Jump to content
Frobby

O’s claim IF Hanser Alberto from Yankees; DFA Susac

Recommended Posts

I was just perusing Alberto’s AAA stats — in exactly 1000 PA, he was a .309/.330/.438 hitter there.   Granted, it was the PCL.   Interestingly, going into 2019, he didn’t have a track record of killing lefties — in fact, he was a bit of a reverse splits guy.    Really hard to tell what Alberto might do in future seasons.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was just perusing Alberto’s AAA stats — in exactly 1000 PA, he was a .309/.330/.438 hitter there.   Granted, it was the PCL.   Interestingly, going into 2019, he didn’t have a track record of killing lefties — in fact, he was a bit of a reverse splits guy.    Really hard to tell what Alberto might do in future seasons.   

Frobby....I know the PCL stats are out of whack for power hitters. But are the numbers really skewed for singles/doubles guys like Alberto?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Frobby....I know the PCL stats are out of whack for power hitters. But are the numbers really skewed for singles/doubles guys like Alberto? The

It’s a good question.   As you can see, Alberto’s ISO was higher in the  PCL than it is in the majors this year, which is almost certainly a PCL effect.   And I do think BA’s tend to increase at elevation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a good question.   As you can see, Alberto’s ISO was higher in the  PCL than it is in the majors this year, which is almost certainly a PCL effect.   And I do think BA’s tend to increase at elevation.  

Not saying that I disagree....but how much can it really affect a line drive.

for example, I've played golf all over the US. Due to too many years as a baseball/softball player, I tend to have a pretty flat drive compared to others. 10-12 feet in elevation by my estimation and very hard. It's great for most everything except the 5 pars that have a long distance to the fairway from the tee box. The best part is my ball doesn't get caught up in the wind, slice, and or curve off the fairway.

If the stats say the PCL is different for him fine.... Looking at his 2018 season at AAA, he has nearly the same number of ABs (he has 9 less), that includes 4 doubles, 2 triples, and 1  Home Run. He also batted .330 versus .317.

But, isn't it fair to say that the difference is not very much. And some of it can be attributed to the difference between AAA and MLB pitching?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a good question.   As you can see, Alberto’s ISO was higher in the  PCL than it is in the majors this year, which is almost certainly a PCL effect.   And I do think BA’s tend to increase at elevation.  

 

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Not saying that I disagree....but how much can it really affect a line drive.

for example, I've played golf all over the US. Due to too many years as a baseball/softball player, I tend to have a pretty flat drive compared to others. 10-12 feet in elevation by my estimation and very hard. It's great for most everything except the 5 pars that have a long distance to the fairway from the tee box. The best part is my ball doesn't get caught up in the wind, slice, and or curve off the fairway.

If the stats say the PCL is different for him fine.... Looking at his 2018 season at AAA, he has nearly the same number of ABs (he has 9 less), that includes 4 doubles, 2 triples, and 1  Home Run. He also batted .330 versus .317.

But, isn't it fair to say that the difference is not very much. And some of it can be attributed to the difference between AAA and MLB pitching?

You also have to consider that high altitude parks may have larger dimensions which should lead to a higher BA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

 

You also have to consider that high altitude parks may have larger dimensions which should lead to a higher BA.

I don’t disagree. But I don’t think it helps a hitter like Alberto nearly as much as Power hitters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t disagree. But I don’t think it helps a hitter like Alberto nearly as much as Power hitters

I agree with you.   But it does help them, for the reason Coc gave.   At some point I may try to pull some data, but it would take a bit of work.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you.   But it does help them, for the reason Coc gave.   At some point I may try to pull some data, but it would take a bit of work.   

I wouldn't want to put you through it. It is a nice discussion topic. Thanks for engaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.321 AVG after the doubleheader. Lamahieu has been feasting off O’s pitching and is up to .339, but Alberto has been crushing it as well. .769 OPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Alberto is 3rd in the AL in Batting Avg. And only 2 points behind second. But you know, now days Batting Avg is an old fashioned stat anymore that is meaningless...

1. LeMahieu  NYY .338
2. Brantley  HOU .323
3. Alberto  BAL .321

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Natty said:

 Alberto is 3rd in the AL in Batting Avg. And only 2 points behind second. But you know, now days Batting Avg is an old fashioned stat anymore that is meaningless...

1. LeMahieu  NYY .338
2. Brantley  HOU .323
3. Alberto  BAL .321

 

I almost never agree when a long-established stat is called “meaningless.”   It’s like calling an old-style toaster “useless” because they now have multi-function toaster ovens.    But if what you want is toast, the old toaster still serves its function quite well.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much will arbitration say he is worth? Will the O's dump him because he won't be minimum wage? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I almost never agree when a long-established stat is called “meaningless.”   It’s like calling an old-style toaster “useless” because they now have multi-function toaster ovens.    But if what you want is toast, the old toaster still serves its function quite well.   

You missed my sarcasm in that post. My bad for not expressing it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...