Jump to content
Diehard_O's_Fan

MLB and Union talk major rule changes

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

The rules need to be changed so the plan doesn't work anymore.  It is bad for the game.  Attendance is down around the league and will keep going down with more teams doing this.  And if half the league tries to lose  on purpose the Astro's plan won't even work anymore. 

What team’s coaches are actively trying to lose in baseball? What you’re talking about is changes at the organizational level and I’m against any change that limits a team’s self-determination.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manfred.  Seems to have ruining the game as his number one goal. Almost everything he has proposed has made the game worse, and there are a lot of things we could do that would make the game better.  Among other things, we have become accustomed to challenges, but I think we’re still aware of how ridiculous they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ripken said:

I certainly think they should unify the DH rule to both leagues or neither.  26th man makes a lot of sense.  Single trade deadline would be better.  20 second pitch clock is good.

I wouldn't change the mound.  I would not change the draft as suggested though I support allowing the trade of draft picks (like every other sport).  You really can't have a min batter rule IMO.  For what it's worth I don't care where the 7 fielders stand either, i.e., learn to adjust to the shift.

Yeah I am against outlawing the shift.  The guys bothered by the shift are the same guys who make the game incredibly boring.  These are the same guys who strike out close to 200 times a season.

One change that would make the game a lot more interesting but would never happen.  Make it a foul ball when you hit the ball over the fence in fair territory.  No more home runs.  It would eliminate guys like Trumbo and Davis.  And you would have more hits and less strike outs. Like I said they would never let that happen but really there should be some way to get rid of the guys who strike out constantly have no speed and try for a home run at every at bat. I think WAR over values such players and I think analytic departments are getting wise to the overvaluation of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I absolutely love the thought of having a DH in the National League. That sure would make inter league play more fair for American League teams. It is also a safety thing when you have a pitcher batting for the first time in a year. There have been countless pitchers that have got hurt during inter league play.

On paper I do too, but I really hate what the DH position has become. In the AL it's basically a wasteland for aging veterans and players who can't play the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

On paper I do too, but I really hate what the DH position has become. In the AL it's basically a wasteland for aging veterans and players who can't play the field. 

The DH was an abortion when it was introduced and continues today.  

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

The DH was an abortion when it was introduced and continues today.  

They should eliminate the DH.  If you aren't good enough to play the field you shouldn't be playing the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah I am against outlawing the shift.  The guys bothered by the shift are the same guys who make the game incredibly boring.  These are the same guys who strike out close to 200 times a season.

One change that would make the game a lot more interesting but would never happen.  Make it a foul ball when you hit the ball over the fence in fair territory.  No more home runs.  It would eliminate guys like Trumbo and Davis.  And you would have more hits and less strike outs. Like I said they would never let that happen but really there should be some way to get rid of the guys who strike out constantly have no speed and try for a home run at every at bat. I think WAR over values such players and I think analytic departments are getting wise to the overvaluation of them. 

As you said though, if the goal is to get rid of one trick ponies like Davis, teams adjust their thinking and stop overvaluing (or valuing at all) those guys.  The problems solves itself.  The though ties in with the DH discussion too, since the DH is a big reason to have those guys in the first place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atomic said:

They should eliminate the DH.  If you aren't good enough to play the field you shouldn't be playing the game.  

So you are okay with great pitchers that can only pitch and field, and bat something like .118 at the plate?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

On paper I do too, but I really hate what the DH position has become. In the AL it's basically a wasteland for aging veterans and players who can't play the field. 

Yeah I don't understand the DH at all. If you don't want the pitcher to bat why not just have only 8 batters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never liked the DH.  Further, if all pitchers have to hit, you would probably see a little more time given to that skill and might get their collective value at the plate up some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ripken said:

As you said though, if the goal is to get rid of one trick ponies like Davis, teams adjust their thinking and stop overvaluing (or valuing at all) those guys.  The problems solves itself.  The though ties in with the DH discussion too, since the DH is a big reason to have those guys in the first place

When Davis was an all-star, he was far from a one trick pony.

He played plus defense at first and could really stretch out to catch the incoming throw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Redskins Rick said:

When Davis was an all-star, he was far from a one trick pony.

He played plus defense at first and could really stretch out to catch the incoming throw.

Talking about Davis now and the other all-or-nothing guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you are okay with great pitchers that can only pitch and field, and bat something like .118 at the plate?

That is the trade-off.   And that's a team decisions.  There are some good hitting pitchers.  I think if pitchers batted in the minor leagues they probably would hit a little bit better in the majors.  But there is no reason you can't play your poor defending, good hitting player in the field.  It will cost you in the defense category and you will have to decide if it is worth it to your team.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 173 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • LF Hays made a nice catch for Zimmerman. In Game 1 Mountcastle could not quite get an early count foul pop by Meadows in a PA that I think ended up a 10 pitch walk.  I don’t think OAA reads that foul ball but it did seem like one some LF could get.  Long way but also big hang time.
    • o   White Sox Clinch 1st Postseason Berth Since 2008: ‘This Moment is Really Special’ (By Lamond Pope) https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-chicago-white-sox-minnesota-twins-20200917-6xydvthatng2tgb53hw2l2gwt4-story.html   o
    • o   White Sox, Rays Secure Berths in the Post-Season (Associated Press) https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2020/09/18/white-sox-rays-secure-berths-in-the-postseason/42656425/   o
    • Just got through the DVR, and here's the lead.  My goodness - that mustache.  It goes right to the childhood McGregor Flanagan reptilian brain stem.  It's hard to see almost anything else. At one look, I'd say it's maybe an interesting call between him and Cobb for Game 5 next year, while whatever shenanigans/surgeries with Baumann, Hall, Rodriguez (and to a lesser extent Smith/Lowther) are waited out. I heard the Driveline last offseason report, but that hits me wrong for 4-pitch mix guys.  I think I think the devil's bargain of the Driveline-type proposition is you give feel and get dominance.  I see Savant had him at 30 FB, 10 SL, 10 CH, so will be curious to see if a 4th pitch comes out in Turn 2. Great story, and could certainly be a once through order or up/down guy for peak Rutschman teams but would hazard a guess that his IP count medium to long term is probably negatively correlated with team success.  Akin has splashed the pool to grow the group to 6 of "SP's I hope make 150+ starts/OpenerFollows for the 2021 Orioles", but I think Lopez, Smith and Lowther are more my 7/8/9 guys, never mind the Fulmers and Stewarts of the waiver wire. I do hope Zimmermann and all those others have somewhere to continue hot (warm, at least) games in October, whether in Bowie, or at some Super Arizona Fall League to be named later.  October/November Super Arizona Fall League could be like the Futures Game every day if anything could be concocted after the World Series.  Darn tootin I want to see Grayson Rodriguez trying to get Wander Franco out then.  
    • Not an impressive debut. Zimmermann's command was bad. I hope he settles down for his next appearance. Smith is a good prospect, but he only pitched 30 innings in AA last year and that was the highest he's gotten in the minors. Zimmermann, Akin, and Kremer all logged at least 150 innings between AA and AAA before this year.  Plus, 40 man roster considerations are always a factor. Zimmermann and Kremer both needed to be added this winter anyway to avoid getting picked in the Rule 5 draft. Smith does not till next winter.
    • Zimmerman's stuff, I was impressed enough. Command, quite another conversation. If he can command that stuff, I think he's okay. Good stuff, no command, see, Cabrera, D.
    • I thought Wojo looked like a hard rocker, lead singer of something like "Ancient Leviticus Ceremonies" or such. Also, today was my first look at Zimmerman, and I was thinking "why is an actor from a 70's cop show throwing out the first pitch?"
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...