Sign in to follow this  
The Goob

Brandon Hyde Article on The Athletic

For anyone who has a subscription this article by Dan Connolly is a really great read.  Great insights about Hyde and his time in baseball.  Really makes you want to root for his success even more.

https://theathletic.com/771822/2019/01/17/o-my-how-brandon-hydes-long-unassuming-climb-up-the-baseball-rungs-led-him-to-become-the-orioles-manager/ 

• Upvote 2

Better to read the article.   The guy is a baseball lifer since four.  Climbed the ladder a rung at a time.  A real 'do the work, play the right way, no shortcuts' kind of guy.  Natural leader.  Will have to see what kind of manager he is, but very good guy to give this opportunity to.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Better to read the article.   The guy is a baseball lifer since four.  Climbed the ladder a rung at a time.  A real 'do the work, play the right way, no shortcuts' kind of guy.  Natural leader.  Will have to see what kind of manager he is, but very good guy to give this opportunity to.

Know what?  They're all like this.  All these guys are baseball lifers, all of them have climbed the ladder.  

I'm not saying I don't like Brandon Hyde because he hasn't given me a reason to NOT like him, but these warm fuzzy articles always get written about every new managing hire.  Especially a guy like this who's got a first chance to run a team.  

I'm not saying that he wasn't a good guy to give the opportunity to, it's just that these articles are a dime a dozen.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Know what?  They're all like this.  All these guys are baseball lifers, all of them have climbed the ladder.  

I'm not saying I don't like Brandon Hyde because he hasn't given me a reason to NOT like him, but these warm fuzzy articles always get written about every new managing hire.  Especially a guy like this who's got a first chance to run a team.  

I'm not saying that he wasn't a good guy to give the opportunity to, it's just that these articles are a dime a dozen.

I strongly agree with this post. I enjoy these articles because they typically provide more information about the person's experiences, but the warm-and-fuzzy aspects are written about almost every hire. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/alex-cora-introduced-as-red-sox-manager/c-260718094  

"I've known A.J. for a long time, and he told me, 'So with Alex, just remember, he's baseball, he's baseball 24/7," said Dombrowski. "He said, 'I'll get a text at 11 o'clock at night, "Did you see the pickoff move on such-and-such? I'm watching this, we got to pay attention, it might help us win a ballgame tomorrow."' So he embraces it. And I think that that's very important. And so for me, not everybody does that.

🙄

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25054877/new-manager-david-bell-tasked-turning-cincinnati-reds

The Reds started his managing career. Bell played 12 seasons in the majors with the Indians, Cardinals, Mariners, Giants, Phillies and Brewers. When he retired, the Reds offered him a chance to manage at Double-A. Bell quickly decided that's what he wanted to do next.

"Right away, I fell in love with it," Bell said.

Here's an article about the guy that got fired from the Reds last summer, Bryan Price, back when he was hired before the '14 season:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/reds/2013/10/21/bryan-price-cincinnati-reds-manager-dusty-baker/3147521/

"I think he'd be unbelievable," Bronson Arroyo said when asked about Price as manager. "He's as organized as anyone in the game, he holds people as accountable as well as anyone I've seen. He doesn't buy into stereotypical things in the game, things that other people buy into that I don't feel are relevant. Price looks at evidence. He's a freaking smart guy, he makes his decision on reasonable evidence. Sometimes in baseball we go by hunches, what someone else said or they way things have gone in the past. He doesn't do that."

I mean, you could swap in Brandon Hyde for that comment.

Mickey Callaway:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mickey-callaway-introduced-as-mets-manager/c-259429258

Mickey Callaway first became a coach in 2008, at age 33, when he was hired at tiny Division III Texas A&M International University. Fresh off Tommy John surgery and three seasons pitching in Korea, Callaway's Major League dreams remained alive, as he intended to keep pitching in the Majors. But first he needed a job, a place to tend to a new goal which was evolving, unbeknownst to him, by the day.

"I think I got to play for a half season after that, and quite frankly, it was hard to concentrate on playing after that feeling," Callaway said. "Right away, just leading that group of young people, I knew that this is what I wanted to do."

Zoooomg, I fell in love with coaching!!!!! ITS MY LIFE CALLINGGG!!!!11111

Often during Monday's introductory press conference, Alderson pointed to Callaway's recent work in Cleveland, where he headed baseball's best pitching staff in 2017. In five years as the Indians' pitching coach, Callaway helped turn Corey Kluber into an American League Cy Young Award winner, and Cleveland into a perennial contender behind a staff of talented hurlers.

Callaway said that he teared up when informing his pitchers he'd be leaving Cleveland, where his coaching career caught fire under the tutelage of Terry Francona.

"I cared so much about them and who they are as people that it was a very difficult decision, and that was probably the hardest part of this whole decision," said Callaway. He also hinted at his plans to join a front office, saying, "Someday I'd love to be where Sandy is, at some point way, way in the future."

CLIMBED UP THE LADDER THE RIGHT WAY!!!!!!

Dave Martinez, Nationals:

He played for 16 seasons as a Major League outfielder and has spent the past 10 seasons as the bench coach for Joe Maddon with the Rays and Cubs. So, despite his lack of managerial experience, Martinez is highly regarded in MLB circles for his ability to foster relationships with players, to deal in analytics and for his role under Maddon, who has groomed him for a managerial job through the years

Hyde is highly regarded in MLB circles for his ability to foster relationships with players, to deal in analytics and for his role under Maddon, who has groomed him for a managerial job through the years

I mean, you can easily swap in Hyde's name right there.  It's like writers have these pre-written and you just swap out a name.

"I am excited to bring Dave into our family," president of baseball operations and general manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement. "As we went through this process it became clear the type of manager we were looking for -- someone who is progressive, someone who can connect with and communicate well with our players and someone who embraces the analytical side of the game. We came away from the process feeling like there was absolutely no one better suited -- who matched up to what this organization needs right now -- than Dave."

Yeah, Rizzo?  How's that working out for you now?

Torey Lovullo:

https://www.mlb.com/news/d-backs-name-torey-lovullo-manager/c-208129626

If you talk to people in the game about new D-backs manager Torey Lovullo, one of the first things they will tell you about is his ability to relate to players.

The importance of that skill was recently reinforced with the World Series matchup between the Cubs' Joe Maddon and the Indians' Terry Francona, both regarded among the best at being able to get their players to perform at their best.

"Some of the things we were drawn to with Torey is an ability to connect with people, his communication style, his role as a teacher -- through all his experiences in the Minor and Major Leagues -- led us to this time where we felt like he was the absolute right choice," general manager Mike Hazen said.

Wow, he can relate to players.  ITS THE SAME THING THE NATS SAID ABOUT MARTINEZ.

Gabe Kapler, Phillies:

https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-name-gabe-kapler-manager/c-260042954

"Gabe has a track record of leadership, winning, progressive thinking and working with young players, and we fully believe that he is the right person to guide this organization into the future," Klentak said in a statement.

Kapler is a progressive thinker. He has written for Baseball Prospectus, a sabermetric website, and there's no question the next Phillies manager had to embrace and be willing to implement analytics into his decision-making, both on and off the field. The Phillies have invested heavily the past two years into analytics.

Forward thinking!  Progressive!

Look at any article that talks about a new manager hire and they're all.  the.  same.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

You guys are so negative. I get so tired of the negativity. I am glad that Brandon is the manager. I know he will work his tail off and do his very best. That is all that we can ask for.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

They are not all baseball lifers - at least in the sense of guys who learn every aspect of the game, but fall well short of any meaningful major league stint.  This guy is no Paul Molitor or Robin Ventura or Joe Girardi.  This is a guy who could have decided not to pursue a life in baseball after college - perhaps get serious about a job, a life and start a family.  So, no, they are not all like this - not even close.  

Is this a fluff piece?  Absolutely.  Does Hyde seem like a good guy to cheer for?  Absolutely.  Did I post that we will have to see if he actually is a good ML manager?  Yes I did.  

• Upvote 3

"at least in the sense of guys who learn every aspect of the game, but fall well short of any meaningful major league stint" - I swear trolls here just like to see themselves post instead of actually reading someone else's post.  Unbelievable. 

Such a great community most of the time - a place not worth posting an opinion a small portion of the time.

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

"at least in the sense of guys who learn every aspect of the game, but fall well short of any meaningful major league stint" - I swear trolls here just like to see themselves post instead of actually reading someone else's post.  Unbelievable. 

Such a great community most of the time - a place not worth posting an opinion a small portion of the time.

Ooooooooo!  Show your teeth, I like it.  Nothing like getting snippy on a message board because someone disagreed with your take of what a "baseball lifer" or felt like your post didn't get read.  

I mean, if you're gonna move the goalpost of what a baseball lifer means and come up with your own definition....sure, you're right.  But I think the term "baseball lifer" means anyone who has spent the adult portion of their life in the game.  Hall of Famer or role player like Girardi turned manager vs. someone who made it to AAA and then turned into a minor league manager and climbed up...semantics, IMO.  Sure, one had an easier path but that doesn't mean they didn't spend a lifetime around the game.

Moose, you can keep posting your drivel.  I think the qualification on the term "baseball lifer" in my first post can be understood by those with the most basic reading comprehension skills. 

Even after making the point a second time, you press on. 

You can outpost me if you want - not a big deal to me.  I can't help your reading comprehension, however.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The term "good baseball man" has always made me laugh, too. Like, what does that even mean!?

• Upvote 2

On 1/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

You guys are so negative. I get so tired of the negativity. I am glad that Brandon is the manager. I know he will work his tail off and do his very best. That is all that we can ask for.

This. 👆

A never-ending cycle of finding *something* to complain about. 

I wish the man the best of luck. 

MSK 

• Upvote 3