Redskins Rick

2019 - Washington Redskins

2 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

I am all in on this draft. Not one “bad” pick IMO. Some real steals. Love the trade up to get Sweat even if we have Indy a little too much pick value back. He’s the type of impact pass rusher that we will need with Smith gone and Kerrigan getting older. 

Signed some good UDFAs as well. The Michigan OT being one to watch. 

I think it's fair to question the Love, Miller, and Holecomb picks because they went way higher than expected and Love is hurt. However, Dr Andrews did Love's surgery so they are well informed on that.  If Miller or Holecomb hit, they'll need to promote Smith before they lose him.

I think you may be right on the UDFA OT. They still need a swing tackle and he could compete for that.

33 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Do you have any opinion on McLaurin?  I've been reading up on him and really like what I hear.  He's dedicated to blocking in the run game and is a beast on special teams.  That gives a team great flexibility when deciding who is active on Sundays.

I’ll be honest, OSU spread the ball around so much that no one receiver really created a big impression on me.    Just looking at the team stats, McLaurin was fourth on the team in receptions, but had the highest yards per catch (20.0) and was second in TD’s (11 of the 50 Haskins threw).   So obviously, he’s a deep threat.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:19 AM, Frobby said:

Fair assessment. I grew up rooting for Ohio State (both my parents went there) and I saw a lot of Haskins this year. He was probably the most accurate thrower and worst runner of any Ohio State QB in the last decade. He has a good ability to get zip on this throws, even when he cant bring his arm all the way back due to pressure or throwing on the move. He's a good kid, and a leader. You never know how a QB who plays behind a great line and has receivers wide open will do when he is faced with a lot more pressure and narrow throwing windows, but I think that hes got a chance to be very good.  

o

Image result for Archie Griffin 1973

o

8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Image result for Archie Griffin 1973

o

Is that Archie Griffin?   I’ve only been to two Ohio State games, one of which was in 1973 (I was 16) at my Dad’s 20th law school reunion. It was the opening game of the year, won by Ohio State 56-7 over Minnesota.   Archie had 249 total yards, including a 93-yard kickoff return following the Gopher’s lone touchdown.  Absolutely fabulous college player.    

My second game was just 3 years ago, when Ohio State beat Penn State 63-14.   Like the other game, a 49-point margin.    I told my brother (who attended both games with me) “well, I guess they met par.”

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is that Archie Griffin? Ive only been to two Ohio State games, one of which was in 1973 (when I was 16) at my Dads 20th law school reunion. It was the opening game of the year, and Ohio State won by a score of 56-7 over Minnesota. Archie had 249 total yards, including a 93-yard kickoff return following the Golden Gophers' lone touchdown. Griffin was an absolutely fabulous college player.    

My second game was just 3 years ago, when Ohio State beat Penn State by a score of 63-14. As was the case in the other game, it was a 49-point margin of victory for the Buckeyes. I told my brother (who attended both games with me), Well, I guess they met par.

o

Yes, it's him.

When Griffin was a Freshman the year before (the Fall of 1972), he was able to play varsity football because that was the first year that the NCAA deemed them (Freshmen) to be eligible to play ........ prior to that, you couldn't play varsity college sports until you were a sophomore, which is why players such as Pete Maravich and Lew Alcindor had to wait a full year to play on the varsity team after they finished high school.

These days, you can hardly get the star players to play BEYOND their freshman year in basketball and their red-shirt sophomore year in football, let alone expect them to wait a full season to play varsity sports after finishing high school.

o

August 2 stab at the 53:

Keenum, McCoy, Haskins (3)

Peterson, Guice, Thompson, Perine (4)

Reed, Davis, Sprinkle (3)

Richardson, Quinn, Doctson, Simms, McLauren, Harmon (6)

Penn, Martin, Roulier, Scherff, Moses, Flowers, Christian, Pierschbacher, Thornton (9) — 25

Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Settle, Brantley, Wicker (6)

Kerrigan, Bostic, Dion Hamilton, Sweat, Anderson, Holcomb, Harvey-Clemons, Brailford, Flowers (9)

Norman, Morneau, Dunbar, Moreland, Alexander, Stroman (6)

Collins, Nicholson, Everett, Apke (4)-25

Sundberg, Way, Hopkins (3)

Season opener Sunday vs Philly. We are huge underdogs, expectedly. Defense should be even more improved but I fear our lack of O line and WRs, not to mention QB, will lead to the defense being taxed too much since I do not feel the offense is capable of staying on the field for very long. If the line comes together and we can control the clock with the run game, then maybe my opinion changes.

I’m still optimistic for the future - another season or two - but this season if we go 6-10, I think that’s doing pretty well. 4-12 might be a more reasonable expectation.

I hope that they are smart enough to keep Haskins on the sidelines this entire season so that he can grow and learn. We’ve seen that can happen when you bring rookie QBs on the field too soon. It lols their development. The Skins can not afford to take that kind of gamble. HTTR. 

I see a win total line at 6 (+121).  I’ll take the over on that.   The beginning of the season is tough, the middle is pretty soft.  They could start off 0-5, and still end up with 7 wins, IMO.

i wouldn’t be afraid of playing Haskins if the line is holding up.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:33 AM, backwardsk said:

I see a win total line at 6 (+121).  I’ll take the over on that.   The beginning of the season is tough, the middle is pretty soft.  They could start off 0-5, and still end up with 7 wins, IMO.

i wouldn’t be afraid of playing Haskins if the line is holding up.

You just about say that for every NFL team.

These guys are so massive, it puts so much pressure on their knees and ankles, not to mention freak accidents like somebody falling on the back of your leg.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You just about say that for every NFL team.

These guys are so massive, it puts so much pressure on their knees and ankles, not to mention freak accidents like somebody falling on the back of your leg.

Exactly and with our team total injury history, it’s hard to remain optimistic.  We’re already essentially down 1+ man with Trent’s situation. So not off to the best start there. 

14 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Exactly and with our team total injury history, it’s hard to remain optimistic.  We’re already essentially down 1+ man with Trent’s situation. So not off to the best start there. 

Football is a hard game, many a team around the league are hurt by the injury bug every year.

Yes, it seams this team is plague, but I wonder, if some of that is perception, because this is our team, and we followed it 100x more than the other teams.

39 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

What do y'all predict for Guice this year? Will he be the RB1?

Gruden has basically said as much.  I would not be surprised to see Peterson leave during the season.

I’m excited to see what they have in Guice.

Just now, backwardsk said:

Gruden has basically said as much.  I would not be surprised to see Peterson leave during the season.

I’m excited to see what they have in Guice.

I think Peterson still have game left.

I think there could be enough carries, if both were healthy and having a good game.

2 different style runners, to keep the defenses from zeroing in on one, and this will open the passing lanes.