Sign in to follow this  
Legend_Of_Joey

Nationals Announce "No Backpacks In The Ballpark" Policy

https://curlyw.mlblogs.com/washington-nationals-announce-new-backpack-policy-b520449473c1

Exceptions will be made for purses, family bags and medical related stuff.

Great idea Washington. It's not like most of your fans are coming from work and have a backpack for work related reasons, or families who are going to a game after sight seeing all day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the best way to target lessened attendance is to follow the paths of the Nats and the Rays and offer your customers fewer options.

I feel like both teams literally are saying "what, are you REALLY going to see the other team nearby?"

Stupid idea. I always bring a backpack to the game. It’s where I keep my program, glove, water, & sometimes we get cheaper food from the tailgate area.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I feel like both teams literally are saying "what, are you REALLY going to see the other team nearby?"

The Rays don't have another team nearby.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Rays don't have another team nearby.

You mean Miami isn't just up the street from Tampa? Man, I thought Florida was only a couple of blocks...

How much "stuff" do you really need to take to a ballgame that won't fit into a soft bag that  measures 16"x16"x8" (which is the permitted size)?  We have an insulated bag that measures 15"x10"x8".  It has handles and a shoulder strap and it easily holds 6 cans or plastic bottles, sandwiches, chips, fruit and more.  If you're taking bottled water to a game, freeze it the night before.  It will keep your "stuff" cold in the bag.  It stows easily under the seat and nobody is tripping over it when navigating through the seating walkways.

11 minutes ago, SeaBird said:

How much "stuff" do you really need to take to a ballgame that won't fit into a soft bag that  measures 16"x16"x8" (which is the permitted size)?  We have an insulated bag that measures 15"x10"x8".  It has handles and a shoulder strap and it easily holds 6 cans or plastic bottles, sandwiches, chips, fruit and more.  If you're taking bottled water to a game, freeze it the night before.  It will keep your "stuff" cold in the bag.  It stows easily under the seat and nobody is tripping over it when navigating through the seating walkways.

First thing that comes to my mind is what if you have children too old to necessitate a diaper bag but not old enough to stay entertained by three hours of baseball?

5 hours ago, SeaBird said:

The main issue is the DC people who were coming straight from work and had their backpacks with work stuff/laptops/whatever.

I have a backpack because I usually have a hoodie or jacket inside for when it cools down, a glove since I usually go for batting practice (beats sitting in traffic), sunglasses case, portable phone charger and cables, a few pens and small notepad, sunscreen, a stuffed animal from the wife (long, long story) and a few other things. Plus with a backpack, I'm more inclined to want to buy a souvenir or something since I have something to put that item in.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

First thing that comes to my mind is what if you have children too old to necessitate a diaper bag but not old enough to stay entertained by three hours of baseball?

Or, based on the way so many people online are whining about the Orioles, what if an adult can't stay entertained by the game?

It’s ironic that the O’s literally had a backpack cooler giveaway last season.    Apparently they’re not too worried about backpacks.   

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s ironic that the O’s literally had a backpack cooler giveaway last season.    Apparently they’re not too worried about backpacks.   

The Nats new policy only prohits backbacks, not diaperbag, purses and  coolers.

Permitted Bags:

All purses, bags (excluding backpacks (except as provided herein)), drawstring bags, diaper bags and soft-sided coolers that do not exceed 16"x16"x8"

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/ballpark/information/bag-policy