Roll Tide

A trade for Harbaugh....possible? Per Schecter

Harbaugh is an okay coach who depends strongly on his coordinators, creating an up and down competitive cycle as they get picked for head coaching jobs.

That said, there are two coaches in the league I would give the level of power he supposedly wants.  And he is not one of them.

I think getting into the playoffs only boosts his value.  I would look for 3 very high picks for a trade and trust DeCosta can go find another good coach.

3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Joe Theismann had a similar, but, if you can believe it, less severe, leg injury (wasn't compound fracture) and ended up with one leg an inch shorter than the other.  Alex Smith is done as a football player.

I agree with you Tony. 

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

Typically the Ravens promote from within right?    I guess we've only changed head coaches twice in our entire history actually.   Harbaugh came as a "FA" so to speak. 

Tomlin's stock seems pretty low in PIT right now......I think I'd be interested there.  The 'other' Harbaugh I'd be comfortable giving an enormous offer to.

It feels like Harbaugh has a lot of leverage right now......and Idk if the Ravens are going to meet his demands.   Would you?

Who knows if they are all really his demands. I take some of these reports with a grain of salt until something comes from it. If I were negotiating and wanted to get the best offer from my current team I might ask for something I know they will not give me so I can get what I want in another area. It is clear to me that Baltimore will need to pay him as a top coach. Tomlin's deal pays him about what John makes. Reid ($7.5M), Rivera ($7.75M), Peyton ($9M), Carroll ($9M), Gruden ($10M) and Belichick ($10.5M+) all make more than John. If I am his agent I think $9M-$10M is a nice number thanks to the Raiders making a real dumb decision with Gruden.

Coaches may not have all the say when it comes to personnel, but I bet that the guys near and around Harbaugh's success have more insight than what most think or hear about. Look at the "not John's type of guys" cuts from a while back (Pollard, Boldin, McGahee) and you would think that he has even more power now as his contract will expire soon. But if you entertain dealing Harbaugh for picks you best hit on them and find a capable coaching replacement. I can think of a ton of teams that bombed consecutive years worth of high first round picks. The Jaguars, Jets and Ravens come to mind when looking at first round picks dating back to 2010.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I don't expect either to be highly sought after.

Really?  I would think either one would be able to get a job if he wanted.   Obviously McCarthy just had two kinda poor back-to-back seasons in GB but before that he made the playoffs 9 times in 11 seasons.  Does Rodgers get all of the credit for that instead of McCarthy?    Maybe........I admit I'm not super plugged into the Green Bay franchise.  Seems like he must have done something right.

Anyway, not saying that I think he is the best candidate.  Just saying that if Harbaugh gets traded away I think there are options out there.

26 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Really?  I would think either one would be able to get a job if he wanted.   Obviously McCarthy just had two kinda poor back-to-back seasons in GB but before that he made the playoffs 9 times in 11 seasons.  Does Rodgers get all of the credit for that instead of McCarthy?    Maybe........I admit I'm not super plugged into the Green Bay franchise.  Seems like he must have done something right.

Anyway, not saying that I think he is the best candidate.  Just saying that if Harbaugh gets traded away I think there are options out there.

I suspect a lot of coaches look good with a franchise guy like Rodgers. Lewis couldn't win a single playoff game and his teams always seemed to underperform. 

If Im the Ravens and I trade Harbaugh I'd focus on the next John Harbaugh. No one had Harbaugh on their list when the Ravens selected him.

im only moving Harbaugh if he won't extend without personnel control. And then the price is high. I don't know if you can get a Gruden type haul but I'd try.

Finally , I would certainly try t pry Jim out of Michigan. His winnng percentage as an NFL coach is very high and I believe he's a good coach.

1 hour ago, GoldGlove21 said:

Who knows if they are all really his demands. I take some of these reports with a grain of salt until something comes from it. If I were negotiating and wanted to get the best offer from my current team I might ask for something I know they will not give me so I can get what I want in another area. It is clear to me that Baltimore will need to pay him as a top coach. Tomlin's deal pays him about what John makes. Reid ($7.5M), Rivera ($7.75M), Peyton ($9M), Carroll ($9M), Gruden ($10M) and Belichick ($10.5M+) all make more than John. If I am his agent I think $9M-$10M is a nice number thanks to the Raiders making a real dumb decision with Gruden.

Coaches may not have all the say when it comes to personnel, but I bet that the guys near and around Harbaugh's success have more insight than what most think or hear about. Look at the "not John's type of guys" cuts from a while back (Pollard, Boldin, McGahee) and you would think that he has even more power now as his contract will expire soon. But if you entertain dealing Harbaugh for picks you best hit on them and find a capable coaching replacement. I can think of a ton of teams that bombed consecutive years worth of high first round picks. The Jaguars, Jets and Ravens come to mind when looking at first round picks dating back to 2010.

Ravens have never bombed in back to back years of number 1 picks.  And Elam was picked 32nd.  I think the more 1st round picks you can get the better.  5 years of team control and a high selection is something you want more of.  I am not sure what Harbaugh brings to the team anyway other than blowing games by being too conservative with lead.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Ravens have never bombed in back to back years of number 1 picks.  And Elam was picked 32nd.  I think the more 1st round picks you can get the better.  5 years of team control and a high selection is something you want more of.  I am not sure what Harbaugh brings to the team anyway other than blowing games by being too conservative with lead.

He's really good at giving snarky answers to Jerry Coleman questions in press conferences.

22 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

4 teams have fired their coaches: TB, NYJ, CLE, and GB.  DEN, WSH, and CIN could be looking for a new coach as well.  That's the makings of a bidding war.

It's 8 coaches fired now: ARI, CLE, CIN, DEN, GB, MIA, NYJ, TB 

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

It's 8 coaches fired now: ARI, CLE, CIN, DEN, GB, MIA, NYJ, TB 

And so far Miami, Denver, Tampa, and Green Bay are allsaid to have an interest in John.

So the Gruden trade was a ton but looking at the Parcells trade it was for. Picks in rounds 1-4. Id say 2 picks this year and next could be a good get. Take their 2nd and 4th this year and their 1st and 3rd next.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

And so far Miami, Denver, Tampa, and Green Bay are allsaid to have an interest in John.

Really?  I am pretty sure no team is going to openly speak about another team's coach while that coach is still under contract and their season not yet finished.   I would trade Harbaugh for draft picks in a second.  I just don't think it is going to happen. 

With all these coach openings I am worried about losing Wink, especially if the Ravens make a strong run in the playoffs.  I haven't heard his name mentioned yet. We don't want another Pagano situation.  Also, I'd love for the Ravens to look at Gase for OC next year.  Harbaugh was interested in Gase previously but backed off when it became apparent he woulds get a head coaching gig soon. 

13 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Really?  I am pretty sure no team is going to openly speak about another team's coach while that coach is still under contract and their season not yet finished.   I would trade Harbaugh for draft picks in a second.  I just don't think it is going to happen. 

With all these coach openings I am worried about losing Wink, especially if the Ravens make a strong run in the playoffs.  I haven't heard his name mentioned yet. We don't want another Pagano situation.  Also, I'd love for the Ravens to look at Gase for OC next year.  Harbaugh was interested in Gase previously but backed off when it became apparent he woulds get a head coaching gig soon. 

Martindale was mentioned on one of the NFL today shows Sunday.

Adam Schecter reported that a team was going to call the Ravens to make an offer. Jeff Zriebec suggested that is was Tampa Bay who previously paid a ransom for John Gruden. And he was rumored as Denvers plan A ...Google it! 

The reporting is all by reliable media sources.

I also read somewhere that Miami could be interested in a trade for Harbaugh and Flacco.....

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

McCarthy is at the top of a lot of lists.

And considering there are 8 or 9 openings this would be no big deal if true. Was/is he a good coach or was he lucky to have an elite QB. I remember their defenses being pretty crappy the years they were really good.