Jump to content
Roll Tide

A trade for Harbaugh....possible? Per Schecter

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I just don't see Harbaugh getting traded unless he wants out.  He'll get paid here, so the only reason he may want  out is more control.  Is he  really dumb enough to think he can duplicate his success here in some other organization?  All he has to do is look at what his brother Jim went through in San Francisco to realize the grass isn't going to be greener.   The Ravens and John will work something out.  Book it. 

You could be right ...but let me ask you

Tampa Bay who traded an insane amount for Gruden (2 1sts, 1 second, and $8 million) call you the day the Ravens season is over. They offer you:

 

1) 2 #1s for Harbaugh and his 2019 contract. Do you make the deal?

2) They only want to give up 1 #1 so they offer you a deal similar to a #2 and #4 this year and a #1 and #3 next year? (similar to the Parcells deal)

3) They offer you 2 #2 picks

4) They offer you a #1 , #4 and #6

 

Do you make any or all of these deals?

 

Please dont give me the they will never offer that .... I have no idea what they will or wont offer anymore than anyone else. I just want to know what you would do in the scenarios listed and its interesting that while other coaches are setting up interviews and naming candidates Tampa has been relatively quiet.

 

For me

1) Yes

2) Yes (except I try to get the #1 this year to draft Devin White the MLB from LSU)

3) maybe

4) Yes

 

 

Quote

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/LSU_logo.gif

LSU_logo.gif Devin White*, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 236.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.
Projected Round (2019): 1.

12/15/18: White has 115 tackles with 12 for a loss, five passes broken up, three sacks and two forced fumbles in 2018. He has been rock solid for LSU, showing excellent run-defense skills with the ability to contribute in coverage. White is also effective at generating pass pressure when blitzing.

8/29/18: White had an excellent 2017 season, totaling 133 tackles with 14 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, three passes broken up and one interception. White didn't get the attention of other SEC linebackers like Roquan Smith and Rashaan Evans, first-round picks in the 2018 NFL Draft, but that could easily change this fall. Here is how one of the National scouts summarized White.
 
"This kid could end up being similar to Ray Lewis. I'd take White over any of the linebackers this year. He's unbelievable. Unless he gets hurt or completely shuts it down to protect himself, he'll be the first linebacker drafted next year. He's the complete package. Great character. He's the signal-caller of the defense with a super football IQ. He's big, study, and stout enough for Mike - middle linebacker; swift enough for Will - weakside linebacker -, great athlete and coverage instincts. Stacks up the stat boxes, all of them. He's fast, an explosive tackler, and [has] elite reactionary quickness.

"Right now, he's among the best, and maybe the best, I've scouted. Better athlete and versatility than [Dont'a] Hightower. More explosive, violent, and bigger than C.J. Mosley; same level of instincts. Better than Jerod Mayo at Tennessee. Bigger than Jonathan Vilma while being more violent and instinctive than D.J. Williams, same kind of freak athlete explosiveness-wise. [A] thumper like Sean Weatherspoon. Basically, he's a bigger version of Roquan Smith in the 240-250-pound range. He's FUN to watch. Unbelievable stamina and motor. He could be the best linebacker ever to come out of LSU."

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2019ILB.php#MxAlOi3wrE3gljuc.99

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, I'd make one of those deals if I was DeCosta.    However, I realize although many coaches have been traded over the years, has any coach been traded against his will?  Why would Harbaugh want to go to Tampa?   For this trade to work  a) some team has to blow the Ravens away and b) It has to be the right fit for Harbaugh. 

In the end I see all this speculation being a bargaining chip for John, but I doubt anything comes of it.  I am also not sold on Bisciotti wanting to get rid of him.   I think John saved his job with this season's turnaround. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

Sure, I'd make one of those deals if I was DeCosta.    However, I realize although many coaches have been traded over the years, has any coach been traded against his will?  Why would Harbaugh want to go to Tampa?   For this trade to work  a) some team has to blow the Ravens away and b) It has to be the right fit for Harbaugh. 

In the end I see all this speculation being a bargaining chip for John, but I doubt anything comes of it.  I am also not sold on Bisciotti wanting to get rid of him.   I think John saved his job with this season's turnaround. 

 

You may be right ...but Harbaugh would have no say as he's under contract.

Also, if he wasn't personnel control has not getting here in Baltimore and that's  a waist decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
 
 
If the Miami Dolphins covet John Harbaugh for their head coaching job, they will have to wait until the Baltimore Ravens finish their postseason run before engaging in trade talks for the Super Bowl-winning coach.

The Dolphins are expected to gauge the Ravens’ interest in such a deal, which could require as much as two first-round draft picks as compensation, according to a Thursday report by ProFootballTalk, citing a league source.

The Dolphins, who have signaled for a rebuild in 2019, may not be in position to pay such a lofty price tag in future draft picks for Harbaugh, who led the Ravens to a Super Bowl over his brother Jim Harbaugh and the San Francisco 49ers in 2012.

But, the report states the Ravens’ price for such a deal may not be that high.


 

 

The Dolphins owner is a booster at Michigan and obviously favors the Harbaughs.

 

 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-john-harbaugh-20190103-story.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Per Florio

 

Quote

Dolphins mulling trade for Harbaugh

Dolphins Mulling John Harbaugh Trade
Pro Football Rumors | Jan 3
 1  0

 

The Dolphins are mulling a trade for Ravens coach John Harbaugh, a league source tells Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. However, the source adds that the Dolphins will only call the Ravens if they know in advance that the asking price will not be too high. 

Some in league circles believe the Ravens will ask for two first-round picks, Florio hears. Others think the asking price will be lower, though a trade would still presumably still require a forfeiture of draft capital.

Florio speculates that the Dolphins’ move to reassign Mike Tannenbaum and install Chris Grier as the top football operations guy may have been done to attract Harbaugh to Miami. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SouthRider said:

I just don't see Harbaugh getting traded unless he wants out.  He'll get paid here, so the only reason he may want  out is more control.  Is he  really dumb enough to think he can duplicate his success here in some other organization?  All he has to do is look at what his brother Jim went through in San Francisco to realize the grass isn't going to be greener.   The Ravens and John will work something out.  Book it. 

I tend to agree this will be the case.  Unfortunately.  I think I have seen growth from Harbaugh this year, more than in past years, but I still think he is a product of his coordinators.  I think Martindale is good, but I dont want him to be the head coach.  And I think Mornhinweg is passable but not super innovative.  That may change depending on how far they get in the playoffs as they face better defenses and smarter coaches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like John (more as a person than as a coach), but I'd be all over two first rounders, or even a 1st and a 2nd.   Combining this what they can get for Flacco I think DeCosta would be salivating.   

If they do trade John I think that bodes well for the future of the organization. Not because John is a terrible coach. It would just be an extremely ballsy move and I think playing it safe is not the way to win long term.   It would put DeCosta's stamp on this organization and deter a lot this 'Ozzie isn't going anywhere' talk.  New GM. New QB (:Lamar). Perfect timing for a new coach tailored for Lamar ball.  DeCosta will then either be a genius or he'll be Phil Savage.  

In the end though, I see the Ravens holding on to John.   I can see Eisenberg's fluff piece now on how lucky the Ravens are to have him, etc... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SouthRider said:

I like John (more as a person than as a coach), but I'd be all over two first rounders, or even a 1st and a 2nd.   Combining this what they can get for Flacco I think DeCosta would be salivating.   

If they do trade John I think that bodes well for the future of the organization. Not because John is a terrible coach. It would just be an extremely ballsy move and I think playing it safe is not the way to win long term.   It would put DeCosta's stamp on this organization and deter a lot this 'Ozzie isn't going anywhere' talk.  New GM. New QB (:Lamar). Perfect timing for a new coach tailored for Lamar ball.  DeCosta will then either be a genius or he'll be Phil Savage.  

 In the end though, I see the Ravens holding on to John.   I can see Eisenberg's fluff piece now on how lucky the Ravens are to have him, etc... 

I don't think there is a reason to hold onto Harbaugh. He doesn't run the offense or the defense.  And he doesn't seem to have the ability to hire good offensive coordinators.  I would hire a good offensive coordinator as the new Coach and take the picks.  And no matter who the coordinator is once the Ravens get a lead Harbaugh has them be super conservative on offense which lets the other team come back and often leads to defeat.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

I don't think there is a reason to hold onto Harbaugh. He doesn't run the offense or the defense.  And he doesn't seem to have the ability to hire good offensive coordinators.  I would hire a good offensive coordinator as the new Coach and take the picks.  And no matter who the coordinator is once the Ravens get a lead Harbaugh has them be super conservative on offense which lets the other team come back and often leads to defeat.  

I'm not on board with getting rid of him for the sake of getting rid of him, but if we can get a first rounder, send him out. If there were more attractive coaching alternatives on the market right now, I would be more enthusiastic, but I'm not of the belief that Harbaugh is a world-beater of a coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Harbaugh for two first round picks is a no brainer in my opinion. The only question would be who would replace him...

My vote would be for McDaniels. For some reason I feel like DeCosta and McDaniels would be a match made in heaven. I can just see them scheming stuff in the depths of the castle. I wouldnt be opposed to promoting 'Wink' as well...he's really impressed with the defense this year, however OC's are Baltimore's crux and I wouldn't imagine that would be any better with 'Wink' at the helm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 3:06 PM, SouthRider said:

I just don't see Harbaugh getting traded unless he wants out.  He'll get paid here, so the only reason he may want  out is more control.  Is he  really dumb enough to think he can duplicate his success here in some other organization?  All he has to do is look at what his brother Jim went through in San Francisco to realize the grass isn't going to be greener.   The Ravens and John will work something out.  Book it. 

Yeah, this story seems like complete speculation. Nothing is even coming from the Ravens' camp - its just other teams saying they would be interested if he is available.

John's a good coach. The Ravens are a stable franchise. I can't see them parting unless John sees a really intriguing opportunity elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theocean said:

Yeah, this story seems like complete speculation. Nothing is even coming from the Ravens' camp - its just other teams saying they would be interested if he is available.

John's a good coach. The Ravens are a stable franchise. I can't see them parting unless John sees a really intriguing opportunity elsewhere.

Jeff Z from outside reported Tampa as an interested team.

Of course the Ravens aren't saying anything. The Ravens have been asked to name their price through a 3rd party to give Miami an idea of whether to bother or not. 

You can believe the Ravens have had the conversation internally. 

Also we haven't heard anything about the extension...is it because Harbaugh wants GM type control and to be the highest paid coach. 

The Ravens organization are too smart to give a coach GM duties and Harbaugh is a good coach but not elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Jeff Z from outside reported Tampa as an interested team.

 

No, he was just speculating and said they are a possible team to watch because they've traded for a coach before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brian88 said:

No, he was just speculating and said they are a possible team to watch because they've traded for a coach before.

I'd really like it to be Tampa who really hasn't named any potential candidates for their vacancy and have Devin Smith the MLB from LSU that Walter Football is saying has Ray Lewis potential. 

Really the Dolphins seem to be the real player. Their owner has connections to The Harbaughs and is a booster at Michigan. It's rumored that he wants a high profile coach and doesn't want to poach from Michigan. Which obviously makes John his second choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Ravens have “yet to have any dialogue” with Harbaugh about a new contract.  La Canfora writes that the “situation is being watched closely” by other front offices, and that several teams still have hopes of trading for him after the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Houston has also been able to acquire arms late in the draft or cheaply in the international market and develop them into trade assets. I'm prepping for Rule 5 draft stuff and it's unbelievable how many good arms they have in the minors that came out of nowhere (10+ round pick or older international signees). They all throw hard and miss bats. 
    • Hopefully the Nats finish this thing off today.  They have gone I think 81-40 since starting 19-31.  That is remarkable.  The Cardinals do what they always do in October....overachieve.  Thankfully, they are about to get stuffed by the much better team.  This will be a really good WS matchup regardless of who comes out of the AL. 
    • Eh, I don't really buy that in this case.  Liberatore is a lefty, has better mechanics, and more projection remaining, so I think there is a fair case for Liberatore then and now. It's really close though, Rodriguez is the better pitch at the moment, but no one really cares who is the better pitcher at 19 in low A ball. 
    • The old Liberatore vs Rodriguez debate. I think most “experts” will always try and rank Liberatore slightly higher than Rodriguez because they all criticized the O’s for “reaching” for Rodriguez. 
    • Someone pointed out before that Vaughn got pitched around his last year in NCAA. Let’s see what happens to Torkelson when/if he gets that treatment.  I don’t see how we could draft Torkelson.  Even if we trade Mancini, Mountcastle is still likely a 1B.  When team building I don’t think you pencil in your future 1B and DH spots first.   I’d like to see us draft a bat, but if the best SP is available then I’m open to that. I think that bats are safer picks and would help the system more.  Hopefully Detroit makes a mistake at 1:1 and we get the player Elias thinks is #1 overall. Lots of baseball to play till the draft. 
    • HOU got burned with taking Pitchers Appel and Aiken high. HOU has been grow the bats and buy the arms since then. Using their prospect bats to acquire proven SP.  I do think bats are safer picks over pitchers. Last draft we took lots of bats compared to pitchers. It could’ve been lots of factors at play, but I think it was a strategic decision.  Not having the number one pick in next years’ draft means we’ll likely be deciding on the 2nd best SP, Torkelson, or other NCAA and HS bats.    
    • I hope Buck gets the Phillies job. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...