up 20-25% of it.

The issue is not the 20% to 30% for one guy, for one year, it is having that guy for ten years and unproductive for half of that.

This is still the Manny post right?  He'll sign with NY soon.  80 million apart ? They will split the difference probably in the Yankees favor ( 240 million?) and defer it,  He'll play 3B and tighten up their infield defense. They know he hates Boston and like his wife.  They'll probably tell her to keep him straight. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, section18 said:

This is still the Manny post right?  He'll sign with NY soon.  80 million apart ? They will split the difference probably in the Yankees favor ( 240 million?) and defer it,  He'll play 3B and tighten up their infield defense. They know he hates Boston and like his wife.  They'll probably tell her to keep him straight. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but perhaps you should use qualifiers like "I think" when you state your opinion. Also, I'm curious how you ascertained that Manny hates Boston? And how you know that they (Yankees) like his wife.  Did you sit in on their dinner meetings? Is there some video footage of Manny degrading Boston fans that I'm unaware of? 

47 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Ive never been a fan of spending caps.

Its like owners want somebody to government their desire to overspend.

In the marketplace and the real world, if you over spend, you go out of business.

So you want the Red and Rays and A's and Orioles to go out of business, since nobody capped the Yanks and Red Sox and they have three to five times as many revenues as most other teams?  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer if professional sports teams weren't trying to drive the compeition out of business like they're Microsoft or Comcast.  I don't know that MLB works quite as well as a traveling roadshow of neverending Yanks-Sox games.

50 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

The issue is not the 20% to 30% for one guy, for one year, it is having that guy for ten years and unproductive for half of that.

That's easily avoided.  Don't sign contracts guaranteeing $30M a year to 38-year-olds.  Manny and Harper will be 34 eight years from now, and with any luck about 80% or 90% as productive as they are now.

It's strange how the owners have picked right now to have their come-to-Jesus moment about 40-year-olds on long-term deals, when Harper and Manny are more-or-less the youngest free agents ever and the most likely to be worth a long deal.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So you want the Red and Rays and A's and Orioles to go out of business, since nobody capped the Yanks and Red Sox and they have three to five times as many revenues as most other teams?  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer if professional sports teams weren't trying to drive the compeition out of business like they're Microsoft or Comcast.  I don't know that MLB works quite as well as a traveling roadshow of neverending Yanks-Sox games.

Yankees and Dodgers have always had plenty of money.

Yet other teams have managed to win WS, before the days of the cap.

You do a real cap, and you get parody like the NFL is.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's easily avoided.  Don't sign contracts guaranteeing $30M a year to 38-year-olds.  Manny and Harper will be 34 eight years from now, and with any luck about 80% or 90% as productive as they are now.

It's strange how the owners have picked right now to have their come-to-Jesus moment about 40-year-olds on long-term deals, when Harper and Manny are more-or-less the youngest free agents ever and the most likely to be worth a long deal.

"Collusion"

:):):)

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yankees and Dodgers have always had plenty of money.

Yet other teams have managed to win WS, before the days of the cap.

You do a real cap, and you get parody like the NFL is.

Prior to 2000 the Yanks had a period of dominance based mostly on home grown talent.  The 1998 Orioles had a higher payroll than the Yanks.  Since then they've surged into the $200M+ territory, 50% or more above the average.  That's when the soft cap gained traction.

From 1921-64, before free agency, before the draft, before big media revenues, the Yanks were in the Series half the time.  But they still had more resources mainly because of attendance revenues, and they used that to build up the farm.  Sure, other teams won the Series, but is that really the ratio you want?  The O's have won it three times, the Yanks 28.

Did you mean parity or parody?  Both work about equally well when you're talking about the NFL.

This is one of your fastest replies.  Did you read the recent Steinbrenner interviews? There is one where he mentions the FO had dinner with Manny and his wife and they really liked her. Did you see the word probably in my comments? I used it twice. The Boston part is about their team not their fans and stems from his Oriole days playing against them and the Pedroia  and Sale incidents. He made some comments not favorable about them. Did he say hates?  I don't have time to look for his exact comments and some of them were during radio interviews.  Well ! I finally hit my 2000th post and it[s a response to the only OH member that waits for my comments to dissect them. Thank you !

• Upvote 1