Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Baseball Prospectus Top 101 and Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

Just now, TheOtherRipken said:

Wow that’s a lot higher for Mountcastle than I would have expected, good stuff though. 

It's high than I'd have him or Diaz too. I haven't tried to put my own together but my feeling is I'd have Mountcastle and Diaz in the 60s and Hall in the 70-80 range. 

I like a lot of this list. I love Adell over Robles and the bullish Hiura, Whitley, and Luzardo rankings. I'd have Franco in the top 3 though and I think they are too bullish on some of the 2018 draft picks and they really whiffed on Issac Paredes IMO, who'd be in my top 40. 

I really Love Grayson Rodriguez even more so than Hall. I think he’s got a great make up. I was thinking  he would make it but shows how little I know.

4 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I really Love Grayson Rodriguez even more so than Hall. I think he’s got a great make up. I was thinking  he would make it but shows how little I know.

He could easily make it next year, I like him more than some of the 2018 draftees who made the BP list. It really comes down to where his velocity sits on a pro schedule. If it's 94-96, he's a top 100 guy no problem. If it's more like 92-94, then he'd really have to dominate, develop his changeup to make it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

He could easily make it next year, I like him more than some of the 2018 draftees who made the BP list. It really comes down to where his velocity sits on a pro schedule. If it's 94-96, he's a top 100 guy no problem. If it's more like 92-94, then he'd really have to dominate, develop his changeup to make it. 

Gotcha. I take it his FB was sitting 92-94 last year? He is young so I’m sure the hope is that has he gained strength that his velocity will tick up.

3 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Gotcha. I take it his FB was sitting 92-94 last year? He is young so I’m sure the hope is that has he gained strength that his velocity will tick up.

Yeah, that's where he was in his pro ball, but he may have been holding back some, the delivery looked lower effort than in pre-draft video. He threw a lot this spring and had time off afterwards, so it'd make since for the O's to have him tone it down in his debut. He was sitting mid-90s some HS starts. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If you look at the top LHP prospect on this list, Jesus Luzardo, you'll get an idea.

Luzardo has a similar FB, t98, sitting 93-95. He's a similar build, maybe DL Hall with an additional year of muscle and maturity. Hall is almost exactly a year younger. Luzardo has an average CB that flashes above avg, Hall has an above avg CB that flashes plus to double plus. Luzardo has a plus changeup that flashes double plus, Hall has an avg changeup that flashes plus. You could make a pretty good argument that Hall has or will have slightly better stuff.

The big difference is that Luzardo is a above avg command guy and Hall is fringe average at best currently. That's a 40/45 for Hall and a 55 for Luzardo and that makes a big difference in how they profile. Now Hall is very athletic and if he gets close to his command ceiling and holds his stuff, then he's a surefire top 30 prospect.

So do you think Hall starts out in Frederick? Would like to see him pitch. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

So do you think Hall starts out in Frederick? Would like to see him pitch. 

Almost definitely starts there, I think he is in Bowie after the all-star break if he preforms well. 

I know the Red Sox do this, if I am the Orioles I try to play a minor league game or two at Camden Yards. I know it is not like the affiliates are far away but it would be a good way to promote the organization. It makes too much sense not to do it.  

• Upvote 2

Interesting to see Victor Victor Mesa on this list at 71.  Based on the time spent on this board talking about him and the let down when he was lost you would have thought he was a top 20 prospect.  Not saying he was ever that guy just gives some interesting perspective to the angst he created on this forum.

2 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Interesting to see Victor Victor Mesa on this list at 71.  Based on the time spent on this board talking about him and the let down when he was lost you would have thought he was a top 20 prospect.  Not saying he was ever that guy just gives some interesting perspective to the angst he created on this forum.

I considered him a borderline top 100 type and if I remember correctly, I wrote that on these boards.