Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

Brooks and Frank ....brothers till the end...

Your best work yet, Roy.

standing-ovation.gif

"Frank Robinson always had the severe comportment, the hard eye for enemies, the basic sense of right and wrong, of a pioneer. He walked into a room, and others stood up straighter, heads higher. Now, we bow our heads in respect." - Thomas Boswell, Feb. 7, 2019

• Upvote 3

Great read....Makes me wish I was about 10 years older. I was born in 1965 and have some memories of the 1970 and 1971 WS. Watched both wrap up their careers in the 70's. Brooks was my favorite player as a young kid, and I've had the privilege to meet him several times. Brooks was a great player and an even better human. Wish I had the opportunity to meet Frank. 

The two of them are the reason Baltimore baseball has deep roots...something 14 straight losing seasons and poor ownership decisions can't destroy. 

I wrote this piece last night at midnight in a fit of passion.I had tears in my eyes as I wrote it. Frank was NOT a sentimental man. Brooks had decency and kindness. He welcomed Frank to Baltimore. His respect and love was never forgotten by Frank.I just hope that comes through.

• Thanks 1

This story really speaks to the character of both men and gives me a small sliver of hope in a time where it feels like we're heading in the wrong direction in terms of race based bigotry and hate. 

Thank you Roy, for writing this and sharing it here! I shed many tears as I read this wonderful post! I love how you enrich our knowledge of our beloved O's! I'll never forget those years with the Robinson brothers leading that amazing charge of the Orioles in to baseball history! Those were great years to be an Oriole fan!

Frank, thank you for the memories and championships! You were a great baseball player, but an even greater man! We are all better for having you in our lives!

Rest in Peace! We love you, #20!

On 2/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Roy Firestone said:

I wrote this piece last night at midnight in a fit of passion.I had tears in my eyes as I wrote it. Frank was NOT a sentimental man. Brooks had decency and kindness. He welcomed Frank to Baltimore. His respect and love was never forgotten by Frank.I just hope that comes through.

There were tears in my eyes as I read it.   Roy, I think there is a screenplay there.   It’s a story much needed today where institutions continually tell us to “celebrate diversity”.   Sometimes it’s not always a celebration, it takes courage and effort to improve things.   MLB via MLB network should be looking at a story such as this.   Bring in Barry Levinson for some of his Baltimore atmospherics and I see an important film not just a fan film.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, wildbillhiccup said:

This story really speaks to the character of both men and gives me a small sliver of hope in a time where it feels like we're heading in the wrong direction in terms of race based bigotry and hate. 

I think he as Americans are heading in the right direction.

Thank you Roy.

I remember my first year watching baseball religiously, Frank Robinson and Hank Aaron were the 2 players that hooked me.  I couldn't watch them enough or read enough about them.  The memories that stick out the most were when pitchers tried to intimidate him by throwing high and inside at him.  The next pitch was invariably destroyed over the wall for a homerun.  In my childhood memories, it happened every single time.  You do not... mess with Frank Robinson.  Ever.    

I remember thinking that Cal and Eddie were developing the same kind of relationship that Frank and Brooks had.  Hopefully, it's stuck with them like it did with the Robinsons.    

Roy. Thank you for this.

Certainly a couple of my heros growing up. I can't imagine the hurt Frank felt dealing with all the racism, but I'm sure glad Brooks was there for him when he needed it.

It sure sounds like they had a very special relationship.

RIP Frank Robinson!