OrioleDog

Wieters and Rutschman

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

Does it bother anyone else that Vaughn is only 5’11”? You just don’t see a lot of 1b at that height.

Steve Pearce is listed at 5'11 (I have my doubts that he is taller than 5'10) and plays a lot of first base.  Rafael Palmeiro was only six feet.  

I don't think being especially tall is that much of a benefit for a first baseman.  I just think you see a lot of tall guys there because big lumbering dudes don't have anywhere else they can play and your players with smaller builds are typically more viable at other places around the diamond. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

Steve Pearce is listed at 5'11 (I have my doubts that he is taller than 5'10) and plays a lot of first base.  Rafael Palmeiro was only six feet.  

I don't think being especially tall is that much of a benefit for a first baseman.  I just think you see a lot of tall guys there because big lumbering dudes don't have anywhere else they can play and your players with smaller builds are typically more viable at other places around the diamond. 

Gives them more range to pick errant throws and stay on the bag.

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Defensively I don’t think the height is that big of a deal. But what 1b has been under 6 feet and been a middle of the order bat? Not saying he can’t do it, I’m just coming up blank on guys who have.

1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

Defensively I don’t think the height is that big of a deal. But what 1b has been under 6 feet and been a middle of the order bat? Not saying he can’t do it, I’m just coming up blank on guys who have.

It’s not a profile scouts like, short (for baseball), R/R, mature bodied, 1B.

5-10 years ago he’s a dude who might slip to the back of the 1st or later. 

The issue is there isn’t much room for error in the profile. If it’s just average hit, average game power, that’s not even a MLB regular. It’s Christian Walker. Even if it’s 55 hit 55 game power, that’s just an average regular at 1B.

So everything is riding on the bat. The bat is superb though and the predictive value of big conference college stats is accepted now so he’ll probably go in the top 5. I think it’s a pretty safe 6 game power, 6 hit. So a less athletic, inferior glove Mountcastle with better plate discipline.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s not a profile scouts like, short (for baseball), R/R, mature bodied, 1B.

5-10 years ago he’s a dude who might slip to the back of the 1st or later. 

The issue is there isn’t much room for error in the profile. If it’s just average hit, average game power, that’s not even a MLB regular. It’s Christian Walker. Even if it’s 55 hit 55 game power, that’s just an average regular at 1B.

So everything is riding on the bat. The bat is superb though and the predictive value of big conference college stats is accepted now so he’ll probably go in the top 5. I think it’s a pretty safe 6 game power, 6 hit. So a less athletic, inferior glove Mountcastle with better plate discipline.

Yea I just don’t see it at 1-1. Lack of athleticism, small, maxed out physically. 

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Gives them more range to pick errant throws and stay on the bag.

Sure, I just think at the end of the day a couple inches on a stretch glove matters less than other skills that make a good first baseman like reaction time and ability to pick it.  

10 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Steve Garvey.   

Vaughn went 7-13 with 4 HR this weekend, including an opposite field grand slam.  On the season, Vaughn is 18-34, .529/.680/.1.176 (1.856 OPS) with seven home runs, 18 RBI, 15 walks, a HBP and five strikeouts.

Updated stats over a 3 game weekend vs. West Virginia - 2-10 with 3 runs, his 5th HR, 3bb, 3K

Player                        avg  gp-gs  ab r     h   2b  3b   hr    rbi   tb    slg%   bb  hp  so   gdp   ob% 

Rutschman, Adley . 343  11-11 35 14  12 1     0     5     12   28   .800   15   0     8      2    .540 

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:28 AM, Frobby said:

Steve Garvey.   

Speaking of Garvey, can they catch a throwing like him?

• Haha 2

On 2/26/2019 at 6:38 PM, calsmanystances said:

Just wanted to point out what Andrew Vaughn, the 1B from Cal (the Pac-12, same conference as Rutschman) has accomplished and is currently doing.

In 2017, as a freshman, Vaughn stats were: .349, .414 OBP and .555 SLG (.969 OPS.]

Last year, Vaughn won the Golden Spikes award. His stats were insane.

.402 average, .531 OBP and. 819 SLG (1.350 OPS). Oh, he also had 23 HR 44 Walks and 18 K's. That's right, he not only walked almost 2.5 times for each K, he also had more HR's than K's.

This season, Vaughn is putting up even better numbers. In 11 games, he's 11-21 (.524), 3 HR, 9 RBI, 14 walks and 3 K's. .714 OBP and 1.000 SLG (1.714 OPS). 

His college numbers dwarf those of Kris Bryant and Paul Goldschmidt. I understand that C has more value than 1B, but C also has a shorter life span. Vaughn deserves consideration at 1-1.

Haven't been able to listen yet, but I see Baseball America has as today's podcast topic if Vaughn is indeed a candidate for the #1 pick.

Rutschman HR again. 

Oregon State had runner on 1B and then errant pick off throw put runner at 2nd. Then he went deep. 

The podcast highlighted how Vaughn's numbers exceed even Kris Bryant's, and greatly exceed Bregman and Senzel's among recent NCAA hitters of great repute.  They specifically mentioned how odd he'd be for the Orioles given our spot in the cycle - some scouts think he'll break in next year.

I guess college baseball is a bit like hoops where the early non-conference schedule can be soft, so while they paid some respect to who Cal has played, they were also highlighting the next few weeks as the competition picks up.

I hadn't realized how pitching poor this year's lot is - the report was the top 10 are all hitters.

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The podcast highlighted how Vaughn's numbers exceed even Kris Bryant's, and greatly exceed Bregman and Senzel's among recent NCAA hitters of great repute.  They specifically mentioned how odd he'd be for the Orioles given our spot in the cycle - some scouts think he'll break in next year.

I guess college baseball is a bit like hoops where the early non-conference schedule can be soft, so while they paid some respect to who Cal has played, they were also highlighting the next few weeks as the competition picks up.

I hadn't realized how pitching poor this year's lot is - the report was the top 10 are all hitters.

No one has hit like Vaughn in Pac-12 history, period. If you look in other major conferences, the guys who put up similar numbers in the SEC include Matt LaPorta, Gordon Beckham, Kent Matthes, and Brett Rooker. But that's those guys' junior or senior year compared to Vaughn's sophomore season. I'd expect even better from Vaughn this year, but if you look at the names of the 1B types with the 1.300, 1.400 OPS in major conferences, it's not a good track record in pro ball. Bren Spillane of Illinois out hit Vaughn last year (albeit in a weaker conference) and lasted til the 3rd round. I'm not saying Vaughn is like those guys, he's a break the mold type, the bat is electric, plate discipline absurd. It's just hard to put him over a guy who'd be a 55 glove pro catcher right now who also has an amazing bat and had the 4th best Pac-12 OPS in the last 15 years as a sophomore and has improved noticeably. 

The pitching class is interesting, but doesn't have nearly the track record of this classes' bats. There are a number of small school arms and converted relievers who are very interesting. I don't know how highly any of them go because of lack of track record, but there are some exciting arms. 

My favorite who I've wrote about in my draft musings thread is Seth Johnson. He's a converted junior college shortstop who has only pitched like 20 innings total, but sits 95 easy and has three MLB quality secondary pitches along with perhaps the best mechanics in the draft. He's a guy that if there was a track record, he'd be in the conversation for the top 5 picks. It's Casey Mize stuff with a better delivery and without the injury history, but without the polished pitchability obviously. 

• Upvote 2

For some reason when I think of Vaughn I remember how the Reds dangled Joey Votto to us in a proposed Bedard trade.    At the time Votto was considered at most the third best Reds prospect, behind Jay Bruce (ranked the no. 1 prospect in MLB) and Johnny Cueto.     Votto was seen as a good hitter, but one dimensional.    But what a dimension!

I still prefer Rutschman, but it’ll be really annoying if we pass over Rutschman and Vaughn turns out to be Votto.